14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barcelona

7 50.00%
  • Arsenal

7 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 UEFA Champions League final

2006 UEFA Champions League final

Tonight is the night. In Paris' Stade de France the two best European teams of the moment will compete. Englands Arsenal and Spains Barcelona will fight till the end.

The match brings together two of club football's most attractive teams with the newly-crowned Spanish champions having scored 114 goals in all competitions this season, while Arsenal's progress to their first European Champion Clubs' Cup showpiece has been most notable for a record-breaking ten successive clean sheets and the elimination of Real Madrid CF, Juventus and Villarreal CF. The game pits the tournament's best attack against its most formidable defence, with Barcelona's 12 games having brought 22 goals while Arsenal have been breached just twice overall.

And a bit of spicy news to conclude this: yesterday the UEFA decided to replace assistent-referee Ole Hermann Borgan after he posed in a shirt of the Catalunyan side in his local newspaper. He will be replaced by Arild Sundet. The norwegian official called his action 'stupid' and said that he posed because 'he was proud to be in the final'. That dream has now collapsed... Apart from that is that his fellow countryman Terje Hauge will lead this exciting final.

Last edited by jorismo; 05-17-2006 at 02:06 AM.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo

And a bit of spicy news to conclude this: yesterday the UEFA decided to replace assistent-referee Ole Hermann Borgan after he posed in a shirt of the Catalunyan side in his local newspaper. He will be replaced by Arild Sundet. The norwegian official called his action 'stupid' and said that he posed because 'he was proud to be in the final'. That dream has now collapsed... Apart from that is that his fellow countryman Terje Hauge will lead this exciting final.
    That was a rather harsh move by the UEFA, The referee was not showing partizanship for any of the clubs, he was merely happy to be in th final. But then again, can ou imagine the effect that it would have, if he had callled a contreversial play in the barca's favor? SO allthough very harsh, it is also a very smart move by the Uefa.

Jorismo, maybe you should set up a poll, there is still time from here to the final, maybe one of the mods can do it....

Allthough both teams play fantastic football, i am going to Pick Barcelona, It seems they will have the upper hand because they have so many game deciding, original players, and this level of Competition, it might just be what nudges you in front. A hint of magic from deco, Messi(is he recuperated?), giuly, larsson, etoo or ronaldinho.

It will be a Great final i think....
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Come On Arsenal!!!!!!!!
    I aint know "rookie"
    2006 Ford Mustang 4.6 V8 Premium GT
    2008 Chrysler 300C SRT Design
    2007 Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2
    1972 MG Midget 1275

I'm going for Barcelona too. The second semi-final Villareal - Arsenal was a disgrace. Arsenal did nothing more than defend their goal made in the first semi-final. They just don't deserve to win tonight.
    They probably won't win anyway because they finished only 4th in the Premiership and Barcelona has already beaten the number one Chelsea.
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

Liverpool finished fourth last year and won.... and everyone knows that Chelsea buy all their victories..
    "Please, just stop blabbering! If you want to blabber...go to supercars.net cause UCP aint gonna accept this kind of behaviour." - Gtek-i

http://junaman.wordpress.com/ New articles up.

These are both my favourite European teams. I never expected this would happen as these both teams haven't won many CL (barca 1 arsenal 0). But I want Arsenal to win this because it's also Bergkamps goodbye game and he is one of the best ever dutch players imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijoh
    I'm going for Barcelona too. The second semi-final Villareal - Arsenal was a disgrace. Arsenal did nothing more than defend their goal made in the first semi-final. They just don't deserve to win tonight.
    That's a bit harsh really. You're criticising a team for doing a good job and winning a football match fairly and squarely. You're forgetting they almost lost the game after Villareal won a penalty in the last minute from a blatant dive in the box. THAT would've been an injustice.

By the same token you could argue that Barca don't deserve to win because they just sat and defended a 1-0 lead against Milan in the semi. Also Shevchenko had a perfectly good goal disallowed for Milan, so Barca were just as fortunate to make it through. Cup competitions invariably rely on who gets that little bit of luck at the right times, not who has the most expensive squad and best league form. Just look at what Liverpool did last year. Both Arsenal and Barca have played well in the CL, but also got the right breaks at the right time in the key games, so both fully deserve to be there and it should be a very close game.

I have a bad feeling though that with all this talk of it being a clash between the two most attractive teams in world football that we may end up getting a tense and rather dull match, with both teams cancelling each other out. Don't be suprised if it ends up being a dour, uneventful 1-0 victory for either side.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Go Barça!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I have to go with Barca too. If you just look at the spanish line-up, it makes you excited already. Names like Messi, Puyol, Larsson, Eto'o and of course Ronaldinho. I can't wait to see the final. But then again, we all expected Milan to win last year, and it turned out different...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

I'll probably have my Scottish passport revoked, but I've got to go with Arsenal.
    They pull it out when it's needed !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

though i support both, i'd have to go with arsenal.... bergkamp's retiring, pires is on the verge of leaving, henry doesn't know what to do with his future... so on paper, this is probably thier best chance of european glory... both play attractive and beautiful football but i like arsenal's fluid movement over barcelona's flashy tricks...
    "The Zonda S has a deep lion's-roar baritone. The F has gone all Formula 1 on us, a hard-edged ripping shriek"

SPOILER .....

Class goal from Campbell, so easy
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Barcelona 0-1 Arsenal

2023: GOAL Barcelona 0 - 1 Arsenal
    Incredibly Sol Campbell puts Arsenal ahead. The England centre-half rises to place a thumping header into the net from Thierry Henry's right-wing free-kick from eight yards out.

I've removed the text AGAIN.
    STOP posting spoilers for live events ... SOME folsk wont get coverage till later.
    BE REASONABLE.

aHHH SORRY DIDNT REALISE THOUGHT EVERY1 WAS WATCHING AT SAME TIME

BTW, if anyone REALLY feels the urge to be up-to-date and hasnt' coverage then http://home.skysports.com/opta/footb...204/index.html gives it minute-by-minute and
    Last edited by matek; 05-17-2006 at 12:45 PM. Reason: DONT SPOIL IT FOR THOSE WATCHING LATER .....
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

Go Arsenal!
    ________
    Medical Marijuana
    Last edited by hec16; 08-20-2011 at 09:00 PM.

After seeing the first half I'm expecting Barca to win. Of course there is no real weak links on the field, but in a way I see Barcelona being a step ahead, especially after what happened after 17 minutes of playing (in white just to prevent any possible spoilers).
    Last edited by twinspark; 05-17-2006 at 12:44 PM.

Thread Information