Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antonov Invents World's First Two-Speed Supercharger

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks

Antonov Invents World's First Two-Speed Supercharger

Antonov Invents World's First Two-Speed Supercharger

System Adapts Gearbox and Turbocharging Theory to the Supercharger

Author: Justin Couture, Canadian Auto Press

Chances are, unless you’re in the know about automotive components suppliers and developers, you haven’t heard of a company called Antonov. Antonov is a European research and development firm, similar to Bosch or ZF; however, they’re different in that their approach on automotive components comes from a different perspective. Since 1995, the brand has invested over £28 m (equal to $57.6 m CAD, $52 m USD) in R&D for innovation, and has come up with a series of key technology products that include the Mechanical Module, a self-controlled device used to offset centrifugal forces for flywheels, a compact six-speed automatic gearbox, and single as well as dual-clutch manual gearboxes.

Up until now, Antonov spent its efforts on refining and re-thinking conventional transmissions and gearbox-related components, however, this past week the brand moved in a new direction by creating the world’s first twin-speed supercharger. Like the turbocharger, the supercharger is a widely used component designed for improving performance through forced aspiration, the compression of air, although the operation of Antonov’s twin-speed unit is unique. Superchargers use the rotation of the engine’s crankshaft, via belts and pulleys, rather than exhaust gasses - the method for spooling up a turbocharger - to compress fresh air into the combustion chamber. Compared to turbos, which have a lag or delay period before action, a supercharger’s response is instantaneous.

Nevertheless, as with any existing system there is always room for improvement; superchargers have their downfalls. As they use belts to transmit power, a great deal of friction is created, limiting the engine’s ability to turn at high speeds and reducing the overall efficiency of the system. Antonov’s cure to this problem is to combine two types of Rotrex superchargers - one specifically tuned to deliver low-rpm power, and another that operates at higher revs - to create the drive system. The first supercharger is a centrifugal pump system, which is small, simple and light. It serves to generate greater low-end torque, which gives a car its ‘off the line punch’. Once a certain engine speed is attained, a rev range that is adjustable to the type of engine, the drive system switches over to a positive boost (conventional) type supercharger via a gearbox-like mechanism to deliver performance geared to higher engine speeds.

The two-speed supercharger concept that Antonov developed is a similar concept to turbocharging systems that use small and large-sized turbochargers independently to create high pressure boost with little performance lag. While the sequential turbocharging system, as seen in BMW’s high-end 535d turbodiesel sedan, is an effective measure in combating dreaded turbo lag, the system is high in cost, and is very intricate and complex. It will be several years before such systems will be applied to conventional automobiles. Antonov’s twin-speed supercharger is much less complex, and most of the components are encapsulated in a single unit.

The two-speed supercharger will make its debut at the Engine Expo Exhibition in Stuttgart Germany this week, with a demonstration on the Zandvoort racetrack in Holland shortly thereafter. Antonov has already applied its two-speed supercharger technology to two vehicles, including a luxurious Mercedes-Benz and a V8-powered Ford Mustang GT, showing that the system can be installed into two distinctly different types of vehicles without difficulty or re-engineering.

In terms of marketing, Antonov aims to target the import tuner and aftermarket components scene prior to manufacturers; company CEO Jeff Moore says, "Our tactic of selling to the world’s largest market for tuner products is strategically important, particularly while we are in discussion with vehicle manufacturers and tier 1 suppliers interested in high volume applications. It shows OEMs that we are confident enough to launch the variable drive into the industry’s toughest marketplace to prove this is fully developed and readily available technology. We have experienced strong interest and have already supplied units to OEM clients for assessment and development trials."

With today’s high fuel costs, getting more power out of smaller displacement engines is critical, and Antonov’s two-speed supercharger could be the ideal low-cost answer for aftermarket builders and OEMs alike.

http://news.en.autos.sympatico.msn.c...umentid=486028
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Three patents on the supercharging were issued between 1928 and 1931 to Henri and Maurice Farman. In 1935 Rolls Royce reached and agreement and fitted a Farman 2 speed supercharger to the to be famous Merlin engine. ( Damn the patent search can't find them, but they ARE there, I presume one of these three will have covered the 2 speed s/c )

In '46 I know that a Milano raced in the GP with a twin speed supercharger.

