Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lotus Supercar

New Lotus Supercar

Lotus is making a new supercar, set for 2007/2008. pics and info at http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/24/s...-lotus-esprit/

So who wants to buy me one?

It looks identicle, wich means like it was conceived 20 years ago. They need to up date the look a bit at least
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

its a test mule read
    that is the old body

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy
    It looks identicle, wich means like it was conceived 20 years ago. They need to up date the look a bit at least

It's a test mule.. They use the body of the old Esprit to test the new chassis without revealing the new cars looks.
    "Power, Beauty, Soul" - Aston Martin

I know what a test mule is im just too full of ADHD to read the entire article haha
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Looks (especially for Porsche and Lotus vehicles, Ultima...) matters not.

Apparently it'll have a 4.8-litre BMW V8 and it'll be the substitute for the old Esprit.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by jones.dk
    It's a test mule.. They use the body of the old Esprit to test the new chassis without revealing the new cars looks.
    Welcome back haven't seen you here for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    and it'll be the substitute for the old Esprit.
    you're kidding.

Autocar had pics of it last week. It said a 5 ltr BMW and Lotus CEO would not confirm or deny, as usual. There has been a waiting list for a year for the new car. Which will not be named esprit but will be an "E" name. You can add your name to the list at Lotus of Atlanta (which is also Lambrogini Of Atlanta which is also.... The Bimmer Store!!!) Anyway 1 grand gets your name on the list. I think the list is at 10+ right now. And IMHO the lotus V8 was a piece of crap, lots of problems with head gaskets, not a good design.
    Last edited by GGamble; 06-30-2006 at 05:38 PM.

What happened to the Supercharged 3L V6? Is that not being used for the Espirit replacement anymore?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I really quite like this and I look forward to more spy shots and am quite excited for this car!!

I assume that it is the same V8 in the 550 650 750. They should be able to get 400hp+ easily. Lets hope Lotus can keep weight under 2700lbs.

"It looks identicle, wich means like it was conceived 20 years ago. They need to up date the look a bit at least." ...

Lord have mercy, how'd he even get them britches on.

It is quite a bit longer behind the doors. That's interesting. But I'm sure the BMW unit is longer than the old Esprit V8. Reckon what sort of bodywork they'l drape over it? Hope they don't look to the current Europa for inspiration.
    I guess that somewhere in a dark room Lotus stylists decided that one of the things that made the original Europa so endearing was its fugly styling. Two thumbs up for topping the original in the ugly department, that was quite a feat considering the original looked like the unhappy child of a salamander and a school bus. But two big thumbs down for making it look soulless and boring without any of the original's character.

Good news is that a company re-manufactures original Europas with Alfa V-6's. That's the "new" Lotus I'd take, if I had any money.

I realise that this is just a test mule, but I'm a little worried that it won't look anywhere near as good when the real thing rolls off the production line

Fingers crossed.

Thread Information