Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup - Germany 2006 - Knock out stage

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    Rumour has it you have some contact details...
    Have you read that in some magazine?
    No. Not anymore, since our relation was short and strictly professional. Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    how many goals have you seen made from midfield? It's more luck than skill from that distance.
    Are you sure? http://www.flabber.nl/archief/016600.php
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    In short, nothing beats this: http://www.flabber.nl/archief/016602.php
    That site it blocked by the UAE gov.

Have you read that in some magazine?
    No. Not anymore, since our relation was short and strictly professional. Damn!
    UCP edition!
    What did you do....hairdressing?

That site it blocked by the UAE gov.
    Jeez! Censorship sucks. It's an amusing dutch website with many clips from some of the greatest footballer's careers.

UCP edition!
    What did you do....hairdressing?
    Nope. I wrote some texts she had to read on an event for a client of mine. So we had to discuss them before the event and later, on the backstage of the event itself. It was a fashion event, so yes, I fulfilled one of male's biggest ambitions.
    Last edited by McReis; 06-22-2006 at 05:50 AM.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

But that moment when he tried to score was prolly after 120 meaningless kicks in the middle of the field=boring.
    You see, this seems to be get at the fundamental difference between American style sports like Basketball or Gridiron, and real sports like football (soccer). American sports audiences only like to see points being being scored and LOTS of it. In a sport like soccer there is the enjoyment of watching the craft, guile and skill of watching a goal being created from the midfield or defence. A good example is a game like basketball. Run up to one of the court - score. Run straight back up the other end - score. Run straight back up the other end - score.... and so on. The most exciting thing in a basketball game is when someone actually MISSES. How ridiculous is that?!

It explains why NASCAR is more popular than proper motorsport. People wanna see non-stop action/carnage. They can't appreciate seeing a race won through sheer speed, fantastic laptimes or tactics. If there's not 600 overtaking manouevres and half a dozen near fatal accidents per race then "Dude that SUCKED!...Pass me another beer."

So you don't like soccer, you don't like basketball, you don't seem to like American footy, I HOPE you don't like NASCAR ( ). What in your book classes as a GOOD sport?

Oh, and if you still think kicking a ball is easy and that anyone could do it, could just anyone do stuff like this? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEFXf...earch=showboat

Or like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEF0W...onaldinho%20vs
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    You see, this seems to be get at the fundamental difference between American style sports like Basketball or Gridiron, and real sports like football (soccer). American sports audiences only like to see points being being scored and LOTS of it. In a sport like soccer there is the enjoyment of watching the craft, guile and skill of watching a goal being created from the midfield or defence. A good example is a game like basketball. Run up to one of the court - score. Run straight back up the other end - score. Run straight back up the other end - score.... and so on. The most exciting thing in a basketball game is when someone actually MISSES. How ridiculous is that?!

It explains why NASCAR is more popular than proper motorsport. People wanna see non-stop action/carnage. They can't appreciate seeing a race won through sheer speed, fantastic laptimes or tactics. If there's not 600 overtaking manouevres and half a dozen near fatal accidents per race then "Dude that SUCKED!...Pass me another beer."

So you don't like soccer, you don't like basketball, you don't seem to like American footy, I HOPE you don't like NASCAR ( ). What in your book classes as a GOOD sport?

Oh, and if you still think kicking a ball is easy and that anyone could do it, could just anyone do stuff like this? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEFXf...earch=showboat

Or like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEF0W...onaldinho%20vs
    Awwww, did I step on your favorite sport?

Yes. Yes you did!

But seriously, all your responses as to why you don't like football clearly come from the view of a guy who knows nothing about the sport and how to play it.

The argument about football being 'silly' because of the way it's played is fairly nonsensical anyway. You could apply that argument to just about any sport you wanted. Golf? Using a big stick to hit a little white ball into hole - what's the point in that?

Hockey? Skating around on ice hitting a little black plastic thing into a net - how daft is that?

Motorsport? Driving round and round in circles on a long line - how daft?!

See what I'm getting at? All sports are intrinsically contrived and a bit daft and pointless. It's the moments of skill, vision and athleticism that emerge within the silliness that are what gets people excited. All sports have them to some degree I guess, but soccer has them more than others IMO.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Yes. Yes you did!

But seriously, all your responses as to why you don't like football clearly come from the view of a guy who knows nothing about the sport and how to play it.

The argument about football being 'silly' because of the way it's played is fairly nonsensical anyway. You could apply that argument to just about any sport you wanted. Golf? Using a big stick to hit a little white ball into hole - what's the point in that?

Hockey? Skating around on ice hitting a little black plastic thing into a net - how daft is that?

Motorsport? Driving round and round in circles on a long line - how daft?!

See what I'm getting at? All sports are intrinsically contrived and a bit daft and pointless. It's the moments of skill, vision and athleticism that emerge within the silliness that are what gets people excited. All sports have them to some degree I guess, but soccer has them more than others IMO.
    As I've said I have played organized footy so don't take that slant with me.

The fact is you guys can't defend footy because I've exposed it for what it is to watch...boring. Even watching ball control is boring after an hour of no progress on the field.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Love that video, I have it on the PC.

BTW, you've earned 100% of my respect!

The fact is you guys can't defend footy because I've exposed it for what it is to watch...boring. Even watching ball control is boring after an hour of no progress on the field.

ah touche, but to YOU it is boring to watch, we all have personal prefrence, and the sheer global audience for the world cup, let alone the premier league is an indication to its popularity and power to draw in audiences both young and old. How many people, devoted basketball, baseball, motorsport fans have I heard recently talking about the world cup - ALOT. Point being, its a skilled game that requires patience to watch and were the goal scoring is rewarding, not like basketball where it simply carries the game on. Even if the game had no progress, but terrific passages of play with craftsmanship of the ball and some great shots on goal - that will make me a very entertained individual.

The world cup brings about that sense of heightened passion in alot of us, even if were not die hard fans of the game, we cheer for our country.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    ah touche, but to YOU it is boring to watch, we all have personal prefrence, and the sheer global audience for the world cup, let alone the premier league is an indication to its popularity and power to draw in audiences both young and old. How many people, devoted basketball, baseball, motorsport fans have I heard recently talking about the world cup - ALOT. Point being, its a skilled game that requires patience to watch and were the goal scoring is rewarding, not like basketball where it simply carries the game on. Even if the game had no progress, but terrific passages of play with craftsmanship of the ball and some great shots on goal - that will make me a very entertained individual.

The world cup brings about that sense of heightened passion in alot of us, even if were not die hard fans of the game, we cheer for our country.
    Yeah, my country beat your country...la la la la!

Let me conclude this thread. Dino doesn't like watching soccer. /end.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    In short, nothing beats this: http://www.flabber.nl/archief/016602.php
    the music in the background to that video

i'm just a soul who's intentions are good
    yeah right
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Let me conclude this thread. Dino doesn't like watching soccer. /end.

Oh no! You called it soccer!

I think it's all based on personal opinion Dino.

Back to subject please.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    I think it's all based on personal opinion Dino.

Back to subject please.
    Yeah, that's why I put IMO after some of my comments. IMO= In My Opinion.

Thread Information