Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    If you've seen the Top Gear on the Koeniggsegg CCX, it makes something like 806hp on petrol, and 950(ish)HP on alternative (I think ethanol or something)!!! Why can't other companies do that?
    You have to be careful with it, and what it's used in. I put a 95RON PULP in my old 323 that has up to 10% ethanol, it rooted the carb and I had to get it rebuilt. Cars need to be tuned to use it and need the fuel system changed (change metal parts and galavanise them differently IIRC) as it can be highly corrosive. Still, its very good. The 95RON Ethanol PULP in my Lancer gives me a bit better mileage. Brazil's fuel has a massive ethanol content and has for a while now.

I believe it'll become more widespread as more cars need higher RON fuel (I belive FSI requires 98RON, but I might be wrong) and fuel prices go up.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

And about the SUV's, I think perhaps the people who hate them should drive behind an 18-Wheeler. There are soooo many, and every time they shift/brake/accelerate whatever it is they do, you can SEE the sludge go into the air. I'd say those are posing a bigger problem than supercars/SUV's. Just my $0.02
    18 wheelers exist because people need to transport lots of goods about.

Fair enough, trains go from town to town, but not to every store, warehouse or depot that sees tonnes of cargo going through everyday, neither do planes or boats.

Heavy goods vehicles are providing a neccessary and vital service.

On the other hand, SUVs are not a neccessity for most people that own one, they might be useful, but I'm sure most owners, if forced, could survive with a regular car-based vehicle. There are pleanty of good alternatives to SUVs, people just choose not to use them because of image, or the perception that SUVs offer more interior space, etc.,.

People don't use HGVs out of preferance over some other type of transport, they are, at present, the only thing available to perform the role they fill.
    Thanks for all the fish

The part that makes me roll my eyes about all of this 'conclusive data' by the 'best minds on the subject' is an article I remember reading a very long time ago, and maybe some of the old farts like me will remember this one as well.

The article was written by some of the top climatologist, ecologists of the time and was based on the best and most accurate scientific data available... Can anyone guess what their conclusion was ?????

That pollution and particulate matter that was being pumped into the atmosphere would cause a new ice age due to the blocking of the suns rays.

Now excuse me for being a bit skeptical about the talk of global warming by all the top people in the field, because I am still not done panicking about the coming Ice Age that they promised was right around the corner if we didnt cease polluting...

It is not that I think they are all lying (Although I think some are exaggerating a lot), it is just that I have learned to look with a somewhat jaded eye at all the doom and gloomers when they start yelling that the sky is falling...

After the 90th time you hear that the world is coming to an end, it just starts sounding like buzzes and clicks that you learn to tune out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    You have to be careful with it, and what it's used in. I put a 95RON PULP in my old 323 that has up to 10% ethanol, it rooted the carb and I had to get it rebuilt. . The 95RON Ethanol PULP in my Lancer gives me a bit better mileage. I believe it'll become more widespread as more cars need higher RON fuel (I belive FSI requires 98RON, but I might be wrong) and fuel prices go up.
    I have almost NO idea what any of that means.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Global Warming, what do you think about it?
    I couldn't care less.

We can't really do anything until George Bush changes his ways anyway.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    I couldn't care less.

We can't really do anything until George Bush changes his ways anyway.
    Oh really? explain, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    The part that makes me roll my eyes about all of this 'conclusive data' by the 'best minds on the subject' is an article I remember reading a very long time ago, and maybe some of the old farts like me will remember this one as well.

The article was written by some of the top climatologist, ecologists of the time and was based on the best and most accurate scientific data available... Can anyone guess what their conclusion was ?????

That pollution and particulate matter that was being pumped into the atmosphere would cause a new ice age due to the blocking of the suns rays.

Now excuse me for being a bit skeptical about the talk of global warming by all the top people in the field, because I am still not done panicking about the coming Ice Age that they promised was right around the corner if we didnt cease polluting...

It is not that I think they are all lying (Although I think some are exaggerating a lot), it is just that I have learned to look with a somewhat jaded eye at all the doom and gloomers when they start yelling that the sky is falling...