So WHAT is "new" about this company's so-called innovation ???
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

lmao, when i saw matra viewing this thread i thought "i bet he pulls up some history record proving that this isn't new."
    excellent work as always matra
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

My dad flew fighters in WW2 and we went to air shows together and usually blagged our way in beside the mechanics. I had greasy hands form an early age Age has an occasional advantage It took only a quick check ( which I was surprised by ) to find that Rolls took the design from the French Farman brothers.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Perhaps you couldn't find the patents because they've expired.... that might explain why it's 'only just been done'.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Perhaps you couldn't find the patents because they've expired.... that might explain why it's 'only just been done'.
    The patent office searches cover ALL patents past and present.
    It might be that it was French patent office originally and they're tno into the Eureopan history yet. ( good point, I'll go look the French language databases !!!! )
    Patent seraches are fun way to pass a few boring hours.
    ( I had to do it as "work" and the way to relieve the boredom was to go read some REALLY old ones Patent language and clauses are detrimental to mental health ! )

Im no engineer here, but wouldnt it work better having the positive displacement supercharger working at low revs and the centrifugal supercharger working at high revs?
    I am the Stig

Um...im working on becoming an engineer....and i was going to say the exact same thing...this system doesnt make any sence. The positive displacement should work at low rpms and the centrifugal at high rpms. By doing it the other way around you bring out the worse in each system. Either thats a typo or this is the dumbest idea ever....

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    damn well we should e-mail this thread to msn.com and show microsoft what they're missing/screwing up on.. I think ppl here are crazy (matra you're beyond that now..just insane) how do you people know all this?? Well thanks for the lesson anyways
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Its a rubbish idea, I'd have a super charger with a clutch so that it would only give a boost at full throttle, like the first supercharged f1 cars (mercs I think). I think it would use less fuel when cruising compared to a normal supercharged car but I'd still have the fun side.

Why bother with that when you can just get a centrifugal supercharger, where their effects are only felt under full throttle
    I am the Stig

Interesting...heheh. First I thought it was a really cool idea, with something a little off compared to what I remember from other cars. Then Matra comes in as usual with some crazy information that no one else knows about, and this whole thing is ended with the thing that I found a "little off" as true, but actually explained. Damn, this thread is chock-full of information, hehehehh.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Why bother with that when you can just get a centrifugal supercharger, where their effects are only felt under full throttle
    Because I thought it up in the shower and because I don't know loads about superchargers.

Combine Rotrex/Antonov AMM 2-speed supercharger.

Antonov Unveils First Two Speed Supercharger
    Text & Photos courtesy Antonov plc
    05-05-2006
    Worlds first enters series production
    The world’s first two speed supercharger drive system to enter series production will be demonstrated by Antonov, the automotive technology company, at the Engine Expo exhibition at Stuttgart in Germany next week. The following week, the racing driver Peter Kox will demonstrate the technology at the Zandvoort race circuit in the Netherlands.

And see the results:

http://www.antonov-clubsite.nl/00000...001/index.html

Antonov has given on the 16th and 17th may 2006 a demonstration with a Ford Mustang and a Chevrolet 1.8 ltr. Both cars where build with a combined Rotrex/Antonov AMM 2-speed step up supercharger.

On the URL above all movies who are made at race circuit Zandvoort (The Netherlands) concerning the driving performance off both cars.

Or:
    http://www.antonov-clubsite.nl
    Then folder “foto & film Galerie”
    Then folder “AVA 2006”
    ================================================== =================

Reacties van de pers.
    What the press writes of the demonstration days:

Demonstration of Antonov’s first commercial product: the geared supercharger
    Yesterday we had the opportunity to be some of the first to experience Antonov’s two speed supercharger at Holland’s Zandvoort race circuit. A number of vehicles were present and whilst the Ford Mustang was the most thrilling the Chevrolet Lacetti (a rebadged Daewoo) was certainly the most impressive.

