Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi R10 TDI versus Harrier “Jump Jet”

Audi R10 TDI versus Harrier “Jump Jet”

Audi R10 TDI versus Harrier “Jump Jet”

Audi's history-making diesel-powered R10 TDI sports-prototype, which won the Le Mans 24 Hours last month, came close to beating a Harrier GR7 "Jump Jet" multi-role combat aircraft in a race at RAF Wittering in England yesterday (6 July).

The actual Le Mans race winning Audi R10 TDI with Scotsman Allan McNish at the wheel, sped down a taxi-way racing a Harrier aircraft on an adjacent runway from a standing start in a one-kilometre race.
    (c) Audi Motorsport

The contest, staged at the annual Family & Friends Day at the RAF base near Peterborough in front of a 5,000 crowd, ended in a close victory for the Harrier - by one-tenth of a second.

The Audi, the first diesel-engined sportscar to win the famous Le Mans race, was quicker off the line - despite the R10 TDI being designed to start races from a “rolling” as opposed a “standing” start and faster to 150mph than the aircraft.

But the Harrier, piloted by Flight Lieutenant Pete Keenlyside, the 2006 Harrier display pilot, ultimately just beat the Audi to the 1km by literally a “nose” before the jet took off in a spectacular vertical climb.

“I had a practice run against the Harrier moments before the race ‘proper’ and I came very close to beating it - it was a very close run contest, confirmed Dumfries-born McNish.

“It was essentially a ‘fun’ race but when a racing driver and a pilot get together it quickly becomes serious. For our diesel-powered Audi, which we didn’t modify or prepare specifically for this event in any way, to come so close to beating a Harrier jet-fighter I believe was a tremendous achievement once again for TDI power.”

Frank Biela/Emanuele Pirro/Marco Werner scored Audi's sixth Le Mans 24 Hour race win last month (17-18 Jun) - the first with the turbo diesel-powered R10 TDI making its début in the annual French race. Allan McNish/Dindo Capello/Tom Kristensen finished third in their Audi R10 TDI. McNish demonstrates the Audi R10 TDI and a 1936 Auto Union C-Type at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in West Sussex this weekend (7-9 Jul).
    From www.planetlemans.com

impressive stuff!!
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Lol loads of torque!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Lol loads of torque!
    Turn ya drive shaft to paste dagnammit.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

They're quite smokey those R10s...

Damned impressive though.
    Thanks for all the fish

Usually in these sort of races, the car is allways faster in the first few 100 meters. But the R10 was still in it after 1km... allthough the jest must have been passing it at some speed, it still took a whole kilometer to do it.
    GO HABS GO!

any car that keeps up with a Jet in general is very impressive damn Audi is kickin ass winnin Lemans and keepin up wit a harrier
    Last edited by Birdman002; 07-08-2006 at 11:31 AM.

so that would mean a mclaren-mercedes mp4/20 should be able to beat the jet
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    They're quite smokey those R10s...

Damned impressive though.
    Well it IS an Audi diesel.. They all smoke like chimneys.

Quote Originally Posted by carsnut
    so that would mean a mclaren-mercedes mp4/20 should be able to beat the jet
    well I think it does I don't really remember if schumacher beated the jet he raced against in the ferrari F1 car
    ________
    Wellbutrin lawsuit
    Last edited by hec16; 08-20-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hec16
    well I think it does I don't really remember if schumacher beated the jet he raced against in the ferrari F1 car
    I remebe that race, and it seems to me that the jet overtakes the car rather quickly, surely not a kilometer if i recall correctly... which is quite odd since a F1 car SHOULD be quicker than the R10... Maybe the pilot was distracted looking at the R10
    GO HABS GO!

This is history in the making here and nobody filmed it to post up on the web. What the ****? I don't want to read about it. I want to see it.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Well it IS an Audi diesel.. They all smoke like chimneys.
    Eyewitnesses confirm that the Audi only smoked when starting. The rest of the time the particulate filter took care of the exhaust fumes.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Eyewitnesses confirm that the Audi only smoked when starting. The rest of the time the particulate filter took care of the exhaust fumes.
    Even so it sucks to be racing behind that diesel because I drove behind modern diesels and the smoke will smother you.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    Even so it sucks to be racing behind that diesel because I drove behind modern diesels and the smoke will smother you.
    not all modern diesels have a filter. In particular the German industry was very late in adopting this technology, that was already introduced by Peugeot/Citroen in 2000. I would invite you to take ride behind my 2002 Citroen
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    So you drove in the Sebring 12 Hours or the 24 Hours of Le Mans?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information