Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RWD outdated?

Quote Originally Posted by SLoppYJeeP
    Any of you guys read this months motor trend? They had an artical on tuner cars for v-8 (and v-10 for the viper) engines produced in America....It seemed like the biggest limit on these cars was the grip at the rear wheels....Do you think that even RWD is out dated? is AWD or 4WD nessesary for all high power sports cars to lay down the power?
    Since this wasnt mentioned yet, those tuner cars were wearing street tires. With that much power its almost stupid to have real street tires.

for the 1/4 they were allowed drag radials, better than regular street tires, but still DOT approved. Mind you that they the whole purpose was to compete against the bone stock Z06, so naturally they have to be street legal. Even though not a single of the tuners was able to pass CA Emissions testing.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    for the 1/4 they were allowed drag radials, better than regular street tires, but still DOT approved. Mind you that they the whole purpose was to compete against the bone stock Z06, so naturally they have to be street legal. Even though not a single of the tuners was able to pass CA Emissions testing.
    Incorrect, the Accufab Ford GT passed the test.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    The driver was my brother and the car was a Magna, And he is very capable driver, Last years Bathurst he got the Ford Territory into a Drift around a tree Trust me that was a site.
    He got to the corner with this magna t/c was nuts and it went straight he hit the power hard turned harder it just went all bad.
    EXACTLY...... WHen FWD goes UNDERsteer you do NOT put in more power
    RWD driver gettign it all mixed up, seen it many times
    Nothgin to be ashamed of, we tend to revert to our "norm" when it's on teh edge
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-15-2006 at 03:38 AM. Reason: oops, typed over when it was meant to have been under :D
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    EXACTLY...... WHen FWD goes oversteer you do NOT put in more power
    So what happen to the most people get FWD cars all wrong because they don't know that they can take a corner faster that is in-fact better then going slow and over steering?
    Isn't that just like any car, If the RWD gets sideways and we are in a older car with live rear and no safety gear to help us out, If we want we can just let off the power or tap the brakes a couple of times to bring it in order.
    I myself have fun in FWD cars there cornering is amazing without the twitchy rear end, And the body roll is almost not there very flat and comfortable. But they do feel heavier at the front when pushed harder and harder.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Refocusing on the issue at hand...the RWD wasnt a problem when it came to handling the car, just when doing 1/4 mile and mile acceleration tests. The Hennessey viper would spin the back tires through all of the gears, granted a FWD car with over 1000 hp would spin the tires even more, but would an AWD car?

EXACTLY...... WHen FWD goes oversteer you do NOT put in more power
    um ... when are you suppose to add power when there's oversteer ?? certainly not in a rwd car cuz that would just cause more tailspin wouldnt it ?? that's kind of the whole point of drifting ...

I personally love rear wheel drive and the reasons vary from logical to unexplainable. The premise that rwd is outdated seems based on the ability to transfer power effectively to the rear wheels and maintain traction. For everyday use few cars need the type of power delivery that causes this problem especially with traction control. So we are talking about high-performance and the usage of power that is in excess of what is generally need or legal on the street. Lamborghini and Porsche among others use AWD to deliver this power so it is logical that extremely high powered cars will have an advantage form distributing the available power through all wheels at least in the are a of initial launch.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    um ... when are you suppose to add power when there's oversteer ?? certainly not in a rwd car cuz that would just cause more tailspin wouldnt it ?? that's kind of the whole point of drifting ...
    hee-hee well spotted typo
    Yeah FWDs is UNDERsteer as SlickH described his borthers issue !!
    I've gone back and cahnged the original too, so it dont' trigger fgurther confusion.
    When an FWD goes into OVER steer, then it's ALL about easing throttle on to pull it out.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

