Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 24 Hours of Le Mans Test

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    Was it the Akito(sp?) or white one? I know they were going for a 1-2 finish, but the black failed and ended up 5th in the GT300.

It'd be nice if Lamborghini would back these cars though. I know they recently introduced an updated R-GT, but it probably isn't fairing too well either.

I also noticed, over the years, the number of Saleens has come down.
    The Lamborghini at Le Mans is a brand new car. Last year there were no Saleens at all at Le Mans. Since last year the factory has renewed its interest in racing the the S7, which has resulted in major wins in Europe in the last month and this invitation for Le Mans.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Oreca were invited to run their Saleen but they said that the car is not prepared yet .. which is a shame . cause i think they have a better chance compared to ACECMO to do well against other factory entries
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Quote Originally Posted by DasModell
    Oreca were invited to run their Saleen but they said that the car is not prepared yet .. which is a shame . cause i think they have a better chance compared to ACECMO to do well against other factory entries
    Looking at the Spa performance, I have the feeling Oreca was a bit too careful with the withdrawal. The Acemco car improved throughout the day after a terrible start, so I am sure they will be able to get a similar pace as the Oreca car. I am not very familiar with their drivers, so I am not sure if they are also a match for Ortelli and Ayari.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

the drivers are not as fast as Ortelli and Ayari . but they are pretty good . but they dont have much LeMans experience . and Christian Fitipaldi is a newbie even
    there is just winning

Terry Borcheller is the development driver for the Saleen program, massively talented, and very very fast. Johnny Mowlem has made a name for himself in Porsche in the states(being a UK driver), and last few season has been a great co-driver for Terry. I don' think they are any worse than the Oreca lineup. The team obviously is not as big or resourceful as Oreca, but they gave up on the ALMS this year to concentrate solely on Le Mans, so the car should be fast. Though to beat Corvette or Aston will take some doing....

Both Terry and Johnny have driven Le Mans in the last 4-5 years, so I don't think experience is a problem....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The Mountain to climb for Pescarolo....

I've been thinking about this, after reading some interview with the Audi team. They are expecting something like 1 and if they really stretch it, 2 laps more per tank, compared to the R8. R8 as we know was one of the more efficient LMP out there, and it already enjoys better fuel consumption compared to their Judd-equipped competitor. Assuming if both team have a trouble free run for 24 hours(unlikely, but for this case we'll simplify the scenario), and assuming the new 5 L Judd can get the same mileage as the R8(equally unlikely), the R10 automatically gets a 3:30-3:40 advantage, PER STINT because of that extra lap. What that means is more startling in lap time terms, R8 back in its full works days, can do something along the line of 13-14 laps per tank. With a 3:30 sec deficit, the Pescarolo car have to a) have the 13 lap range, AND b) Lap 16 sec per lap faster than the R10. Pushing like mad doesn't even describe it, and they still need to last 24 hours when their car is pushed to the edge, while R10 can back off like 10 sec from its ultimate pace and still being able to enjoy a tremandous advantage, while better preserving the machine to finish.

Audi Sport have gained a tremandous advantage by using a diesel powered car, and if they have done their homework like they did with the R8(and there are no reason to expect otherwise), this race is practically in the bag for them.....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    I've been thinking about this, after reading some interview with the Audi team. They are expecting something like 1 and if they really stretch it, 2 laps more per tank, compared to the R8. R8 as we know was one of the more efficient LMP out there, and it already enjoys better fuel consumption compared to their Judd-equipped competitor. Assuming if both team have a trouble free run for 24 hours(unlikely, but for this case we'll simplify the scenario), and assuming the new 5 L Judd can get the same mileage as the R8(equally unlikely), the R10 automatically gets a 3:30-3:40 advantage, PER STINT because of that extra lap. What that means is more startling in lap time terms, R8 back in its full works days, can do something along the line of 13-14 laps per tank. With a 3:30 sec deficit, the Pescarolo car have to a) have the 13 lap range, AND b) Lap 16 sec per lap faster than the R10. Pushing like mad doesn't even describe it, and they still need to last 24 hours when their car is pushed to the edge, while R10 can back off like 10 sec from its ultimate pace and still being able to enjoy a tremandous advantage, while better preserving the machine to finish.

