Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POLOh no!

POLOh no!

Mum's 2004 Corsa takes out a 2003 Polo

Mum was on her way home from work yesterday, driving on a main road beside a dual carriageway about 3 miles from our house.

She's dring along and it's quite a wide road, up ahead and to the left (we drive on the left here) is a sliproad (off-ramp) leading off the carriageway and onto the main road beside, mum had the right-of-way but the view of the junction was obscured by a broken-down car on the left, just off the road next to the junction.

She slowed down (bearing in mind it's a 50mph limit on that stretch of road) to around 25 mph to allow traffic emerging from the junction to have a better chance of seeing her as she passed, but as she neared the junction, a young girl driving a 2003 Polo 3 door pulled out in front of her without looking properly.

Mum says she saw the girl look right, then left (but not right again as the highway code advises you to do) before pulling out into Mum's path. Frankly the girl pulled out so close to my Mum's car, Mum didn't have a chance of avoiding her, she slammed the brakes on but there wasn't even enough time for them to bite (at this point it's a good job she was only doing about 25mph).

The girl managed to get around the front of our 2004 Corsa before the front right corner of our Corsa struck the driver's (right) door of the Polo, spinning the car out of the way (if anyone was going much faster the Polo would have spun even more), however judging by what my dad said (he arrived at the scene), the Polo's a write-off.

Both cars made it safely to the side of the road and thankfully, speeds were low enough that no-one was injured. The girl was panicking and exclaimed that she didn't see my mum's car coming before pulling into it's path. Luckily my mum was driving slowly and carefully and therefore the airbags in the Corsa weren't needed, I think the damage is cosmetic only.

Having said that, the Corsa did bloody well compared to the Polo (which now has the whole side of the car pushed in from the start of the driver's door backwards, the B pillar's bent. Again, luckily the girl had her window down so instead of her being showered in glass, the window's shattered inside the door. The Corsa is 100% driveable with all lights turning on except the front right indicator, which has become disconnected. However the right headlight needs replacing as it's cracked inside as well as at it's mounting point and it's a couple of degrees out. Both front foglights still work but they'll need to go into a new bumper. The car also needs a new front wing, as it's been sprung along with the bumper, scratched and the clip that holds the bumper on on that side has snapped. Overall, the damage is mainly cosmetic but I'm wondering about what's behind the headlight.

Also, I noticed the front right tyre took a hit (there's a mark on it but the tyre and wheel are not damaged) but I'm wondering about effects on the the suspension and steering. Dad drove it the 3 miles or so back home and noticed nothing unusual though (Although he did hear something fall out from behind the headlight)

The outcome is likely to be a claim on the girl's insurance as she is clearly at fault and this has been backed-up by two witnesses, one of which is a trainee driving instructor whose wife's car was broken down at the side of the road, causing the vision impairment to traffic emerging from the junction. The girl's just lucky my mum wasn't driving a 30-tonne truck otherwise the resulting chaos would have been much worse.

Attached are pics of our Corsa after the accident, does anyone think the damage is more serious than it looks?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

If anyone's seen the Th!nk B!ke adverts on UK TV, it was like that except it wasn't a bike the girl didn't see, it was my mum's car!

Just get it checked out at a GOOD repair company.They surely know where to look for on these cars...

Again, luckily the girl had her window down so instead of her being showered in glass, the window's shattered inside the door.
    Yu will (almost) never get showered in glass. The windows are made in a way that they break but keep intact.They have a piece of plastic or something in it that holds all fragments.

The Corsa will be easy and cheap to repair. That doesn't look like much from here- new side wing, new bumper (maybe, you might be able to get it sprayed...?), possibly a new light

I'll have you know that VWs are a bitch to repair- my dad recently spun out my sister's 1.0 Lupo and the damage, whilst looking minimal cost £1200

Lucky for you that Vauxhalls are very cheap to get hold of and repair...

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Well not always cheap to repair.. My granddad had hit a pole in the road and damaged his rear bumper. His Astra had 1500€ damage to the bumper only

With the proper tools i could have repaired it for 100€....

^ We got rearended by a white-van-man a few years back, and all it looked from the outside was the bumper was pushed in a bit. That cost well over a grand too, dunno if its similar, but there was some system triggered by the knock that needed resetting/fixing. Plus it was the colour-changing Primera, so fixing the paint on that too

Glad to hear all parties involved are okay in your knock. Hope the car stays fine.
    Porsche!

Further proof that all accidents involving cars are caused by speeding.

First of all, you should sue the relevant local authority for not putting a speed camera there, don't they know that speed cameras prevent all accidents?!

Secondly you should heartily congratulate the other driver for not taking their eyes from their speedometer, after all actually being aware of other vehicles around you is much less important.

Glad to hear no one was injured.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Just get it checked out at a GOOD repair company.They surely know where to look for on these cars...
    The insurance company specifies when and where the car's repaired. If it's not right, we'll cause complaint hell until it is.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Yu will (almost) never get showered in glass. The windows are made in a way that they break but keep intact.They have a piece of plastic or something in it that holds all fragments.
    I agree with you, it's just that Mum said that when the girl got out of her car (she was shaken at first so didn't get out straight away), there were pieces of glass sticking out from the gap in the door that the window winds down into. Maybe something inside the door went straight through the window?

The Corsa will be easy and cheap to repair. That doesn't look like much from here- new side wing, new bumper (maybe, you might be able to get it sprayed...?), possibly a new light
    The bumper and wing clips (where they join onto one-another) are knackered and the wing's out of shape slightly near the headlight, so that's all going, as is the headlight itself. It's cracked inside (look at the top of the biggest circular silver piece inside the light) as well as the clips that hold the light in place, therefore it's out by a few degrees.

I'm impressed though with the way the car held-up considering it wrote off the Polo. It's still driveable with only the indicator needing fixing (I think it's just disconnected) and the headlight aligning properly the only things that would need to be done to make the car road legal.

That's not our concern lol, as it's the other driver's insurance that's going to pay the bill. We just want it done properly so the car's as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    That's not our concern lol, as it's the other driver's insurance that's going to pay the bill. We just want it done properly so the car's as it was.
    Exactly. Actually, my mum's Micra got knocked too (!), and she adores the car. It wasnt the fact that it'll get fixed, it's just that her perfectly good car may now be compromised because some twit wasnt watching where they were going. Luckily all's fine and dandy.
    Porsche!

It looks like the other party / insurance company has admitted liability...Mum's car was put on the back of a truck (UK Assistance - if anyone's had any dealings with them I'd like to know) and taken away for repair today.

The insurance company arranged for a taxi to pick us up* and take us to Enterprise Rent-A-Car in Derby, where we managed to hire a 2006 Ford Fiesta (1.4 Zetec 5door). I'll do a review on that when we've had a decent chance to drive it - going to Scotland at the weekend. The Fiesta's Ford's equivalent car to the Corsa (apart from the fact it's a 5-door but they're available in both) so I'll review both and make a comparison as a seperate thread.

*more on that later.

I have driving lessons in an 06 fiesta, they are brilliant.

If your mum had been driving atr a decent speed she would have been past the slip road before the Polo driver was anywhere near it
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

CycO-rly?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    If your mum had been driving atr a decent speed she would have been past the slip road before the Polo driver was anywhere near it
    Lol, on a serious note, if she was going a shade quicker she'd have T-boned the Polo. If she was going quicker than that, the Polo would have T-boned her, and frankly, any incident invloving my mum getting boned is one I don't want to see...

Thread Information