Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Automotive Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    how do you know what to cram if you haven't been to the classes?
    you show up to the first class to get the schedual, then just cram all of it in a couple days

and if all else fails, cheat, just dont get caught

Thats official then, dont take KnifeEdge's advice
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    and if all else fails, cheat, just dont get caught
    That is the worst thing to do,because you still won't know it and get in trouble later... Plus what's the point of cheating with maths ? ou dont know the calculations before the test....

Well ive always found the formula sheets always have completely irrelevant formulas on them, so you could bring in your own

Its still not a good idea either as if you get caught, thats an instant 000000000
    I am the Stig

not to mention cheating doesn't really work in most university level courses, as you still need to have a grasp of the topic
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Well ive always found the formula sheets always have completely irrelevant formulas on them, so you could bring in your own

Its still not a good idea either as if you get caught, thats an instant 000000000
    In my VCE maths exams we were allowed to bring in a A4 sheet of formula's. It maybe different in NSW.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    That is the worst thing to do,because you still won't know it and get in trouble later... Plus what's the point of cheating with maths ? ou dont know the calculations before the test....
    cuz there's about a billion anal formulas and rules you need to know, and they're all insanely long and complex

we're not allowed formula sheets in any of our courses ..

To get this back on topic, I've found the best way to study, in this case Mathematics, is to look over what you are doing, and try to understand it. When you do not know what you are reading, and try to memorize it... it's difficult remembering what you had crammed in your head. On the other hand, having an understanding of what you are doing helps since common-sense, reasoning, and other intellectual skills come into play.

It may sound weird, but it's just something I've picked up. I'll be going to Uni for Engineering this coming September, so the best of luck to you Drakkie.

Cramming doesn't work for me, if it didn't go in the first time it will never go in.

I discovered an awesome method for studying the other day, though this may not apply/help. I had to write three essays in my exam, but we get given the exam before so we can prepare so basically we just have to remember 3 essays not any facts. I wrote out 3 plans, then talked them out to myself, trying not too look at my plans but I would if I got stuck. By the 3rd or 4th time I went through them, I didn't forget anything or need to look at my plans. Lo and behold I remembered it all. And this was the night before as well.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

They were either 3 short essays or you are the rain man.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    not to mention cheating doesn't really work in most university level courses, as you still need to have a grasp of the topic
    I found cheatings on exams to be quite prevalent at my University. In fact the only guy I know to complete his ME degree in 4 years (talking 7-8 classes a semester), was one of the biggest cheaters I ever met.

As far as understanding course work I recommend getting the solution guide to your text. When I was able to get a solution guide it was much easier to understand the methodology for solving the problems, and it also saves a lot of wasted time. When preparing for an exam I could get through a lot more practice problems.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

best way to study = get notes from the most hardworking students in your class and study from those... then u dun have to go to class yourself, most of the time dun even need a textbook..

/graduated my mechanical engineering degree this way...
    //graduated with distinction

Well i kinda figured out a way for this... I practice some calculations. i check the answers if they are wrong im going over them again. If my fault had to do with the way how to calculate it, i would re-read that theory and practice easy and later harder calculations...

Thread Information