Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Next Enzo

and thats why ferrari uses carbon ceramic composite brakes rather than the f1 brakes which are all carbon. all carbon brakes are no good unless they are very hot and you dont get brakes up to the neccesary temperature in normal road driving.
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    They lack feel and cost £20,000 to replace. Also, you'll rarely notice the difference on the road. Unless you like your passengers to taste the leather on your dashboard rather than just look at it
    they point of the carbon ceramic brakes is that you dont experience the brake fade under heavy use like you would with normal steel rotors
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by jump15vc
    and thats why ferrari uses carbon ceramic composite brakes rather than the f1 brakes which are all carbon. all carbon brakes are no good unless they are very hot and you dont get brakes up to the neccesary temperature in normal road driving.
    There's no such thing as 'all carbon' brakes. They are all carbon ceramic composite discs with carbon pads, or steel rotors with carbon pads. They're made by squashing strands of carbon together at silly pressure and temperature.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    And you have extensive driving experience with every Ferrari to be able to say with that authority that the technology Ferrari uses in its cars isn't useless?

I'm fairly certain that in 50 years time people will scratching their heads trying to work out how the frig the damn electronics on their poxy Enzo work, whilst people tootle about happily still in their 100 year old 250 GTOs.

I can tell that for instance the F1 gearbox is a wonderful tool for a beginner driver like myself on the track after having driven a 355 with the stick and a Stradale . Same for the brakes . No fading after 30+ laps at Fiorano .

They lack feel and cost £20,000 to replace. Also, you'll rarely notice the difference on the road. Unless you like your passengers to taste the leather on your dashboard rather than just look at it.

They're crap at low revs. I've seen learners make smoother shifts.

Again, pretty much superfluous and BMW have been using a computer controlled hydro-electrically actuated diff in their 'M' cars for years. It's hardly F1 technology.

Well obviously if you are only going to use your car on the road , you wont need 10% of what a Ferrari is made of . On the track , the carbon brakes are amazing and they dont lack feel at all .

The F1 gearbox is crap when you are parking the car in town. Other than that, its absolutely brilliant . I love both the stick and the F1 . But for the track the F1 is just better when you are no pro .

Quote Originally Posted by amenasce
    No fading after 30+ laps at Fiorano .
    Hmmm. Care to post any photos of your Fiorano experience?

Only top press and Ferrari drivers get to drive around Fiorano - it's not a track day venue.

There's no such thing as 'all carbon' brakes. They are all carbon ceramic composite discs with carbon pads, or steel rotors with carbon pads. They're made by squashing strands of carbon together at silly pressure and temperature.
    F1s and other motorsports do use Carbon/Carbon brakes with Carbon pads, obviusly they are only good for one race and the use in a road car is out of the question. The road car version of thoose are the Carbon/Ceramic mix, rotors and pads also, they provide a good use at low and high temperatures and long life, praticly the life of the car.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Hmmm. Care to post any photos of your Fiorano experience?

Only top press and Ferrari drivers get to drive around Fiorano - it's not a track day venue.

Well, we did have the track for us , late April .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    praticly the life of the car.
    Unless you're a PCCB customer...

I'm still not convinced that stuffing a car to the gills with electronic widgets, just because that's what your F1 team are doing, makes any sense.

How are these highly complicated electronics going to stand the test of time?

Even Microsoft stops supporting its old software - what happens in 2025 when your F430's F1 gearbox software cocks up because you drove through a puddle and the fine Italian build lived up to its' reputation?

Turn up at the Ferrari dealership - "Can you fix this please?"

Ferrari - "Ooh, sorry, we don't support that software anymore, were operating "iBox" gearbox software, not "Gearbox XP Home Edition".
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Unless you're a PCCB customer...

I'm still not convinced that stuffing a car to the gills with electronic widgets, just because that's what your F1 team are doing, makes any sense.

How are these highly complicated electronics going to stand the test of time?

Even Microsoft stops supporting its old software - what happens in 2025 when your F430's F1 gearbox software cocks up because you drove through a puddle and the fine Italian build lived up to its' reputation?

Turn up at the Ferrari dealership - "Can you fix this please?"

Ferrari - "Ooh, sorry, we don't support that software anymore, were operating "iBox" gearbox software, not "Gearbox XP Home Edition".
    This is not a problem exclusive to supercars; it will affect every single car on sale right now. Just because the Ferrari F1 system is a high profile gadget does not mean it is more complicated than an electronic system fitted on any other car. Also there are not many people that can set up a 250 GTO engine properly, probably just as many as will be able to address software issues on a F430 in 25 years.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by amenasce
    Well, we did have the track for us , late April .
    Aaah, you're an owner - fair enough.

I drove a CS a while ago and I'm not convinced by the paddleshift for anything less than full-bore shifts. A stick and pedal is so much more versatile.

Well, even though I could probably work on a 250 V-12 for three or four years and never get the best out of it, at least I know that I could, theoretically. If the electronics on your shiny new Ferrari pack it in, you're left with no hope. Nobody understands electronics, save for the six or seven Japanese folk who engineer it all from their mountain laboratory.

It's just a changing of skill sets required to make it with cutting edge stuff. You'd have to be pretty damn carb-savvy to get six weber twin chokes singing the same note, just as you'd need to be good with a million-dollar diagnostic computer to get a modern Fezza shiftng properly. I'd take a 250 GTO and settle for it hitting on 10 cylinders and flooding the other 2 any day.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    Well, even though I could probably work on a 250 V-12 for three or four years and never get the best out of it, at least I know that I could, theoretically. If the electronics on your shiny new Ferrari pack it in, you're left with no hope. Nobody understands electronics, save for the six or seven Japanese folk who engineer it all from their mountain laboratory.

It's just a changing of skill sets required to make it with cutting edge stuff. You'd have to be pretty damn carb-savvy to get six weber twin chokes singing the same note, just as you'd need to be good with a million-dollar diagnostic computer to get a modern Fezza shiftng properly. I'd take a 250 GTO and settle for it hitting on 10 cylinders and flooding the other 2 any day.
    Trust me, if you had a 250 GTO you would ensure it ran perfectly...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Ah, that's what all the electronics are for then...

Quote Originally Posted by Car & Driver
    If one could reach back through the veil of time and change the past, it would be at this point that my hand would be prevented from reaching down to the manettino, the steering-wheel switch governing the stability control, and shutting it off. Coming back up, I flick the steering wheel to unload the inside rear tire and goose the throttle, the car whipsawing in a screech of rubber. First one way…

…and then the other. The last milliseconds before impact are busy with desperate corrections, but the 599 swipes the wall with a nauseating crunch. Valente’s face is blanched as I clump to a stop, the world suddenly deathly silent.
    They're there so that everybody can forget about the pesky business of knowing how to actually drive a car, and get on with simply standing on the throttle at every available opportunity!

Car control, pah!

Ferrari gives you the genuine Gran Tourismo 4 experience, the Ultimate Driving Simulator-Simulator!
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information