Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RWD outdated?

Intrigued to what hte hell happened that a driver willing and able to get a FWD that fast didnt' knwo hwo to stick in there.
    FWD is easier at the limit, but you just have to use 3 pedals and 2 feet simultaneously.
    Mis-judging things is the cause of then understeering off, cos once youve' exceeded the traction you're stuck with understeer )
    Sounds like you saw someone who didnt' knwo how to
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

In order: RWD, AWD, FWD. Depending of the conditions and environment of course.

[BORED AND ONLY TYPING RANDOM NONSENSE]
    Reason I say this: BMW is regarded as one of the best makers of RWD cars and not even they can build a better AWD car than their own RWD cars. Audi is considered one of the best FWD carmakers on the other hand, but their AWD cars are considered way better. Based on this, RWD best, AWD second-best, FWD not-so-best.
    [/BORED AND ONLY TYPING RANDOM NONSENSE]

Miscelaneous FWD rambling:

FWD don't handle badly, they just have lower limits. As a car accelerates, weight transfers to the back when. In a FWD this means lack of traction for the drive wheels. Also, since the engine/transmission are sitting in the front, the majority of weight is in the front and other disadvantages. In braking, the rear wheels become unloaded and lose traction sooner. When pushing a FWD car through a corner it is more likely to start understeering, as it overloads it's grip in the front wheels. Understeer can be incorporated into how a high performance FWD is driven. By taking this "safe", at-the-limit handling characteristic into account FWD can be flogged quite hard.

Another advantage is directional stability. If you've read those Ads that tout the benefits of FWD, state that the driven wheels in a FWD steer a car through a turn. Whereas in a RWD the drive wheels push straight ahead as the front wheels try to change direction.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

if u kno how to drive rwd is the way to go. awd just adds weight and gives a little traction but does not make u drive better. you see rwd has a finess to it.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by SLoppYJeeP
    Any of you guys read this months motor trend? They had an artical on tuner cars for v-8 (and v-10 for the viper) engines produced in America....It seemed like the biggest limit on these cars was the grip at the rear wheels....Do you think that even RWD is out dated? is AWD or 4WD nessesary for all high power sports cars to lay down the power?
    What they need is less power, more chasis...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

[QUOTE=mclaren_crazy]
    Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    9/10 times, RWD is all you need as Matra pointed out. AWD becomes a necessity when youre driving on the limit in the extremes of weather. QUOTE]

It may be 9/10 times for someone from sydney, but when you live here and there is snow sometimes for 5 months at a time, RWD is the most useless thing to have. Many people here who have RWD cars also have a seperate FWD or AWD car for the winter
    rwd is prolly better in winter then fwd, if you understeer with a front driver you really have nothing to do but lay off the gas and wait till the car stabilizes, if you understeer with a rwd you can give it some throttle and put it sideways which corrects your bearing and scrubs off alot of speed, tho in the hands of an inexperienced driver rwd is more of a curse then a blessing

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    It would be both.

I have seen FWD cars left a rear wheels and loose the rear and huge speeds and just never come back, thats what good about RWD there is always a chance,
    AWD is for drivers who can't drive RWD cars over the limit

Now i don't want F1's to have AWD, With the down force they have now who needs a AWD that has under-steer? And for the wet who needs AWD My cars weight is about the same as a V8 supercar. It can get twitchy in the wet And it's throttle snappy that helps.
    you cant generalize something based on one incident, if i see a guy lose it in a rwd and smack ass first into a tree does that make all rwds bad ?? no

fwd's are better then rwd at some elements and rwds are better in others, there is no perfect drivetrain, just a perfect drivetrain for specific types of driving, in small cars with relatively low power the ff's disadvantages are mellowed out and often do better then rwd cars of the same class, when you move up in power and size rwd becomes better, when you have so much power (bugatti) without alot of downforce (most road cars) then awd becomes a neccesity

would you say the original civic type r had bad handling ?? the TSX ?? the integra ??

