Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sales crash causes Holden to rethink safety

They havent been done any favours by the latest trend to actually care about dynamics. Even the journalistic hacks trying to pass themselves off as motoring enthusiasts in the papers are rating cars on how they actually drive now. It seems the only people that give the Koreans credit are the "Australia's Best" round of awards, which perhaps screw around with things a bit too much by trying to add a weighting to different scores to find a more relevant winner. As such, the cheaper price usually wins over better handling, more responsiveness etc.
    I am the Stig

That price Vs. Ability equation was probably what Holden were looking for.

I can imagine they can stick a larger mark-up on the New Barina (import costs are cheaper, manufacturing...you name it, it's cheaper) than the old one (which suffered from being european and talented).

Australia's best awards are severely flawed in their method of judgement - Cost is obviously one of the main deciding factors, instead of say quality or ability. but I guess they're representitive of real world decisions - do I really want to spend an extra $2K on a excellent Fiesta when I can buy a capable Getz and pocket the change?

On a budget, I know what i'd do.

Doesn't excuse crap product being passed off as talented, or even 'New', Holden.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Holden made no secret of their belief they thought the last chain of Daewoo's didnt sell because of the image the brand accumulated many years ago. You cant blame Holden for not seeing that i suppose. You wouldnt dismiss your child as a retard if he didnt stop drooling for instance...
    10 points

Deawoo is like Holden and Ford fighting with the big boys like Mercedes BMW etc. Only thing is they arnt that bad But you know what i mean it's a underdog with value over the high priced big name.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    10 points

Deawoo is like Holden and Ford fighting with the big boys like Mercedes BMW etc. Only thing is they arnt that bad But you know what i mean it's a underdog with value over the high priced big name.
    Dawoos fit and finish is very queastionable and i rember actually stripping the paint on a side rear view mirror when i used petrol to clean some bugs off it (your not supposed to but when everything else fails you use the petrol) the paint is worse then land rovers and their notorious for bad paint!

My uncle at once stage borrowed one from his work (hes a driving instructor) and we had a closer look at the cost cutting is so very evident from the engine bay their was no pobvious signs of any major re-enforcment and under the car there was only 2 bars roughly the size of my index fingers...and neddless to mention they have what is the old camira motor (its hardly improved) and simple things that where the norm since the 60s like engine paint are not even employed(they cost cut that much!) and after all that the parts are as dear as poison.

Dawoo are truely horrable cars even hyundai have a better quality and their not special by any means.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

They also skimp out on development costs and time alot apparently still. Even today when their quality might be at an acceptable level, where its at the point where you could say their previous issues are harming them more than their current issues, they still suffer in development. I know someone on another forum who works in Korea, who despises the local manufacturers their for their policies and habits.
    I am the Stig

Well those cars might be acceptable over there but they shouldent be aloud to be sold here I dont care how "decent" they might be after crawling over one and quite frankly being horified by how it was put together i think they shouldent be toted here in anyform.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

In went to my local Holden dealer because I was thinking of getting a Viva wagon (before I realised it was a re-badged Daewoo). I was looking at the engine and the belts and other parts still have Daewoo written all over them. When I questioned the salesman about it he said that they were Daewoo's but the suspension and steering had been "modified". That may be so but in my opinion, if Daewoo is written all over the engine, then it is a bloody Daewoo! So even Holden dealers are trying to pass them off as Holdens knowing full well that they aren't!

No surprise really..

Anyone else see the irony in someone with Volvo in their name posting in a topic on safety?
    I am the Stig

Well given his apreciation of the volvo product it is no suprise he was almost downright hostile towards the dawoo product saftys wise its like comparing a shermin tank to a rick-sahw.

Isn't it a holden built donk?
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Isn't it a holden built donk?
    Yup ala world j-car platform (camira) same engine still used in the BOMBOs and other such rubbish (had the head melt on the combo at work )

Family 2 engine right?
    I am the Stig

Cant rember what they called it after the camira but you cant miss them you see on once and youll never forget it.....extremly weird looking.

Thread Information