Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: WRX STi. What of it?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    i love the boxer rumble on subaru's, they're instantly recognizable burbling down the street. i'd still have to go for an evo though my friend has an evo IV TME and it is awesome.
    i also like the current ralliart evo
    Heh... still this one for me

(Husain, have a squiz again )
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've read that the 2.0 had a nicer "burbly" sound that the U.S. STi's 2.5. It's down on power a little though, and the 2.5 might beat it in the longevity department.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    For instance, you can't get the tail working in a STi unless you really, REALLY want it to step out, at which point the car's like "you asked for it," and there you are, halfway through the corner with a big armfull of opposite lock and no idea what to do with it. It's the kind of handling problem skinnier tires would solve, as the level of grip, both foreward and lateral is just so hard to overcome.
    You do know STi's have DCCD. So if you want it to be taily, don't be a girl and turn the DCCD off auto, dial it all the way to the rears and good luck.

I like that chin spoiler. Bet curbs and speedbumps do too. Good thing somebody got a picture.

I've read that the 2.0 had a nicer "burbly" sound that the U.S. STi's 2.5. It's down on power a little though, and the 2.5 might beat it in the longevity department.
    In Aus, the 2.5 is actually up a little on power, but the drivability is better becasue of the extra capacity off boost. But the "burble" is almost the same

Quote Originally Posted by mmm_aapls
    You do know STi's have DCCD. So if you want it to be taily, don't be a girl and turn the DCCD off auto, dial it all the way to the rears and good luck.

I ought to find out where you live and beat you for saying that, you goddamn fool.

The split is 35/65 with the little wheel all the way back.

****, why am I even responding?

I like that chin spoiler. Bet curbs and speedbumps do too. Good thing somebody got a picture.
    It coped well with the high street... but... it looks a bit ridiculous. Have you seen the vortex generators?

I can post a pic if need be.

Twit-twoo.
    Last edited by IWantAnAudiRS6; 06-13-2006 at 05:59 PM.

I ought to find out where you live and beat you for saying that, you goddamn fool.

The split is 35/65 with the little wheel all the way back.

****, why am I even responding?
    What is your point? Dial it to the back and then see how taily it is. Have you actually ever driven an STi?????

By the way, it says where I live in my profile.

Ok. Let me clarify, at the expense of my own time, for the sake of apple-man.

I generally do keep the DCCD all the way back. As far as affecting the power oversteer, I don't really notice a difference, as the differential usually stays 35/65 anyway, unless the wheelspeed and lateral force sensors detect a slide and freak out, sending it near 50/50, which generally means that the big armfull of opposite lock you just applied to catch the slide is suddenly too much. You have to sort of anticipate when the front wheels are going to get that extra dollop of power and ease off the opposite lock in a two-stage process.

In manually controlled mode, it's just a lot easier, but still doesn't fix my gripe that in order to start a slide you've got to be either in second gear on a really tight corner (90 degree intersection, say) or well and truly hauling ass in third, provoking the tail with a stab at the brakes on turn-in followed by full throttle well before the apex and hoping that you don't just understeer off into the weeds. The first method isn't too bad, and you can usually come off looking like a lot better driver than you really are, what with the AWD making a spin less likely. The second method is ****ing terrifying and I consider myself lucky (though that's ultimately the Owl's area to judge) to have pulled it off once. I won't be trying it again, since I'm not a supernaturally gifted driver like everybody else here.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm_aapls
    What is your point? Dial it to the back and then see how taily it is. Have you actually ever driven an STi?????

By the way, it says where I live in my profile.
    Did you actually bother to read the thread before you started posting in it? Might help a little next time.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Is that Melbourne, Australia?

I went to high school at Melbourne, Arkansas. That would save a Ton of money on the ass-kicking.

Sorry, Audi-Man, I'm kind of multi-tasking here. Yeah, the little Shark-tooth thingies on the roof. Yeah, I dig those, but not as much as the biplane-wing setup on the current STi's. You know, the little wing at an angle of attack about the same as the rake of the rear windshield? I read somewhere that the same setup on the late-70's BMW CSL gained them 8 seconds on the 'Ring over the rear wing alone.

Any word on whether the EVO's vortex generators actually work? Not that it really matters, they look cool enough to stay.

Is that Melbourne, Australia?

I went to high school at Melbourne, Arkansas. That would save a Ton of money on the ass-kicking.
    Yes Jack I know, I was only stirring.

yes it is Melbourne Australia, as I have said in previous posts.
    My comments are based on experiences in STi's and my WRX. I can get the tail out in my rex fairly easily if I need to, and as you would know that doesn't have DCCD.
    The last STi I drove was on a skidpan / race track and it was an '06 2.5 lt "Pig Nose". Now with the DCCD dialed back, that car was very taily (mind you it did have an aftermarket adjustable rear sway bar fitted but everything else was stock).

High Street.... Oh, hell, just noticed that you're British. Good for you. Great country. Damn shame about Dze Germans taking over Rolls-Royce and Bentley, though I suppose that being bought out beats going under.

I have actually thought about moving to England. EVO and Octane make it seem like such a nice place, though Dickens clashes a bit. Also, everybody hates Americans right now. I went to Germany a couple years ago to visit an Exchange-student friend who had moved back. I spent most of my time debating the finer points of America's foreign policy with a bunch of drunken Ex-German Army kids. Luckily, I know ****-all about the finer points of American foreign policy and could usually manage to placate them enough to get back to trying to have a good time.

Also, I hear about anti-car lobbying and legislation being passed every day limiting the freedom of English drivers. We have some crazy redneck cops over here who HATE the whole Ricer scene, which I'm apparently a part of, but we don't have speed cameras, yet.

There you go. Aftermarket rear sway bar. That's the difference. I've been meaning to buy a set for... oh... two years now, but the money usually dries up as rent and insurance comes due.

Thread Information