Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackass Clarkson destroys 911

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Anyway, it was a complete 911 bodyshell and it sounds like a functional 911 engine too. Destroying them is always a disrespect for those who spend years recovering cars. That "fun item" had a real and considerable value.
    Do you knwo HOW MANY rusty , failing emissions, worn out 911s there ARE abotu here ?
    LOADS.
    Lets keep it in context..... we're not talking about somethign that is that rare or is cheap enough for "joe bloggs" to restore. We went over this with the Lambo they "destroyed" .... if it's on it's way to the scrappies then it's gone.
    It may hurt every 911-wannabee-owner BUT they DO get crushed !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

^^ That's it - it's not even like Top Gear are pretending to be a serious car show - so why the beef?

I, personally, find 5th Gear even more irritating (as I have said before) they just totally miss the point of cars. If it's a supermini they have some totally boring, quasi-relevant set of tests; then they send Tiff round Anglesey in it to do lift-off-oversteer. How can you have three racing drivers doing a 'What Car?' type show?

As for Clarkson, he is one of the finest journalistic writers this country has - just go to his page on timesonline.co.uk, scroll to the bottom and read some of his opionion columns. Clarkson is the person who brought humour to motoring journalism and, as a motoring journalist, I thank him for that. He made opinion important in his field - he is to cars what Hunter S Thompson was to Rock and Roll.

As for the Hilux feature, they were just using an amusing way of demonstrating how hard-arse that car is!
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

wtf? this is random...

IT is just a car, granted many people want it, but how many guys want sex with (for eg) pam anderson, (personally i find her unattractive) and was it wrong of tommy lee not to share her around to those that aspire to having sex with her?

i know bad example but its the basic facts, you nor i know the full story of the car, so its useless to get so worked up about it.

honestly, whats the huge deal? everyone else got over it.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Do you knwo HOW MANY rusty , failing emissions, worn out 911s there ARE abotu here ?
    LOADS.
    Lets keep it in context..... we're not talking about somethign that is that rare or is cheap enough for "joe bloggs" to restore. We went over this with the Lambo they "destroyed" .... if it's on it's way to the scrappies then it's gone.
    It may hurt every 911-wannabee-owner BUT they DO get crushed !!!!
    I don't know how it works there. But I have seen much less valuable car in much, much worse condition being completely recovered. in portugal it's probably cheaper to recover that 911 than to buy a pristine example. And what I meant to say is that the car had a value even if it was as a donor. Because, as you said, it's no cheap to recover a 911.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I don't know how it works there. But I have seen much less valuable car in much, much worse condition being completely recovered. in portugal it's probably cheaper to recover that 911 than to buy a pristine example. And what I meant to say is that the car had a value even if it was as a donor. Because, as you said, it's no cheap to recover a 911.
    AS I SAID.
    911s go to the scrap yards of the UK every day.

Sorry you live in a place where they're not as popular and people have tens of thousands of euros to get them on the road again.

Believing every car can and should be saved soon wears off when you own cars long enough. It took me a couple of years to stop feeling guilty about Bagheera's getting crushed. But I turn down at least 2-3 A YEAR !! There are about 6 I know of in the UK alone that are there "free to a good home" if only you take it away.

BTW, do you show the same concern when you see Hollywood destroy a BRAND NEW car ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Flocci­naucini­hilipil­ification
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Flocci­naucini­hilipil­ification
    Had to look that one up
    Does it imply any "true" value to the item judged worthless ?
    I'm betting Bill Gates doesn't give a toss

AS I SAID.
    911s go to the scrap yards of the UK every day.

Sorry you live in a place where they're not as popular and people have tens of thousands of euros to get them on the road again.
    That's exactly what happens. People don't have too much money here. But they are rare cars here and it's inimaginable to send one to a scrapyard here before taking every working piece out of them and using every bit to recover another 911.

BTW, do you show the same concern when you see Hollywood destroy a BRAND NEW car ?
    Yes, it hurts if it's a rare car. But what annoys me more here is not having a purpose for destruction. This is not art and not a film. It's just a stupid guy destroying a car. What's fun about that? Do you really think that's funny? Did you laugh with that? If you did, then ok, I rest my case.

