Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: America Going to Hell

America Going to Hell

Just saw on the news that a teacher was arrested for having sex with a student. The thing is, the student was of legal age (18), and the teacher is now facing felony charges. What the hell is wrong with the government? Why does our society elect people who would limit our freedoms in ways like this? Just another reason I hate Texas, the only state to regulate who you can have sex with based on your occupation.

Also, justification for the law by saying teachers have control over students is bs. In a company or any other hierachal organization, the higher ranking people will have power over those under them. Will we make it a crime to marry your boss? What about above your social class?

end rant

It's meant to be some sort of breach of trust if you **** a student.

I personally wouldn't mind getting a good rogering from my Media teacher, but there we go.

The student in question was also under the age of consent - nice omission.

The reason these things are regulated is so that we don't have those who would abuse children teaching them - the effects of sexual abuse can last a lifetime and seriously screw up a child.

I understand where your coming from in the rant but the teacher knew it was the wrong thing and continued. they'll get what they deserve.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

no the student was 18, a legal adult, that's why it pisses me off. Legal age of consent is usually 16 or 17

From what I've read (And I have) the student was, at the time of the felony, underage.

Teachers know the rules, this one chose to break them.

I know theres the whole 'the heart wants what it wants' thing, but these laws protect students who are vunerable to attacks from older, wiser individuals who can exploit them. simple.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Article

The original article
    Quote Originally Posted by Associated Press
    DALLAS (June 11) - The arrest of a high school teacher for allegedly having sex with an 18-year-old student has raised questions about the age constraints of the state's three-year-old law criminalizing student-teacher sexual relationships.

Amy McElhenney, 25, was arrested May 25 and charged with having an improper relationship with a student. The Spanish teacher and former Miss Texas contestant faces up to 20 years in prison.

But some lawmakers say the Hebron High School student's status as a legal adult should exempt McElhenney from the felony charge.

State Rep. Helen Giddings, D-Dallas, wrote the Texas law in 2003 that criminalizes sex between educators and students. But she said she wanted the law to apply only to students 17 and younger - uncomfortable with making sex between two legal, consenting adults a felony.

"I feel differently about 17-year-olds than I do about 18-year-olds," Giddings said. "I don't necessarily believe the penalty for the two should necessarily be the same."

But other legislators added amendments to Giddings' bill when it reached the floor of the House, making it illegal for educators to have sexual relationships with students of any age. Rep. Warren Chisum, R-Pampa, proposed dropping the age limit, arguing that teachers wield a power over students that diminishes the pupils' ability to consent.

"If they're a student, I just think they're off bounds regardless of their age," Chisum said. "I felt like if we didn't do that, we just virtually made it open season on students that are 18 years old."

Neither McElhenney nor her attorney could immediately be reached for comment.

The woman's arrest attracted national media interest - which did not surprise Carrollton police Sgt. Pat Murphy, who cited the sensational elements of the case.

"It's about what I expected for what this case is," Murphy said of the media blitz. "You've got a teacher that was a beauty pageant contestant that is accused of having sex with a student."

But McElhenney's arrest also prompted debates around the nation concerning Texas' law and the criminality of student-teacher relationships when the pupil is a legal adult.

"It's a little harsh, even for Texas law," defense attorney Jeffrey Lichtman told The Dallas Morning News. Lichtman discussed the case on a Fox news show.

He called the law "a little heavy handed, and it seems like a flavor-of-the-moment law."

Dallas lawyer Jim Moore said he felt the age issue would make jurors less likely to sentence a defendant to the 20-year prison term for an alleged relationship with a consenting adult. Moore represents a Garland school district teacher accused of having such a relationship in 2005.

"It's going to be real interesting to see what a jury thinks about this legislation," Moore said.

06/11/06 13:12 EDT

Former Miss Texas contestant?

Screw what the heart wants, it's what the dick wants.

To be honest I wouldn't exactly see this particular incident as the most obvious example of America going to Hell. I'd be far more worried about the ethics of things like the CIA's extraordinary renditions and the ongoing human rights controversy surrounding the Guantanamo Bay prison camp.

And yes, it is a breach of trust for a teacher to sleep with a student, and the teacher would/should be well aware of the legal implications. If they went ahead and did it knowing full well the law then I don't really have a lot of sympathy for them.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

The point I'm making is that the legality of what two people do together should never be determined by the job they have or relationship and the government has no right involving itself in the lives of private citizens.

^^ I agree there...

The student hasn't pleaded rape or the teacher sexual harrassment.

Teachers favour students anyway, so I don't see the difference a quick go in the broom cupboard would make.

*shrugs*

Some guys just prefer older women...

she's only 25 he's 18. But its completely legal for any other 18 girl year old to marry any rich old man. And they want to give her twenty years in prison.

Surely if the kid was 18 he would be very close to graduating anyways? Could she not just have kept her legs together for a couple of months and waited 'til he had left school? I know at my old school that's what one of the teachers did, he ended up marrying and having a kid with one of the girls he had taught in 6th form. Just a bit of common sense needed really, keep it in your pants until you know nothing drastic is gonna come of it.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Just another reason I hate Texas, the only state to regulate who you can have sex with based on your occupation.
    and theres just another reason why i dislike you (notice i dont use "hate", like you, you lead a sad bitter life) You're going to hate an entire state because a teacher broke the law and is being prosecuted accordingly?

Laws are laws, dont break them, no matter how stupid they are. if it's illegal to have sex with a student, wait till the summer, after he graduated, DUH!
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    Surely if the kid was 18 he would be very close to graduating anyways? Could she not just have kept her legs together for a couple of months and waited 'til he had left school? I know at my old school that's what one of the teachers did, he ended up marrying and having a kid with one of the girls he had taught in 6th form. Just a bit of common sense needed really, keep it in your pants until you know nothing drastic is gonna come of it.
    i was typing the same thing as you posted that
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

not only that, but you beat USC

Thread Information