Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 'Nerds new wheels

The 'Nerds new wheels

After owning a 1997 Ford Mondeo for five years I finally sold it and bought another car. Time for a change finally. Got A$5,800 for the Mondeo, so I had to make a decision whether to spend a few hundred and get another car I own or borrow $10-15K and buy the Mazda6 or Falcon BA that I really wanted. Decided I'm better off not borrowing money, so went looking for another car around the $6K mark.
    And found a 1998 Ford Falcon EL Futura with Tickford enhanced suspension and Tickford 16 inch alloy wheels (the same ones fitted to the Falcon XR6 at that time), for exactly $6K. Its done 152,000km whereas the Mondeo had on 70,000km on the clock, but in other respects its much better value for money. Other than the aforementioned suspension and alloys, the luxury items its got that the Mondeo didn't have include cruise, electric front windows, 6-speaker stereo, towbar (useful for moving things), a remote for the central locking and ABS. Also has power steering, drivers airbag and air conditioning, all of which the Mondeo had anyway. And the Falcon has a 4-speed automatic (great for city driving, not so for twisty corners) whereas the Mondeo had a 5-speed manual transmission.
    The Falcon features a 4.0 litre SOHC straight six engine producing power of 157kW@4,900rpm and a torque figure of 357Nm@3,000rpm. Weighs 1,536kg though, so its not exactly a fireball off the line - according to a Motor road test times for the 0-100km are around the 9.2 sec mark and the 0-400m times are around 16.7sec.
    Now, this one major disadvantage of this car over the Mondeo is that it will use lots more petrol, but since it represents much better value for the dollar and I do less than 10,000kms a year I don't think it matters that much.
    So far, I've only done about 60kms since I picked it up and I'm impressed with the comfort and smoothness of the car, and the Tickford enhancements are obvious from the firmish suspension and half-decent steering feel. It doesn't have the taut, tight body control of the Mondeo - in fact Falcons of all vintages are renowned for body roll - nor does the steering have quite as much feedback, but the ultimate handling/ride balance should prove better, albiet with lots more body roll.
    Also, next time I go to a V8 Supercar race, it will be pretty obvious which of the two marques that race I tend to support.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 06-24-2006 at 05:45 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

That looks really nice and clean, always loved that body style!

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    That looks really nice and clean, always loved that body style!
    It does rather. My friends EF in comparison looks alot more worn out and faded, although thats a 5 speed. Being a 98 its also one of the last made for the EL
    I am the Stig

Our lady of snow? anyway nice car.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    It does rather. My friends EF in comparison looks alot more worn out and faded, although thats a 5 speed. Being a 98 its also one of the last made for the EL
    I've yet to see a 1998 EL in New Zealand, did they not import any to NZ in 1998?

They shouldve. Theres nothing to really differentiate the 97 from the 98 though so it makes it hard to check for one youve seen on the street
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    I've yet to see a 1998 EL in New Zealand, did they not import any to NZ in 1998?
    They did. In fact the very last ELs would've been sold in NZ in late 98. The AU was released in NZ a little later in 98 than it was Aust.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Our lady of snow?
    A business that operates across the road, helps old folks with laundry and other services I believe.

nice car mate

now you need a set of 17's (and a little lower if you wanted)

a bit like this, my '95 EF Falcon

For insurance reasons, I think I'll leave it standard. The Tickford enhancements improve the suspension enough anyway.
    Nice looking car you have there by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwaveracing
    nice car mate

That's a brilliant picture. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwaveracing
    nice car mate

man your Falcon looks sexy! great job with that.

And i've checked alot of regirstration stickers and all that, never seen a 98'er EL yet.

Here's a 98 EL for sale in NZ: http://www.autotrader.co.nz/DesktopD...s=autotradernz
    Aussie cars don't seem as cheap over there in NZ though. Guess unlike here in Australia, they hold value better, whereas cars from most other countries are much cheaper in NZ than they are in Australia.

You done great mate looks sweet and so cheap for a 98 model, No engine shot
    You should get 450-600 local my brothers EF got about that, I'll have to tell you some of the things he done for extra speed and look.
    My brother got a redback 2.5" system fitted to his car and it sounded bloody awesome only cost $320. Toss on some kings springs go low hot hot.
    Great choice great buy heres to many many years of enjoyable driving.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Problem is if its got the Tickford suspension, if you try swap in some new springs your just as likely to decrease the handling as you are to improve it.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information