Page 43 of 168 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: "What's this car?" Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I reckon the badge in front doesn't help.
    it is not really renault...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    it is not really renault...
    Apparently it's a "Renault Regie Nationale" badge.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Merkur Xr4ti perhaps? If not, I think we'll need some pictures or a description.
    Yes, that would be it. What nationality is that car company from anyway? How come it's not big anymore? A little background information about it would be nice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA) View Post
    I can't help with the first one, but as to the Invicta, have you looked here: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1491
    Thanks. The Search button.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yes, that would be it. What nationality is that car company from anyway? How come it's not big anymore? A little background information about it would be nice. Thanks.
    It's a Ford Sierra XR4Ti for americans, where they were called Merkur XR4Ti. Basically it's an american car imported by americans... if that makes any sense...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's a Ford Sierra XR4Ti for americans, where they were called Merkur XR4Ti. Basically it's an american car imported by americans... if that makes any sense...
    How stupid. I guess this situation would be similar to Mazda and its attempt to create a luxury division and failing miserably because they made multiple brands with the same models in each one. Thanks by the way.

European Ford's 3-door Sierra XR4i and 5-door Scorpio models that were sold in USA and Canada by Lincoln/Mercury dealers 1985-1989 (Scorpio only 1988-89). The XR4Ti was assembled at Karmann's in Germany, with bodies from Genk (Belgium) and engines from Taubate (Brazil). Scorpios were made in Koeln.
    The original equipment on the XR4Ti included the Garrett T3 turbocharger, T9 manual transmission, front wheel disc and rear wheel drum brakes, durable cloth seats and interior panels, and 14 inch x 5.5 inch alloy wheels. Starting in 1986, the wheels were updated to 15 inch x 5.5 inch wheels. Optional items included automatic transmission, cruise control, leather interior, and heated seats.
    Most Scorpios shipped to the states were faily well optioned out with leather interior, automatic transmissions, cruise control, and etc. A very small number of Scorpios brought into the states had cloth interior and even fewer with manual 5-speed transmissions.
    Despite being highly successful in Europe, neither car was particularly successful in America. Merkurs were finally dropped beacuse of the requirement to add either a passive restraint system or air bags for US models, since these were not requirements for European models. The XR4Ti was dropped first and the Scorpio a few months later in 1989. Of course lower-than-expected sales were also a major factor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Thank you. Then it must be a really rare car. I should take pics of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Merkur Xr4ti perhaps?
    Pando - If you're still reading this thread, it's your turn for posting a new topic photo...

Meanwhile, I'll go ahead and give the thread a preview of my next posting when it becomes my turn (and yes - it came from an automotive factory)
    Honi soit qui mal y pense

Well it's not a car even with the famous badge on it and not from a car factory -- it was built initially in a furniture factory )
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-27-2007 at 04:50 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Well it's not a car even with the famous badge on it and not from a car factory -- it was built initially in a furniture factory )
    You're absolutely right! (I'd forgotten about the furniture factory aspect).
    It did have a famous car's engine design in it (albeit of a lighter weight casting material), and is known by that manufacturer's name.

I was curious to know if anyone else would recognize it - especially from such an unusual and minimalist view of it. Thanks for not giving the answer away too quickly - so others might have a chance to ponder it. I feel that anyone wanting to be an automotive history buff should know about this vehicle - even though it is seldom mentioned in books on the marque.
    Last edited by Motorace; 02-27-2007 at 08:23 PM.
    Honi soit qui mal y pense

Thank you. Then it must be a really rare car. I should take pics of it.
    42,464 cars were sold. Not that rare, but still not your everyday sighting.
    In addition 21,886 Scorpios were also sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorace View Post
    Pando - If you're still reading this thread, it's your turn for posting a new topic photo...
    This thread is not a contest. You post here when you have a car that need s to be identified. It doesn't matter who knew the answer to the previous one. You also shouldn't post cars or aircrafts, or whatever, that you actually know and just want to baffle us. It's not the point.
    Actually, you probably shouldn't post aircrafts and other stuff at all. It's the "What's this CAR" thread after all.

Oh, and it's Bugatti Model 100 Racer.
    Last edited by go.pawel; 02-28-2007 at 01:44 AM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

What cars are these?, all i know is that the blue one is a pontiac (size 303x233), the yellow is russian (400x237) and some datsun (1365x795)
    Last edited by juanelo242; 03-01-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Got 2 both toys!!!

FERRARI what?

????? ?????

Look like they're modified, but the first looks like a Ferrari 308 Variant.. the second maybe something 330 derived.

I'm not the guy you'd ask about classic Italian cars though.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorace View Post
    You're absolutely right! (I'd forgotten about the furniture factory aspect).
    It did have a famous car's engine design in it (albeit of a lighter weight casting material), and is known by that manufacturer's name.

I was curious to know if anyone else would recognize it - especially from such an unusual and minimalist view of it. Thanks for not giving the answer away too quickly - so others might have a chance to ponder it. I feel that anyone wanting to be an automotive history buff should know about this vehicle - even though it is seldom mentioned in books on the marque.
    So does it actually fly or is it just posing as a plane?

On another note, thanks for the info, Go.Pawel.

Thread Information