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Intrigued to what hte hell happened that a driver willing and able to get a FWD that fast didnt' knwo hwo to stick in there.
    FWD is easier at the limit, but you just have to use 3 pedals and 2 feet simultaneously.
    Mis-judging things is the cause of then understeering off, cos once youve' exceeded the traction you're stuck with understeer )
    why would fwd be easier at the limit ?? id rather have controllable oversteer over uncontrollable understeer

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    why would fwd be easier at the limit ?? id rather have controllable oversteer over uncontrollable understeer
    Because it takes a more skilled driver to correct oversteer rather than to correct understeer. If you've got understeer in a front driver all an average driver can do (not taking into account left-foot braking, because I doubt the average driver can do it) is take the foot of the throttle and hope you didn't go too fast go off the road and that's instictive. However to correct oversteer is not as instinctive, there's more to it than just doing opposite lock.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Because it takes a more skilled driver to correct oversteer rather than to correct understeer. If you've got understeer in a front driver all an average driver can do (not taking into account left-foot braking, because I doubt the average driver can do it) is take the foot of the throttle and hope you didn't go too fast go off the road and that's instictive. However to correct oversteer is not as instinctive, there's more to it than just doing opposite lock.
    guess that puts me into the catagory of skilled driver huh ??
    jksjks

[quote=KnifeEdge_2K1]
    Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy

rwd is prolly better in winter then fwd, if you understeer with a front driver you really have nothing to do but lay off the gas and wait till the car stabilizes,
    That's when a quick stab of the brake whilst still keepign a little power on adn at the final a quick pull on the handbrake.
    RWD has hte advantage you can control steer with only the throittle.
    FWD has more possibilities, but requires more actions from the driver
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

There is a Toyota starlet over in NSW in Australia that absolutely dominates against RWD cars in Improved Production racing. Its a under 2Litre car. It's that quick that its faster than most over 2litre cars, in it's last race it would have placed second in the open class at Eastern Creek Raceway NSW, which is known as a HP circuit due to its long straights. A well set up FWD car can be as fast as a RWD car, just cant do big skids out of corners

Overs 2litre race
    http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re.../2006.ARDC.R27

Under 2 litre race
    http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re.../2006.ARDC.R25
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    The driver was my brother and the car was a Magna, And he is very capable driver, Last years Bathurst he got the Ford Territory into a Drift around a tree Trust me that was a site.
    He got to the corner with this magna t/c was nuts and it went straight he hit the power hard turned harder it just went all bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    you cant generalize something based on one incident, if i see a guy lose it in a rwd and smack ass first into a tree does that make all rwds bad ?? no

fwd's are better then rwd at some elements and rwds are better in others, there is no perfect drivetrain, just a perfect drivetrain for specific types of driving, in small cars with relatively low power the ff's disadvantages are mellowed out and often do better then rwd cars of the same class, when you move up in power and size rwd becomes better, when you have so much power (bugatti) without alot of downforce (most road cars) then awd becomes a neccesity

would you say the original civic type r had bad handling ?? the TSX ?? the integra ??
    That was only one incident i spoke of not only one incident i know of.
    I have drove many of them FWD cars. Holden Camira Toyota Corollas Proton Gen-2 just a few, And while i was in the Proton with it's lotus suspension and hit a corner @ 20kp/h faster then i would have in my RWD car and flat as a tack to, It was the wide corner again where the car just stayed out far when giving it all to crap it back around. It was then that same corner i took my car and it bit harder down at the rear and straighten.
    Last edited by SlickHolden; 05-14-2006 at 09:32 AM.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

The RWD vs. FWD vs. AWD debate can only go so far before other factors have to be considered as well. Suspension-type, weight distribution & type of tyres come to mind.

And with all the safety features on cars now a days T/C EBD ESP even a RWD can be fantastic in the wet with all that safety gear.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information