That's exactly what happens. People don't have too much money here. But they are rare cars here and it's inimaginable to send one to a scrapyard here before taking every working piece out of them and using every bit to recover another 911.
    Yeah, well there are MANY companies in teh UK with parts on the shelves.
    AND the TV show is a UK show.
    So you gotta accept our values.
    If you really think it worth it then you should consider buying up the "scrappers" and shipping them to Portugal, sastripping them and selling the parts ..... but I'm betting it doens't work out profitable ( cos if it didn then it woudl have happened already and 911 prices would be high enough for Jeremy to ahve baulked at doing it.
    Yes, it hurts if it's a rare car. But what annoys me more here is not having a purpose for destruction. This is not art and not a film. It's just a stupid guy destroying a car. What's fun about that? Do you really think that's funny? Did you laugh with that? If you did, then ok, I rest my case.
    erm, "this is not art and not a film" ?
    What planet are you on today ??
    Of course it was.
    It was from one of Clarksons VERY SUCCESSFUL DVDs.
    It clearly isnt' "art" you enjoy ... I personally dont' like Bergman movies. But I'm not a nazi about the use of time and materials to produce and show them
    It' IS fun.
    As said before .... it took 20 years for folks to understand Motny Python humour. Brits DO find it funny. Jsut as slipping on a banana skin was funny in silent movies. ( Hey that's making fun of someone hurting themslevs -- ban it !!! )

Simple "test" on it is do you find it funny when he catapulted Nissans or crushed caravans ? Yes ? Well then, hypcorisy to not find the 911 destruction too. ( or do we remember laughing at Black&white minstrel shows and not feel guilty now ? )

Simple "test" on it is do you find it funny when he catapulted Nissans or crushed caravans ? Yes ? Well then, hypcorisy to not find the 911 destruction too. ( or do we remember laughing at Black&white minstrel shows and not feel guilty now ? )
    No. I found it incredibly disgusting too. It's a moral question. I can't see fun in pure destruction of things that work. Maybe it's just me. If that meets the brit sense of fun, then you guys have evolved the wrong way since the great Monthy Python stuff.
    I'm thankful for the hypocrite label, but if you don't mind, I'll refuse it.

I think the more you talk about the issue the more likely Clarkson is to do something like it again.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

He could have done the whole thing in a different way if he just wanted to show how solid the 911 is built. Rather than that he choose to lambash the car first (listen to his comments about the dash and the closeness of the front window), and then decides that it should be destroyed under the pretense of what I mentioned in the first line here. By simply stating that the they were going to show the build quality using a totally written-off car, he might have contributed to the issue in a positive way. What he choose to do is both literally and figuratively a destructive sort of journalism.

Being an avid fan of Monty Python I totally fail to see the parallel with this sort of humour.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    I think the more you talk about the issue the more likely Clarkson is to do something like it again.
    Fortunately (unfortunately?) he doesn't read my opinions about him.

He's an attention seeker - the more attention he recieves, the more likely he is to act out. I've delt with heaps of them in my classes at school, who were causing more detriment to the Youth of Canberra than him.

They've all met their uppance

But seriously, the old saying 'Any PR is good PR' applies here - people talk about Top Gear and JC, they watch the show wondering what they will do next, and the cycle continues.

Break the cycle, people.

<This message brought to you by Fifth Gear....>
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Fifth gear is boring and gets a FRACTION of the audience of TG.
    Clarkson DVDs outsell almost every other car DVD added together.
    Time to get over it folks that we have a sense of humour and you don't

Clarkson gives his audience what they want to see.
    It's called "enterntainment" ..... if you dont' get an audience you don't get the funding to do it

So far I've not seen ONE anti-911-trash complain about any Hollywood movie

There are DOZENS of programs been done on the strength and featuers of a 911 and I'm sure many will have shown "official" crash test vids. It's missing the point to want more of the same

Thread Information