Audi Sport have gained a tremandous advantage by using a diesel powered car, and if they have done their homework like they did with the R8(and there are no reason to expect otherwise), this race is practically in the bag for them.....
    I am not sure whether your calculation is correct. Does a tank stop take 3.30-3.40 minutes? Then the advantage of the audi at the end of the day will only be lower number the number of stops which might be 3 or 4. Lets assume a regualr pitstop will take 2 minutes then they gain about 6 to 8 minutes compared to the competition which is just two laps, or in 180-240 seconds. Over the whole race of 24 hours they may cover 380-400 laps or even a bit more , so the actual gain is just over 2 seconds per lap over the whole race. Even if they can gain 8 stops, they still need to be within five seconds per lap of the hunter, whatever car that may be.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

One lap at Le Mans = 3:30......for each tank the Audi gain this much, minus the time it difference between the 2 cars pit stop....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

One lap at Le Mans = 3:30......for each tank the Audi gain this much, minus the time it difference between the 2 cars pit stop....
    This is not quite correct. If Audi can run 6 laps on a tank and Pesca 5 on one tank, then after 30 laps Audi would have gained the time of one pit stop.

(Ted Joans)

at equal pace . of course. .
    there is just winning

Quote Originally Posted by DasModell
    at equal pace . of course. .
    which is indeed the whole issue, then can compensate for lower speed because they have to stop less. The fact however that they are capable of the same speed gives the R10 the flexibility to play with these parameters....and to use the diesel advantage to the full.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    which is indeed the whole issue, then can compensate for lower speed because they have to stop less. The fact however that they are capable of the same speed gives the R10 the flexibility to play with these parameters....and to use the diesel advantage to the full.
    There is talk that the R10 is capable of the Pescas' pace, but at the expense of consumption; once the car is pushed the mileage seems to go down very rapidly.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    There is talk that the R10 is capable of the Pescas' pace, but at the expense of consumption; once the car is pushed the mileage seems to go down very rapidly.
    true, the full throttle efficiency of a diesel is not that much better, and here there larger displacement of the Audi might enter into play.

Terry Borcheller is the development driver for the Saleen program, massively talented, and very very fast. Johnny Mowlem has made a name for himself in Porsche in the states(being a UK driver), and last few season has been a great co-driver for Terry. I don' think they are any worse than the Oreca lineup. The team obviously is not as big or resourceful as Oreca, but they gave up on the ALMS this year to concentrate solely on Le Mans, so the car should be fast. Though to beat Corvette or Aston will take some doing....

Both Terry and Johnny have driven Le Mans in the last 4-5 years, so I don't think experience is a problem....

compared to Ortelli&Soheil .. they still have limited experience

regarding Pesca vs Audi . it will be intense i belive .. anything can count . a puncture .. a spin .. anything
    you can tell i hardly wait right ??
    i would've preffered to be there . but +24h of MotorsTV(minus the pr0n of course) .. should make it a little easier
    there is just winning

some update on the Audi strategy:

They expect a fuel stop every 50 minutes, realistically that would mean 14 laps at just over 3.34 minutes. The fuel capacity is 90 litres, so with a track length of 13,650 km, 14 laps means 191 km, calculated fuel consumption is in the order of 2.2-2.3 litre per kilometer. ( running out of fuel for this type of diesel engine could result in serious damage to the injection system, so they will want to take a margin).
    Refuelling takes 30 seconds, and Audi claims that a full service stops costs 40-45 seconds. Taking these figures together Audi might have to make 28 scheduled stops over 24 hours (or may be 29). If the pescarolo does 13 laps pers stint (7.5% less than the Audi) they make have to make 3-4 stops more in total (7.5% more). Assuming that also the Pescarolo needs 40-45 seconds, the additional box time would be 2-3 minutes. In other words, Audi has not yet won the race.

(The data above come from the Audi Media Info, provided during the recent test weekend)

Thread Information