Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ch 10 loses rights to V8 Supercar

Ch 10 loses rights to V8 Supercar

I knew it would happen, but prayed it wouldnt. I brought it up with Cyco one day, about ten losing the rights for V8 Supertaxi's to channel 9. He said something on the lines of 'If Alan Jones commentates I'll kill myself'... Well maybe not THAT drastic but close. Well matey, it gets better, Andy Raymond and Bruce Macavaney... oh Joy... Any comments guys?
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Well.. that removes most of the point of Channel 10 and RPM... is it official? Got some sort of press release? How long until we get Eddie's Racing Hour?

That will be special , seriously I think V8 Supercars is biting the hand that feeds it. Channel 10 took it on when no-one else wanted it and now they get shafted. Tony Cockrane is a you know what
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Its very unannounced but official, its in the advertiser today, and on the NT News website too. Cochrane publically says nc though. Oh, pimento, where does Eddie come into channel 7 btw? Shit, that also means Dennis Commeti will be available too...Oh Crap, V8SCA, what the hell have you morons gone and done this time?
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    channel 9
    About there.

sorry, i should clarify, we were discussing the what ifs if channel nine got it, sorry mate....
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Umm? Ok, I obvously missed a missive somewhere. Please to be clarifying: Are the rights to the V8s being bought/sold? To whom?

Thanks.

They get 'sold every 3 years i believe, V8SCA sells the rights to broadcast the races and from next year, channel 7 has them. Channel 10 obviously spent too much on footy...
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Ahhh, that e'splains it all.

That's a shame, though I get better channel 7 reception than 10, so.. not all bad.

I guess I wont miss Leigh Diffy's voice screechen everytime someone yawns... Its a shame though, Billy Woods was just hitting his stride at Bathurst. I think its a bit of tit for tat over Channel 10 refusing to broadcast the Sandown 500 live if it was to be held on the original day it was scheduled. I hope 7 doesnt grab Mark Oastler, he's a great magazine man, but absolutely pathetic as an announcer...
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Yeah, Diffey is a pain. Woods is quite respectable. Worst loss will be Neil Crompton, one of the most astute commentators I've heard

Channel 7's Bathurst coverage really sank to pathetic depths in later years. Remember all those mid-race interviews with racer's wives and/or mothers, and that never-ending stream of irrelevant politicians, golfers, football stars?

And when we were lucky enough to see motor racing, good old Mike Raymond (the big round mound of sound) usually concentrated solely on the leader (ie the one car, all by itself) for hour after extended hour, while the rest of the field was totally ignored

The one bit of good coming from this is CH10 will be increasing its Formula 1 commitments, so hopefully that means goodbye ITV coverage and goodbye James Allen and Martin Brundle.

You would think that because CH7 now has the rights, they offered a better deal than 10, but from most accounts they simply won a bidding war, and are hoping to get more Saturday races so as not to conflict with their Sunday AFL commitments. If the CH10 commentary team stays at 10, its likely to be Matthew White and someone else doing it, or you would think so considering White used to be part of the CH10 team.
    I am the Stig

Most of these commentators have been with 7 when they had the series.
    Worst one to look out for is that goose that did the commenting for 7 in the early 90's cant think of his name. That might be him nota mike Raymond, Was he the guy that had a little girly voice fat moon face and maybe glasses.
    Brucie wont do V8's.
    Will CH10 loose the F1's also? CH10 has been doing naughty to get the AFL back. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a bundle deal if you know what i mean to CH7.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

It is absolutely going to suck not having Neil's on Wheels commentating the V8's. Trying to stay in denial about that one. The guy is absolutely brilliant, especially the grasp of the language he has. What other commentator would even attempt to explain a wheel and tyre as a defacto spring, and, less yet, actually manage to explain it in simple enough terms so that the average yobbo sitting on his couch downing VB's by the slab full can understand. I think its the saddest thing for the V8's since probably before Greg Murphy didnt get smacked by Ambrose at Bathurst last year.
    As to F1 getting better coverage? Did you see the crap they showed this year that they called the Australian Grand Prix? It was pathetic, three days of the same stories in the same order... And support categories? What are they? Oh, theyre those things we fill Trackside with in 6 weeks time... Don't know about you, but a whole weekend of watching Diff and Rusty talk to idiots in the paddock doesnt enthuse me. I was looking forward to the speed challenge, the F3's, all those little supporters that make the event. If they dont pick their act up next year they can get stuffed, I'll just go and watch it live in Melbourne.
    Just thought of somethen aint to bad, Grant Denyer might get the gig hosting it. That wouldnt be so bad, he was ok as the pit lane guy a couple of years ago...
    Last edited by Daz27; 05-20-2006 at 08:53 PM.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Niel has the respect of the teams and drivers so that is also an advantage, He gets into places like Alan Jones does with F1 teams, But he has been a CH7 before and i know he will go back unless his contract is holding him to CH10.

But Ambrose is to smart to through punches at a Mad Kiwi
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information