Thread: Engine Noise Converters?

Engine Noise Converters?

I have just bought an old Ford Sierra to have a tinker with. I have heard about these kits you can get that will make the engine sound like anything you want. I am interested, if commercially available, in getting one fitted to the Sierra. Does anyone have any websites or general information about these?

I just love the idea of people thinking my Sierra has say a V8 fitted, when actually it doesn't.
    On a Good day, Chris Bangle designs the Fiat Coupe.
    On a Bad day, he designs a BMW.

R.I.P Richard Burns.

What? Like a car noise playing through your sound system? Or is it boy racers thinking their 1.8 Sierra sounds like something good when you add a 12' exhaust?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RS6
    I just love the idea of people thinking my Sierra has say a V8 fitted, when actually it doesn't.
    Much more fun to have a V8 fitted but make it sound like a 1.8, no?
    It is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6
    I have just bought an old Ford Sierra to have a tinker with. I have heard about these kits you can get that will make the engine sound like anything you want. I am interested, if commercially available, in getting one fitted to the Sierra. Does anyone have any websites or general information about these?

I don't think it is worth the effort, from what i can remember it plays out of the stereo speakers in your car and either it runs through the ECU or through a series of sensors fitted to the throttle. I don't think it is worth the investment. Too much money for something you will get bored of after a while.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

I hope by tinker you mean strip and use parts on a kit car

Well actually I am going to see about getting a cossie lump put into it. I am then going to uprate the brakes but keep the 1.8 litre badging.

And these Noise converters actually change the sound the engine makes whether you are in the car or not. I saw it on TV once and also have a car magazine somewhere with an article, but I cannot find it.
    On a Good day, Chris Bangle designs the Fiat Coupe.
    On a Bad day, he designs a BMW.

R.I.P Richard Burns.

Well if you want to do an engine swap I'm sure you could fit a V8 into one, the engine bay is massive, even in the V6 XR4x4. Then you won't have to worry about a sound-a-like exhaust

Make your Stereo Sound like a v8

I'm also afte one of these devices, an anyone help?

Why bother making people think it has a V8 when it really doesn't? When people realize you don't have a V8, they're gonna look at you like a "ricer wanna be".

If you're gonna spend time and money on the car, why not tune the engine and install a real high perf exuast system in it? It'll improve the performance of your car and sound cool also. Just my 2 cents.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Why bother making people think it has a V8 when it really doesn't? When people realize you don't have a V8, they're gonna look at you like a "ricer wanna be".

If you're gonna spend time and money on the car, why not tune the engine and install a real high perf exuast system in it? It'll improve the performance of your car and sound cool also. Just my 2 cents.
    I dont think you have a grasp on the device atm Taz.
    It hooks upto your TACHO and Stereo system, and people inside your card are treated to 1 of several engine sound duplications. For what may cost "$50" at a guess I can have a cheap thrill and a bit of amusement. Want to make your VW sound like a Turbo yeah its called fun at little cost. Not everyone has the money to spend big on engines, exhausts and kits, nor do they want to create a nice car to attract theives and joyriders.
    I've had my own suped-up car days, now I own a 4x4 and go places that'd make u cry.

Quote Originally Posted by DOCTOR
    It hooks upto your TACHO and Stereo system, and people inside your card are treated to 1 of several engine sound duplications. For what may cost "$50" at a guess I can have a cheap thrill and a bit of amusement. Want to make your VW sound like a Turbo yeah its called fun at little cost. Not everyone has the money to spend big on engines, exhausts and kits, nor do they want to create a nice car to attract theives and joyriders.
    I've had my own suped-up car days, now I own a 4x4 and go places that'd make u cry.
    Ouch...
    had a bad day?

Bondage clubs make me cry, doctors are well known patrons of such place AND think of all the whips you could fit into a range rover

I know excatly what it is...and I still think it's silly. But if your into things like that..then enjoy.

I never suggested RS6 to spend big bucks on his car, even though, he just might be able to do so if he wants, you never know.

I'd rather stay on the pavement and fly by you comming out of a corner.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Thread Information