Page 35 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: "What's this car?" Official Thread

It seems to be a 3.0 CSi. But it's hard to say.
    One thing is for sure: this is one of the most beautiful BMW's ever IMHO.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

It most probably isn't a 2.5 CS since only 874 were made.

And in my opinion the most beautiful BMW must be between the 328 Roadster and 507.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    And in my opinion the most beautiful BMW must be between the 328 Roadster and 507.
    Although the perception of beauty can vary not only with time but also with the mood a person is in, I do
    feel like you're on to something here.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    Although the perception of beauty can vary not only with time but also with the mood a person is in, I do
    feel like you're on to something here.
    I always quote this model to indicate how wrong modern designers have gone with the height of waistline in comparison to the size of the glass house. (and yes, I am going to be flamed again by the safety addicts who will talk about lateral impact...)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

does his licenseplate say "Happy 1"

than it must be a 2.5 CS
    Driver for the Team Ultimatecarpage.competition GTR Evolution racing team.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I always quote this model to indicate how wrong modern designers have gone with the height of waistline in comparison to the size of the glass house. (and yes, I am going to be flamed again by the safety addicts who will talk about lateral impact...)
    I have to agree with you there henk. The worst of the current absurdities has to be the Hummer H2, including those tiny side windows that look like a 'pillbox' gunslit from the shores of Normandy circa WW2

When seated in most of the modern cars I've driven, everything ahead of the dashboard is invisible and you can't even see the bonnet, let alone sight where the front of the car ends. It's a major disappointment, compared to the older, more rationally designed & user-friendly cars. Likewise the view out the back of these gloopily-styled late-models is nothing more than a joke, and in between are those thick blocky pillars and absurdly high belt-line to further obscure your view of the oncoming world

I know steel costs less than glass does, but it's gone way too far

With my M-B W126, at least all four extremities are easy to see, mercifully without having to crane your neck or prop your arse off the seat. I used to love the wonderful field of view given from my W108, in particular its expansive non-raked windshield with the slight wrap-around, and that exceptionally deep rear window which allows you to see exactly where the bodywork ends, to within an inch or so

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    I used to love the wonderful field of view given from my W108, in particular its expansive non-raked windshield with the slight wrap-around, and that exceptionally deep rear window which allows you to see exactly where the bodywork ends, to within an inch or so

for those not in the know, here is a W108 and a rather special one too..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I saw a 300 SEL 6.3 for about 28k €. Made me want to buy one...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    I saw a 300 SEL 6.3 for about 28k €. Made me want to buy one...

when W bought the MR2 in early 2005, the shop also had a mint 3.5 SEL, for just under 10k.....

for those not in the know, here is a W108 and a rather special one too..
    In this excellent pic of yours you can clearly see the tiny raised 'fins' atop the trailing edges of the W108's rear guards, conveniently placed to allow the driver to precisely see right to the end of the aft bodywork, merely through the rear-view mirror, without even having to turn your head - very convenient!

It's a very pretty view along the contours of those curvy and character-filled W108 bonnets too, which are seemingly draped upon the engine

I think the stylist who penned the timeless W113 Pagoda also did the W108, and was later brought back to transform those tank-like W116s into the rather more deft W126

FWIW here's my fleet of Panzer wagens (before I culled the herd) pictured last year at the farm
    Last edited by nota; 12-29-2006 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    In this excellent pic of yours you can clearly see the tiny raised 'fins' atop the trailing edges of the W108's rear guards, conveniently placed to allow the driver to precisely see right to the end of the aft bodywork, merely through the rear-view mirror, without even having to turn your head - very convenient!
    Nice fleet, yes the successor was a bit strange.
    I'll put up more pics of both in the oddball corner soon, the 6.3 and the 6.9 as well...

From left to right my fleet cost $3k for the 380SE, a mere $1500 for the tidy 'mexican' 280S (Manual aka Manuel, get it?) and $2k got the 280SE. With a bit of forethought you can buy decent-condition oldies like these for not much these days

A few oldtimers for your perusal - he's not cheap eh! - from my local aftermarket parts source (its a reasonably expansive website)

http://www.mbspares.com.au/default.asp?d=17854

Nice fleet, yes the successor was a bit strange.
    I'll put up more pics of both in the oddball corner soon, the 6.3 and the 6.9 as well...
    For thanks here's some oddball Mercs

#1: This 600 Grosser (W100) from Sydney has the later 6.9 litre V8 which features twin-turbos, reputedly 600 hp

#2: It's the W107 SL fitted with a four-rotor wankel

What about a 300 SEL 6.9 AMG?
    Visca Catalunya!

My uncle bought a 300hp Mercedes 5.6 SEC.

but he and his brother took it apart and made a Trike out of it
    Last edited by Peroen; 12-29-2006 at 05:04 PM.
    Driver for the Team Ultimatecarpage.competition GTR Evolution racing team.

Thread Information