The Chevrolet has a 1.8 litre engine (just like my Golf 1.8). However, the torque and power felt
    very different, in fact much like that of a 2.3 litre. For example, the car was able to break traction when going into second gear (even with four people in the car!) and we were also able to pull out through corners in third gear (instead of second) due to the large amount of torque at low revolutions.

This ability to provide decent performance with a smaller engine is becoming an increasingly hot topic with auto manufacturers, especially in the wake of high oil prices and tighter emissions controls. In fact, VW have recently announced a diesel engine with makes use of both a supercharger and a turbocharger in order to provide decent performance with a smaller engine at
    all engine speeds whilst minimising emissions (such as the smog caused by turbo diesels accelerating at low turbo pressures).

We view the VW system as a highly complex and expensive solution as there have to be complex control mechanisms to decide when best to de-couple (or re-couple) the super charger to provide performance when required whilst preventing the supercharger from over-running and impacting economy.

We believe Antonov’s two speed supercharger provides a far more elegant solution to the problem by offering an upwardly geared supercharger at low engine speeds and a lowly geared supercharger at high engine speeds in one simple unit. This allows the vehicle to give a far higher and smoother power curve as well as a very clean fuel burn throughout the engine cycle, thus
    keeping emissions low. We are also reassured from our experience yesterday that the system is not only highly effective but also pleasant to drive; a key element for consumers.

The Ford Mustang, as demonstrated by Le Mans driver Peter Kox
    was altogether a different beast; literally. The huge torque from the over 500hp engine made the ride a hairy one and is bound to make a significant impact when it joins the US Hot Rod Power Tour later this year.

The aftermarket Rotrex kit is believed to be receiving a good initial response from the US car tuning market.

We also had the opportunity to experience Antonov’s prototype 6-
    speed gearbox demonstrated in a Rover Streetwise. This was the prototype developed in conjunction with Rover Powertrain before Rover’s collapse. Whilst it was noticeable that the shift quality was not as smooth as traditional automatics, these defects will be ironed out in the full production version being developed by Great Wall Motors of China.
    Unfortunately the Mercedes CLK was not ready for testing; however, we expect to have it available in the UK for demonstration to investors in the coming weeks.

For more stories on the internet about the combine Rotrex/Antonov AMM 2-speed supercharger
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have read from some people that this is NOT a new invention !!! Those don not know about what they are taking because they have not reading anythink about it.

Read this first:

I am sorry to tell you. But it is a pitty you do not have read anything about the concept of it. It is even great as simplicity.

By design of gears NO hydraulic system needed, no heat, no engine power loses, automatic shifting by natural forces, (then you can make it extremely small). etc. Before you give an reaction again, please read first more about this invention. This inventiontion has a fuel reduce of more then 6% and delivers a great boost by driving away. Fuel reduction less harm the inviorement.
    .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.-.

Read: http://www.antonov-transmission.com/amm.htm

Antonov Mechanical Module
    The Antonov Mechanical Module is based on Antonov original patents. The principle is to control the shift with the use of centrifugal force and axial thrust generated by helical gears under load. Therefore, they can work as autonomous self-adapting modules without the need for hydraulic actuation or electronic control.

Lubrication can take place with a small internal pump or using existing oil flows of the driven element.

Possible applications range from optimising an engine supercharger for a car or a boat, to improving car accessories and compressor drive, as well as for transmissions on small recreational vehicles.

The Antonov Mechanical Module is based on one of the first and fundamental inventions of Roumen Antonov. The heart of the device is a self controlling, fully mechanical shift system. It was the principal of balancing shift loads between a speed related load from a centrifugal mechanism and a torque related load from the helical gears. This balance enables smooth, clean shifts to be made across the load and speed range with shifting occurring at higher speeds under higher loads (see diagram).

This concept was initially applied to vehicle transmissions, but the very high demand for shift control did not suit the system characteristics. Work continues to apply the system to ultra low cost and micro cars, but the unit has already found application in areas where a simple two or three speed unit is required. Production is underway for a 2 speed supercharger drive and development work continues on a range of other applications including electric vehicle drives, all terrain vehicles and engine front end and accessory drives.

Or Looke on the Internet about the working of this.

Thread Information