Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RWD outdated?

RWD outdated?

Any of you guys read this months motor trend? They had an artical on tuner cars for v-8 (and v-10 for the viper) engines produced in America....It seemed like the biggest limit on these cars was the grip at the rear wheels....Do you think that even RWD is out dated? is AWD or 4WD nessesary for all high power sports cars to lay down the power?

Cars have been over powering RWD for years, this nothing new. Tyre, suspension and aero technologies get advanced and compensate. Motor Trend is definately on the cutting edge, pointing out problems that have been around for years
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Cars have been over powering RWD for years, this nothing new. Tyre, suspension and aero technologies get advanced and compensate. Motor Trend is definately on the cutting edge, pointing out problems that have been around for years
    you forget that in America almost every car produced is old-fashioned and using 60's technology..... no wonder the magazines are also outdated...

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    you forget that in America almost every car produced is old-fashioned and using 60's technology..... no wonder the magazines are also outdated...
    Ah yes, good point. But remember, the outdated technology used on a lot of RWD US cars actual helps RWD traction, i.e, Live rear ends
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Just imagine if F1's were AWD the cars would act real funny with all that down-force.
    Some of the best handling cars in the world a RWD.
    Something like the new Ford GT handles very nice on a track with that supercharged power.
    Tell me what AWD or FWD car can get wide and use it's rear to get better steer when you have under-steer You drive them so different, Only RWD can bite a corner and help steering out i done it the other day myself, Was going around a corner roundabout with a very wide flowing corner, the car drifted as i went around i wasn't go to slow, As i got closer to the curb i floored it and the rear bit down hard and the front turned me over and away i was going.
    Last edited by SlickHolden; 05-13-2006 at 05:19 AM.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Just imagine if F1's were AWD the cars would act real funny with all that down-force.
    AWD on dry smooth circuits gives very little advantage and costs a LOT in weight - and hence performance.
    Getting drive frmo back to front takes up space -- space that isnt' ther anymore Even when it was tried the last time it was a struggle
    Some of the best handling cars in the world a RWD.
    Actuall some of the "best handling" cars are FWD
    Just not "FAST and best handling"
    Something like the new Ford GT handles very nice on a track with that supercharged power.
    Confusing "handling" and "power" ? Which is it ?
    Both being an accpetable answer in that case as being "very nice"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'd rather drive a 'teg Type R round a track than a GT, probably much better handling and you wouldn't really have to worry about when to give it some right foot
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by SLoppYJeeP
    Any of you guys read this months motor trend? They had an artical on tuner cars for v-8 (and v-10 for the viper) engines produced in America....It seemed like the biggest limit on these cars was the grip at the rear wheels....Do you think that even RWD is out dated? is AWD or 4WD nessesary for all high power sports cars to lay down the power?
    I think it's more a case of AWD being seriously overrated.

IMO AWD is alot like stability control. To most people theyre the solution to all road accidents, but theyre more of a placebo than anything. 9/10 times, RWD is all you need as Matra pointed out. AWD becomes a necessity when youre driving on the limit in the extremes of weather.

Ive got an interesting bit of a story for this actually as well. Recently the Targa Tasmania event was held here and as usual, Jim Richards was entering with one of his Porches. There'd been alot of rain already on the roads covered, and plenty more predicted, so Richards was saying he didnt have time to switch between his RWD 911 GT2 to his AWD 911 Turbo as under the conditions, that wouldve been faster. He ended up still winning in the GT2, and had some stiff AWD competition with a pair of Gallardo's entered and a few factory backed STi's.
    I am the Stig

You don't need AWD for massive power. Just look at the Weineck Cobra 780!

Ok, so.. you kinda do. But that's more fun.

The Bugatti Veyron needs AWD to operate, but I never heard of a AWD ferrari or mclaren yet. I think a LSD and traction control systems will get power down good enough if the power isn't to massive.

[QUOTE=fpv_gtho] 9/10 times, RWD is all you need as Matra pointed out. AWD becomes a necessity when youre driving on the limit in the extremes of weather. QUOTE]

It may be 9/10 times for someone from sydney, but when you live here and there is snow sometimes for 5 months at a time, RWD is the most useless thing to have. Many people here who have RWD cars also have a seperate FWD or AWD car for the winter
    Last edited by mclaren_crazy; 05-13-2006 at 07:43 AM.
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

when i used to live in canada i never ever needed fwd or awd. it was never a "necessity"
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

RWD > AWD

RWD is for drivers
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    AWD on dry smooth circuits gives very little advantage and costs a LOT in weight - and hence performance.
    Getting drive frmo back to front takes up space -- space that isnt' ther anymore Even when it was tried the last time it was a struggle

Actuall some of the "best handling" cars are FWD
    Just not "FAST and best handling"

Confusing "handling" and "power" ? Which is it ?
    Both being an accpetable answer in that case as being "very nice"
    It would be both.

I have seen FWD cars left a rear wheels and loose the rear and huge speeds and just never come back, thats what good about RWD there is always a chance,
    AWD is for drivers who can't drive RWD cars over the limit

Now i don't want F1's to have AWD, With the down force they have now who needs a AWD that has under-steer? And for the wet who needs AWD My cars weight is about the same as a V8 supercar. It can get twitchy in the wet And it's throttle snappy that helps.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information