Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V6 "Musclecars"

V6 "Musclecars"

ok if its one thing i dont get, is why people buy mustangs or (used to) buy camaros and firebirds with v6's. now i know people are on budgets and all and cant always spend the extra couple grand, but i myself just couldnt drive a "detuned" sports car when u could have the v8. i wanna hear from people who drive these cars... or just opinions in general. what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by main_man989
    ok if its one thing i dont get, is why people buy mustangs or (used to) buy camaros and firebirds with v6's. now i know people are on budgets and all and cant always spend the extra couple grand, but i myself just couldnt drive a "detuned" sports car when u could have the v8. i wanna hear from people who drive these cars... or just opinions in general. what do you guys think?
    Most people who drive those are not "car people." Mostly girls that want the name "Mustang" and dont care about/realise perfomance.
    I do personally hate that though, its like buying non-alcoholic beer...

mainman- you n me both brotha...but slicks is right. people who buy them just want the name or the looks, they usually dont know much about the car itself. other people dont want the high insurance or the "police attraction" a v8 brings as well as gas prices but they still want a sporty car. also (dont take this the wrong way anybody) but mexicans love to drive them for some reason. but still a v6 "muscle car" in my opinion is lame..but hey they sell like hot cakes so why not? i dont think you would catch me dead owning a v6 "muscle car".....unless of course it was a grand national heh heh
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

As stated above most of them want the look without the price. If it wasent for these V6 cars you would rarely see the newer models such as the GT mustang because most of the market is just on the V6 cars. Im suprised they havent made a V6 vette yet for a wider market.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

I agree with the people above, but many cars also offer blown 6's as opposed to the V8's, like in older thunderbirds. Most of the time, people want to look cool in a Mustang or Camaro.

exactly...in fact thats the entire point of that "pony package" that ford offers for v-6 mustangs...it offeres all of the trim and most of the badging of a gt...but with out the extra 2 cylinders.

Well... I would have said that economy would have been a factor, but in all honesty, if you want economy you buy a Civic or a diesel.

Mustangs, Camaros and the like should come with V8's, and Vauxhall knew that when they imported the Monaro- V8 only

Just to play counterpoint, is it the V8 that's important or the power? The V6 in the new 350Z is about as powerful as the Mustang GT V8. Just for the sake of argument, let's say Ford built such a V6 and put it in the base Mustang, granted it wouldn't have the V8's rumble but would it then be considered a Muscle car?

Or is it a formula:
    Muscle Car = V8 + RWD + has to be priced ½ to ¾ of the Corvette.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Just to play counterpoint, is it the V8 that's important or the power? The V6 in the new 350Z is about as powerful as the Mustang GT V8. Just for the sake of argument, let's say Ford built such a V6 and put it in the base Mustang, granted it wouldn't have the V8's rumble but would it then be considered a Muscle car?

Or is it a formula:
    In my opinion American muscle cars have to have V8 engines, if not what's the point on an American Muscle car? One might as well buy a Nissan 350Z in the first place.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Or is it a formula:
    Not so sure here.

American engines by definition are generally very lazy- Japanese engines are fairly highly-strung.

I think your formula is correct, though. It has to be a car that everyman can access with his basic wages and also a way to experience quick cross-country jaunts with decent practicality.

I also think a V8 is essential part of the Muscle car. A colleague had the Grand National GNX (S/C 3.8 V6) but he never called it a Muscle car. And that car could peel-out the entire 1/4 mile.

I also think a V8 is essential part of the Muscle car. A colleague had the Grand National GNX (S/C 3.8 V6) but he never called it a Muscle car. And that car could peel-out the entire 1/4 mile.
    I only see one reason for the existence of the V6 muscle cars, as far as the enthusiast is concerned, cheap RWD thrills...

By the way wasn't the GNX turbocharged?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    I only see one reason for the existence of the V6 muscle cars, as far as the enthusiast is concerned, cheap RWD thrills...

By the way wasn't the GNX turbocharged?
    You're right, turbocharged.

Later, GM S/Ced the same 3.8 V6 when it was transversely parked in the Bonneville and Regal
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 05-30-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Well... I would have said that economy would have been a factor, but in all honesty, if you want economy you buy a Civic or a diesel.

Mustangs, Camaros and the like should come with V8's, and Vauxhall knew that when they imported the Monaro- V8 only
    actually when it first released in Australia the monaro had a V6 version as well as a V8 version but they found that the sales were 95% V8 so they droped the V6. This was partly because it wasn't a performance V6 but rather the normal V6 out of a commadore and also was also due to the fact that people wanted the bent eight more.MUCH MORE

edit: Do V6 engines only count as muscle car engines or do i6 engines count as well, like in a xr6 for example.
    Last edited by syko; 05-30-2006 at 07:37 PM.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    As stated above most of them want the look without the price. If it wasent for these V6 cars you would rarely see the newer models such as the GT mustang because most of the market is just on the V6 cars. Im suprised they havent made a V6 vette yet for a wider market.
    The vette doesn't fall under the category of musclecar.

Thread Information