Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saab 9-3 (2006)

Saab 9-3 (2006)

What do you think of this new Saab?

The 9-3 is built on GM's global Epsilon platform. The Opel Vectra and new for 2003 9-3 used it initially. In the US, GM uses this platform in the Chevy Malibu and Pontiac G6. Also, many other cars are going to be based on the versatile Epsilon.

The 9-3 also used GM sourced engines now as well. The 2 litre turbo is originated from the Ecotec, even the 2.8 litre of the Aero model is shared with the basic Cadillac CTS, in basic architecture. Saab does strengthen and otherwise modify the engines to handle turbocharging.

Saab has tried where it can to make the car seem like its very distinctive cars from before. The ignition switch is next to the handbrake and the instrument panel has the nightpanel feature which dims all the lights except the speedo.

I enjoyed driving the car and even the auto the engine pulled with authority. The 2.0 turbo makes 210 hp and 221 lb/ft (@5500 and 2500 RPM, respectively). There is no noticeable lag as 90% of max torque is available at 2000 RPM. I didn't push the car hard enough to notice any torque steer but reviews say that a special front sub-frame design has eliminated torque steer that plagued older turbo models.

The seats are more comfortable than the Jetta and the seatign position gives you a nice commanding view, you sit upright and high. The interior has a roomy, airy feel. Mostly having driven my MX-5 for a few years anything is roomier...

The engine is said to be built in Germany but the Saab salesman said that was just because most of the electronics are German, so they labeled it so. The automatic transmission in the model I drove was made in Japan. The car comes with a 4 year/50k miles warranty and 3/36 scheduled maintenance is also covered.

Overall, I like the 9-3 more than I thought I would. It may not have remained completely true to it's Saab heritage but it feels like a nicely designed car. One of things that attracted me to this car is that it isn't as common as the 3-series and A4s. Again, it probably isn't as good a car as those but on the plus side it doesn't have the hyper-competitive image that comes with more popular cars, and it's cheaper...

How is the new Saab seen in Europe, especially the new 9-3? Also, if you've had any experiences with this make/model?

click "specifications" for comprehensive info:
    http://www2.saabusa.com/93s/features.asp?start=home
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    I'm frankly struggling to see difference with the old one (sold from 2002)...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    I'm frankly struggling to see difference with the old one (sold from 2002)...
    Platform wise its different, now uses Epsilon platform so it isn't Saab-only platform. Even the '93-'02 9-3 used non-Saab platform, I'm not sure tho.

Engine in now Ecotec-based, the last model used Saab engines. More info. here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-3

Most obvious difference is the shape and body layout. The last car was a hatchback. The post-'03 cars are sedan and wagon.

Platform wise its different, now uses Epsilon platform so it isn't Saab-only platform. Even the '93-'02 9-3 used non-Saab platform, I'm not sure tho.

Engine in now Ecotec-based, the last model used Saab engines. More info. here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-3

Most obvious difference is the shape and body layout. The last car was a hatchback. The post-'03 cars are sedan and wagon.
    I know, I meant to say the new 4-door saloon, that here in Europe was sold from 2002. But as you say that there's a brand new 2006 Saab 9-3, I was struggling to see the difference between the pre-2006 (2002-2005) saloons and that new 2006 9-3. Except for the new V6, but better get a Vectra OPC, it's cheaper and faster (it can do up to 160mph).
    Visca Catalunya!

I know, I meant to say the new 4-door saloon, that here in Europe was sold from 2002. But as you say that there's a brand new 2006 Saab 9-3, I was struggling to see the difference between the pre-2006 (2002-2005) saloons and that new 2006 9-3. Except for the new V6, but better get a Vectra OPC, it's cheaper and faster (it can do up to 160mph).
    OK right, my mistake. I did say, what do you think of this new Saab. I edited before posting...and it came out a little confusing. I wanted to say what do you think of the "new" SAAB, as in corporate changes affecting their cars. And also, what do you think of this 9-3.

How or where does the Vectra stack up against 3-series, A4, C-class for example?

Its to gm. lol

OK right, my mistake. I did say, what do you think of this new Saab. I edited before posting...and it came out a little confusing. I wanted to say what do you think of the "new" SAAB, as in corporate changes affecting their cars. And also, what do you think of this 9-3.

How or where does the Vectra stack up against 3-series, A4, C-class for example?
    Oh I see. The 9-3 is a car that actually wouldn't mind owning, but in my opinion it only makes sense if you don't go for the top of the range models. Of coures the introduction of the saloon means that Saab has lost it's trademark hatchback, which is shame in my opinion, but that has been partially solved by introducing the estate version of the 9-3. My pick of the range would be the 2.0 T Estate with 175bhp, but on this segment I prefer the Alfa Romeo 159 for example.