After the 90th time you hear that the world is coming to an end, it just starts sounding like buzzes and clicks that you learn to tune out.
    You are right about the fact that this predictions are exaggerated but:
    the climate shift due to global warming is a real threat. It's not because the temperatrure will drop to -60C within a month (like in The Day After Tommorow). You have to remember that unlike people who have learned to adjust to various climates (from Syberia to Sahara), animals and plants live in a very specific range of weather conditions like humidity and temperature. If an average temperature rises 1C per year for example for us, humans, that's nothing, for some plants and animals it can be deadly. When I say deadly, I don't mean that they will suddenly drop dead with their legs up. It means that they will reproduce less efficiently, more of their young will die etc. and so their population will in time vanish from the territory. That's the real threat of global warming
    Write five of your favourite cars in your signature.
    1. Ascari KZ1 2. Maybach Exelero 3. Pininfarina Birdcage
    4. Aston Martin DB9 5. BMW M6
    My ride: '97 Kia Sportage

Quote Originally Posted by emperor
    You are right about the fact that this predictions are exaggerated but:
    the climate shift due to global warming is a real threat. It's not because the temperatrure will drop to -60C within a month (like in The Day After Tommorow). You have to remember that unlike people who have learned to adjust to various climates (from Syberia to Sahara), animals and plants live in a very specific range of weather conditions like humidity and temperature. If an average temperature rises 1C per year for example for us, humans, that's nothing, for some plants and animals it can be deadly. When I say deadly, I don't mean that they will suddenly drop dead with their legs up. It means that they will reproduce less efficiently, more of their young will die etc. and so their population will in time vanish from the territory. That's the real threat of global warming
    On the other hand plants, animals and things that prefer the change will excel...it's all balanced in the end.

On the other hand plants, animals and things that prefer the change will excel...it's all balanced in the end.
    True, but:
    The changes on the earth (and the fact that living things adjust to it) are a good thing, that's called evolution, and that is what you are refering to right?
    The problem is that changes caused by human activity are way too rapid. Earth was evolving step by step until humans showed up. We have too big impact on the earth and some of the living things (well most of them really) can't keep up with these changes. I'd say that the environment is way off balance right now and it keeps getting worse
    Don't get me wrong: I'm far from being a tree-hugger, or an eco-freak and I think that Greenpeace and various affiliated organisations pose a bigger threat to the earth than all Hummers, Escalades, and other gas-guzzlers put together.
    I'm not a fighter for the sake of humanity, I just wanted to share my opinion

True, but:
    The changes on the earth (and the fact that living things adjust to it) are a good thing, that's called evolution, and that is what you are refering to right?
    The problem is that changes caused by human activity are way too rapid. Earth was evolving step by step until humans showed up. We have too big impact on the earth and some of the living things (well most of them really) can't keep up with these changes. I'd say that the environment is way off balance right now and it keeps getting worse
    Don't get me wrong: I'm far from being a tree-hugger, or an eco-freak and I think that Greenpeace and various affiliated organisations pose a bigger threat to the earth than all Hummers, Escalades, and other gas-guzzlers put together.
    I'm not a fighter for the sake of humanity, I just wanted to share my opinion
    I still don't get it when humans are separated from nature as you are implying, we are part of nature and designed to live here too...and anything we do is part of our evolution. I hate the argument that you elude to.

I still don't get it when humans are separated from nature as you are implying, we are part of nature and designed to live here too...and anything we do is part of our evolution. I hate the argument that you elude to.
    You misuderstood me here. I'm not saying we are separated. We are a part of nature, I'm just saying that we are a little too big part of this nature and that our impact on it is too heavy. If we were separated from the nature, we would have no effect on it and there would be no problem.

You misuderstood me here. I'm not saying we are separated. We are a part of nature, I'm just saying that we are a little too big part of this nature and that our impact on it is too heavy. If we were separated from the nature, we would have no effect on it and there would be no problem.
    Yeah, I'm with you, I think all humans should be removed from earth so it can live happily along like it did before.

Yeah, I'm with you, I think all humans should be removed from earth so it can live happily along like it did before.
    You can say that again, before we are removed from the face of the earth.
    You have about 10 minutes to do so....
    Now where was I? Ah, yes.... Access code... accepted... 3,2,1...
    *presses the RED BUTTON*

There are a lot of things which are going to kill us long before global warming does.

im curious to hear some of your ideas on that one dino.

what are some of the other things?
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thread Information