Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: WRX STi. What of it?

Quote Originally Posted by h22a View Post
    relax quail and get off your high horse. This conversation is long gone and when exactly did i insult you???. ohh and please dont pay out on my avatar, really cuts me deep quail.
    I agree it was sloppy antics but dont get so carried away.

plus quail i must add, its a pleasure reading the majority of you posts as you articulate yourself extremely well but you cannot deny your ability to talk absolute jargan. Not that it isn't entertaining to read, but for you to say that I have a cavalier attitude would be slightly hypocritical of arrogant posts youve made in the past. You think preety highly of yourself quail.

I wont deny that your posts most of the time are very entertaining. Im not gonna try and get in some shit fight coz you'll destroy me with your extensive knowledge of the oxford dictionary
    Hatchet buried, H22a. I often get on here after I've drank too ****in' much; deep in the cups and not considering the consequences of what I say.

Mostly, I was a little offended by the exchange between you and a regular here, but in retrospect I see that he was throwing shit right back your way too. I apologize for my rush to judgment, and hope to see more of your posts soon.

Welcome, by the way.
    I'm erudite ;-)

On another subject:

One of our guys from the newspaper's online department walked into the newsroom today and asked me if I wanted to go smoke out back. I said sure, if he would bum me one, but he didn't have any either, so we decided to go on a smoke run.

We drove the 1/2 mile to the nearest gas station in my STi. On the way back, after the engine and transmission had warmed through, he said 'so, what does this thing got?'

He's been helping edit some video of me thrashing the hell out of some performance coupes for a car review I'm working on, and so knows I'm no stranger to screaming engines and burnt rubber.

Coming out of an intersection, I said 'hang on to something,' and after seeing that he had braced himself I nailed the throttle in a straight line into the 4-way intersection and flicked the car left, back toward the office. With a touch of left-foot braking to neutralize any low-speed, on-throttle understeer and the engine pinging off the rev limiter with all four wheels spinning we shot through the intersection with what I though was little drama.

I looked over at the guy, who was clutching his seatbelt shoulder strap with both hands, white as a ghost.

"Jesus," he said.

It made me recall those first frantic minutes three years ago after covering just shy of 1,000 miles under 3,000 rpm to break the engine in. I parked it at my apartment I was living in with my roommate at the time with 9,997 miles, and asked him to go for the inaugural trip to the redline.

We were primed and ready in first gear on a secluded residential street. Engine at 3k, my eyes on the odometer, waiting for the digital readout to change. When it did, I put the hammer down.

I'd driven a V-8 Pontiac Trans Am before, but the Subaru was somehow more insistent; its boxer-4 absolutely punting the car forwards in an Almighty Shove towards the redline, which we hit, throwing us both forward.

It was one of those recalibration moments, when you know that you're sitting in something that's just redefined your interpretation of Fast, and if you can tame it — get to know it like an old pair of sneakers — it'll take you one more wrung up the ladder to being a real driver.

Not that you need fancy machinery to be a Driver — you could probably learn just as much about car control at the wheel of an MGB, but with the Subaru I've learned just what it is that Fast means, and because it's a Subaru with decent ground clearance and what I trust is a chassis built to handle hard knocks, I also have a good understanding of Fast on the gravel roads that pepper Arkansas.

But for someone unused to it, like this guy from our online department, it was a once-in-a-lifetime thrill until he sets his bottom down in something faster.

I envy him for that. If I had a time machine, one of the moments I'd like to revisit is my first run in the Subie at full throttle to the redline. For us gearheads, it just doesn't get much better.
    I'm erudite ;-)

see, my first time in an sti, it allegedly had 400hp (at the wheels, according to the owner).
    after that first drive, i was ready to believe it - but never having driven a standard one, i had no benchmark to compare it with
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

My frist drive in a wrx was a bug eyes model when i was detailing it i rember hammering it around the little roundabout in phillip so quickly i had to pull over and laugh (I near killed myself so of course thats what you do right?)

Defintly a fun drive and somthing that I will enjoy for a long time to come.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

The first time my perceptions warped of "speed" was when my friends dad took me out to test his group A STI a few years back - propper fast.

Also he owned one of the 3 official 05 STI wagons imported from japan - another quick little bugger, and dead sexy.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    You mean the "John Cooper Works GP"?
    Yes. That thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    The first time my perceptions warped of "speed" was when my friends dad took me out to test his group A STI a few years back - propper fast.

Also he owned one of the 3 official 05 STI wagons imported from japan - another quick little bugger, and dead sexy.
    I always loved hatchbacks and wagons.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

There is a lot to be said about a fast wagon, like whatever early-90 Volvo it was that was World's Fastest Estate for a time. It's almost Millennium Falcon-esque...

That M5 wagon's an intriguing little number, at that, and AMG's got some spicy wagons out there. Then there's those Aston Martin Lagonda wagons that that fella' in Sweden puts together. It'd make a damn fine hearse...
    I'm erudite ;-)

I really wish we got the latest M5 wagon over here, but sadly I don't think it will happen.

maybe you'll get the holden sportswagon as a G8 variant. sure not the same, but arguably (okay, definately) better looking and cheaper
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    maybe you'll get the holden sportswagon as a G8 variant. sure not the same, but arguably (okay, definately) better looking and cheaper
    Oh I freaking hope so. I'll just have to wait and see if GM does it. They also need to bring the Holden Ute over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Gekiga In View Post
    I really wish we got the latest M5 wagon over here, but sadly I don't think it will happen.
    Yeah, I really hope it comes over here as well.

Thread Information