And about the Vectra it's more on par with the Renault Laguna, the ford Mondeo or the Peugeot 407, but the thing is that in OPC/VXR guise is bloody fast, faster than any Mercedes, Audi or BMW you care to mention...
    Visca Catalunya!

Oh I see. The 9-3 is a car that actually wouldn't mind owning, but in my opinion it only makes sense if you don't go for the top of the range models. Of coures the introduction of the saloon means that Saab has lost it's trademark hatchback, which is shame in my opinion, but that has been partially solved by introducing the estate version of the 9-3. My pick of the range would be the 2.0 T Estate with 175bhp, but on this segment I prefer the Alfa Romeo 159 for example.

And about the Vectra it's more on par with the Renault Laguna, the ford Mondeo or the Peugeot 407, but the thing is that in OPC/VXR guise is bloody fast, faster than any Mercedes, Audi or BMW you care to mention...
    Completely agree on the trim. The more basic models with the least options makes the most sense. Otherwise the price brings it into a very hotly contested segment, full of cars already mentioned.

The only two models we get are 2.0T and the 2.8 V6, both in sedan and wagon. I like the looks of the sedan but should probably consider the SportCombi for its versatility...

Completely agree on the trim. The more basic models with the least options makes the most sense. Otherwise the price brings it into a very hotly contested segment, full of cars already mentioned.

The only two models we get are 2.0T and the 2.8 V6, both in sedan and wagon. I like the looks of the sedan but should probably consider the SportCombi for its versatility...
    I suppose the 2.0 T you mention is the 210bhp version, which is here sold as an Aero model. Then if I only had those two options I'd choose a 2.0 T Estate. However there are plenty of better options like the already mentiones Alfa (altough you don't get it, at least yet) or the Volvo V50 2.4i.
    Visca Catalunya!

I suppose the 2.0 T you mention is the 210bhp version, which is here sold as an Aero model. Then if I only had those two options I'd choose a 2.0 T Estate. However there are plenty of better options like the already mentiones Alfa (altough you don't get it, at least yet) or the Volvo V50 2.4i.
    Yeah no Alfas, but I did drive the V50 with the 2.5T and didn't like it. It had some turbo lag, not bad lag like old cars but you can't drive it without noticing the turbo coming on. I found that a little annoying, when you first start off it's off-boost and then you feel a little punch at 2-2.5k. The Saab on the otherhand is virtually imperceptible, eventhough it's working with 500 cc less and a short a cylinder.

The non-turbo which is also available wouldn't have that issue obviously, so yeah the regular 2.4i is an option. The interior of the V50 is super nice, btw.

The same as of the old one, seeing it looks the same . It's a well-equiped, reliable, nice-looking car that completely lacks personality and might have as well been sold as Opel, Chevrolet or Samsung. It's a shame Saab doesn't make interesting cars no more.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    The same as of the old one, seeing it looks the same . It's a well-equiped, reliable, nice-looking car that completely lacks personality and might have as well been sold as Opel, Chevrolet or Samsung. It's a shame Saab doesn't make interesting cars no more.
    It's true what you say. In the new 9-3, you don't so much buy a Saab but a decent enough, corporate parts-bin assemblage, with a few Saab-istic features thrown in --- automobile.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    You're completely right and it's a shame because Saabs used to be very interesting. You have to reckon that the 9-3 Viggen was quite mental though...
    Visca Catalunya!

The 9-3 also used GM sourced engines now as well. The 2 litre turbo is originated from the Ecotec, even the 2.8 litre of the Aero model is shared with the basic Cadillac CTS, in basic architecture. Saab does strengthen and otherwise modify the engines to handle turbocharging.

The [2.0 4cyl] engine is said to be built in Germany but the Saab salesman said that was just because most of the electronics are German, so they labeled it so. The automatic transmission in the model I drove was made in Japan.
    For trivia, SAAB V6 engines are built in Melbourne by Holden, who also supply V6s for Alfa Romeo

SAAB is a manufacturer that really seems to have lost its brand-rationale. New sales barely rate a blip locally, and resale is tragic. Faced with the ever increasing decline in sales their national brand-manager here in Australia recently (half) joked that SAAB "is a car company with more models than customers"

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    For trivia, SAAB V6 engines are built in Melbourne by Holden, who also supply V6s for Alfa Romeo
    That's not exactly tru in the case of the Alfa Romeo, they use a Holden V6 engine block but that's about it...
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information