Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do car magazines from the UK have to be SO expensive?

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally

Why do car magazines from the UK have to be SO expensive?

My aunt in NJ is a librarian and so she gets to read about 10,00090 different type of magazines on subscribtion from the library. She knows I'm a petrolhead so she said she'd be able to subscribe a car mag for me (of my choice) if it didn't come to more than 100 dhs which is about $35. Since she's in the US her first choices were C&D and Motortrend but I wanted either Top Gear or EVO because from personal reading-in-the-supermarket experiences C&D have a few screws to tighten. There was a comparison once between the Exige and another car in it's class - the Exige came on top. But nooo, they still had to find some faults, and you know which?

PROS:
    - Racingcar Build
    - Racingcar Go
    - Racingcar Brakes

CONS:
    - No Creature Comforts
    - Racingcar Soul

I shut the magazine there because that was one of the stupidest cons I've ever read. It's obvious that if a car has all those track-oriented properties it's meant for the TRACK and they just wanted to fill out some blanks. Anyways getting back on point I checked out on EVO and TG and for overseas both came to nearly 570 dhs! That's just crazy for magazine subscription and I don't think the paper quality is too good compared to the Americans. Well what makes British car magazines SO expensive? I understand UK is expensive but surely it doesn't equate to THAT much? In the supermarkets C&D and Top Gear (no EVO though ) are sold at nearly the same price!

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    My aunt in NJ is a librarian and so she gets to read about 10,00090 different type of magazines on subscribtion from the library. She knows I'm a petrolhead so she said she'd be able to subscribe a car mag for me (of my choice) if it didn't come to more than 100 dhs which is about $35. Since she's in the US her first choices were C&D and Motortrend but I wanted either Top Gear or EVO because from personal reading-in-the-supermarket experiences C&D have a few screws to tighten. There was a comparison once between the Exige and another car in it's class - the Exige came on top. But nooo, they still had to find some faults, and you know which?

PROS:
    - Racingcar Build
    - Racingcar Go
    - Racingcar Brakes

CONS:
    - No Creature Comforts
    - Racingcar Soul

I shut the magazine there because that was one of the stupidest cons I've ever read. It's obvious that if a car has all those track-oriented properties it's meant for the TRACK and they just wanted to fill out some blanks. Anyways getting back on point I checked out on EVO and TG and for overseas both came to nearly 570 dhs! That's just crazy for magazine subscription and I don't think the paper quality is too good compared to the Americans. Well what makes British car magazines SO expensive? I understand UK is expensive but surely it doesn't equate to THAT much? In the supermarkets C&D and Top Gear (no EVO though ) are sold at nearly the same price!
    MotorTrend is slightly improving in quality, but you're right, it's not to the same level of Top Gear and EVO. (Motor Trend is a good magazine for casual automotive readers and American automobile fans)

Where in NJ does she live?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    MotorTrend is slightly improving in quality, but you're right, it's not to the same level of Top Gear and EVO. (Motor Trend is a good magazine for casual automotive readers and American automobile fans)
    I'm into the Americas but I like a nice detailed explanation of all areas. I read online versions of EVO and the articles they do on history and racing are awesome.

I'll ask

$35 for a whole year?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Got that wrong, sorry. She lives in Richmond, Virginia. My other aunt lives in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo
    $35 for a whole year?
    That was the budget. If I want the subscription it works out to $28 with 13 issues.

Evo and Top Gear are huge magazines with excellent photography and incredibly indepth writing. Quality costs money.

For a months worth of writing, £4 isn't bad. Autocar magazine is £2.20 a week ... £8.80 a month!

Here they are quite expensive compared to the local magazines, but as Exige says you pay for quality. I don't buy them as often as spanish car magazines, but from time to time I buy Car or EVO, and it's really worth it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

That was the budget. If I want the subscription it works out to $28 with 13 issues.
    Awesome. A one-year subscription to Sport-Auto (the best french mag) costs €55 (12 issues).

i can say as i'm subscripting a british mag (CAR) and i'm living outside england

the reason why are they so expensive (for people outside uk) is that in uk everything is more expensive than in other countries

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117
    Awesome. A one-year subscription to Sport-Auto (the best french mag) costs €55 (12 issues).
    i'm not an expert in french literature, but isn't 'automobiles classiques' better?
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi
    i'm not an expert in french literature, but isn't 'automobiles classiques' better?

It depends on what you are looking for. I you want an equivalent of EVO or Top Gear, Sport-Auto is clearly the best mag you can buy. Automobiles Classiques is rather about classic cars.

the English Pound is an expensive currency, and magazine sellers add a significant margin.

I bought a copy of Octane recently in amsterdam and paid 10.49 Euro. At the current exchange rate of about 1.6 Euro to the pound, that would be equivalent to 6.55 pound. However the selling price in the UK is only 3.85.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I bought a copy of Evo in Denmark ... came out to like £7. I almost cried.

So which is considered best: Evo, Top Gear, or CAR?
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

PROS:
    - Racingcar Build
    - Racingcar Go
    - Racingcar Brakes

CONS:
    - No Creature Comforts
    - Racingcar Soul

I shut the magazine there because that was one of the stupidest cons I've ever read. It's obvious that if a car has all those track-oriented properties it's meant for the TRACK and they just wanted to fill out some blanks.
    that was a comparison between the Cayman and the Exige and the Cayman won because it was FASTER around the same track as the so called "track car" and had a better interior/comfort at around the same price. AND the lows did not include racecar soul (where ever you got that info) the lows were Race car noise limited rear view and race car creature comforts. Race car soul was actually in the HIGHS.

The reason magazines from other countries are expensive is mostly postage costs. When we did inserts on my mag, the biggest cost for the advertiser was the extra price incured through the additional few grams. And that didn't even go abroad.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Thread Information