Thread: Renault sign Fisi for 2007

Renault sign Fisi for 2007

According to F1-Live Renault has signed Fisi for 2007. Good for him!

BUt the question remains, who is up for the second most desired seat?

I think JPM should pull a "Senna": Offer to drive for $0, as Ayrton did in 94 with Williams... we will see...
    Zag when they Zig

I think that it is evident that Renault management wants to cut costs in its F1 activity. They do want to continue at the top level of the sport, but minimize the costs involved.

This is already in the ethos of the company, as they have the sixth biggest budget (http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/head...5132140.shtml). They want to cut more costs by supplying a second team with its engines (http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_...82564,00.html).

In my opinion, as far as the driver market is concerned, they want to slash costs. That is the reason why they signed Fisichella. I believe that the second driver will not be an expensive one. That is why I don't believe that they will sign Raikonnen or Schumacher, as rumoured.

For more info see http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16969.html

It would be a good idea for Renault to sign Coulthard or JPM. I agree that they are not the best of the best, but they provide good value for money. After all, Renault will hopefully be fighting for the championship, so Coulthard will get his chance (although I'm pretty sure that he will f*ck up).

But all this is speculation...

I think with all the hype that Flavio and Renault have been putting behind Heikki Kovaleinen he would be the obvious choice as a cheap option for Renault. He's been impressing in testing so far this season, and has proved he can race competently in GP2 last season, so I think he'll get the nod. Mark Webber is the other name that has been mentioned because of his connections with Briatore, but it'll cost a pretty penny to prise him away from Williams so i don't think they'll bother going down that avenue.

Potentially more interesting is the future of Flavio Briatore. He is yet to sign a new contract with Renault, and the rumour is that he won't really want to continue as manager unless there is a golden chance of winning championships again. With a driver pairing of Fisico and possibly Kovaleinen, they certainly won't be favourites anymore I wouldn't have thought.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Webber was really always as an alternative to Fisi, so that sinks that boat. Unless Renault are hoping Frank's option can be broken with a supply of Renault engines, provided the Toyota deal truly isnt signed yet.

Although, with Fisi's new contract only being one year, and Frank's option on Webber being one year, thats surely something that will keep being read into.

Now theres Fisi's "Finnish" comments, basically nailing it down to Raikkonen or Kovalainen. History shows Flav sticks his protege's in a team at the back of the grid, although with RB taking over Minardi, Aguri Suzuki interested in only Japanese drivers and Midland making a mockery of racing, he seems out of options. Although, again the 2nd supply of Renault engines could position one of his drivers where he wants them. If Williams go for the 2nd supply of Toyota engines, Midland might be willing to pick up Renault engines and drop either Albers or Monteiro. Maybe both, who knows. There seems at least half a dozen good new drivers about to break into F1, Midland may see the benefit in accepting other team's future drivers for some "compensation"...
    I am the Stig

I wouldn't have put my money on Fisi, but oh well. Still good news as Kovalainen hopefully starts off as the second driver and now more than ever he has a good chance of becoming the first driver a few races into the season.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Thread Information