So what happen to the most people get FWD cars all wrong because they don't know that they can take a corner faster that is in-fact better then going slow and over steering?
    THink my mis-typo of oiver v under may caused soem confusion.
    Lets' reset this questino and re-ask
    Isn't that just like any car, If the RWD gets sideways and we are in a older car with live rear and no safety gear to help us out, If we want we can just let off the power or tap the brakes a couple of times to bring it in order.
    Braking in a RWD on over steer isnt' advised as it CAN just upset things.
    Feeding the power to match the over steer is "best".
    Of course we're talkgin competition/track.,
    ON THE ROAD, you want to FIRST not drive so fast it happens and second ease fo the throttle in all cases to slow down.
    Sticing in there right foot braking and power sliding is for track
    ( here ends the government healthe warngin )
    I myself have fun in FWD cars there cornering is amazing without the twitchy rear end, And the body roll is almost not there very flat and comfortable. But they do feel heavier at the front when pushed harder and harder.
    Yeah, they'll always feel like you're begin dragged int a corner by the front end
    But surpsiginly not all -- the Lotsu Elan S2 was amazing in behaving most like a RWD with an FWD platform

THink my mis-typo of oiver v under may caused soem confusion.
    Lets' reset this questino and re-ask

Braking in a RWD on over steer isnt' advised as it CAN just upset things.
    Feeding the power to match the over steer is "best".
    Of course we're talkgin competition/track.,
    ON THE ROAD, you want to FIRST not drive so fast it happens and second ease fo the throttle in all cases to slow down.
    Sticing in there right foot braking and power sliding is for track
    ( here ends the government healthe warngin )

Yeah, they'll always feel like you're begin dragged int a corner by the front end
    But surpsiginly not all -- the Lotsu Elan S2 was amazing in behaving most like a RWD with an FWD platform
    Re First Question. Confuses say
    Now i was told that most people get FWD cars all wrong, That to turn coroners better most people don't realise that maybe that little extra speed will help the FWD car not understeer. Is this true?.

Re First Question. Confuses say
    Now i was told that most people get FWD cars all wrong, That to turn coroners better most people don't realise that maybe that little extra speed will help the FWD car not understeer. Is this true?.
    Yes. If it's understeering just come off the throttle and if still needed put a little more steering input in. The weight transfer helps the fronts bite and as it scrubs off speed it will turn in.
    BUT if you are cracking on and are REALLY underesteering then is when the driver has got out of their depth if they arent' completely comfortable using the left foot to brake whilst applying power to balance it all and/or in really tight to pull the handbrake ( whilst still dancing on the clutch/brake/throttle )
    Simplest instruction always given to Mini rally drivers -- go in to a corner 20mph FASTER than you ever imagine you can make it round in and then come off the throttle.

Yes. If it's understeering just come off the throttle and if still needed put a little more steering input in. The weight transfer helps the fronts bite and as it scrubs off speed it will turn in.
    BUT if you are cracking on and are REALLY underesteering then is when the driver has got out of their depth if they arent' completely comfortable using the left foot to brake whilst applying power to balance it all and/or in really tight to pull the handbrake ( whilst still dancing on the clutch/brake/throttle )
    Simplest instruction always given to Mini rally drivers -- go in to a corner 20mph FASTER than you ever imagine you can make it round in and then come off the throttle.
    I was born with a left foot on the brake peddle
    I got a little happy last night in the wet got a little out of shape. It snapped hard left then real hard right hurt my neck to and i tapped the brake and went off. Not off off drove off holding my neck thinking bloody wanker!
    I used to handbrake in the old Gemini good handbrake.

There is a wide corner near my sisters house she was driving and i was egging her on a little, She turned this wide corner or bend i should say @ 80kp/h. If i take that in my car @ 70kp/h i know the rear might dance the jig

And you say the VP fixed some of the problems from the VN

Was this in the Gen-2? If its anything like a 98 Camry, its probably alot more balanced at speed than trying to suddenly change direction at low speeds...
    I am the Stig

I got remuld tyres with 40% tread i need some new ones it was poring.

Yeah the Gen-2 it's very flat and very sharp in it's handling, I guess thats the lotus side to it.

Thread Information