Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: montoya to nascar???

montoya to nascar???

ok, so there's a news conference on SPEED right now... JPM is going to Nascar in 2007. will be racing for Chip Ganassi Racing. He's going to go straight to Cup too I believe.

Apparently he was tired of always losing in F1, so now he needs to go somewhere sle to lose.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

"Anyone who watches the racing knows it's not the most exciting thing you can watch." -JPM on Formula 1

[O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Speed TV
    Chip Ganassi and Juan Montoya will be reunited in 2007 but it won't be in open wheel racing.

In one of the most shocking career changes in recent memory, Montoya is leaving Formula 1 to drive for Ganassi in NASCAR's Nextel Cup series.

SPEEDtv.com has learned that Montoya will be named to drive the No. 41 car in a press conference this morning at Chicago.

Despite seven wins during the past six years, the 30-year-old Colombian found himself in F1 limbo because his contract with McLaren is not being renewed and no other good F1 seats were open.

The 1999 CART champion and 2000 Indy 500 winner has only driven a stock car one time and that was during an exhibition at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with Jeff Gordon when they swapped cars.

"We'll run him in Busch and Nextel Cup next year to try and get him as much experience as quickly as possible," said Ganassi on Sunday morning. "We'll also try to work in some selected Busch events near the end of this season."

It's believed Frank Williams had offered his old driver a seat for '07 but that Montoya opted to turn it down.

By hiring Montoya, who has a residence in Miami, Ganassi fulfills NASCAR's diversity program for Hispanic-speaking people and greatly enhances the chances of a Cup event in Mexico City.
    first news ive seen... press conference is still on
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Crazy stuff! Might be interesting to see how he does though!
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

Now, THAT is a bold move... and this is really SILLY season.

I hope he can set his schedule so he can go try Le Mans next year and complete the triple crown.
    Last edited by magracer; 07-09-2006 at 09:43 AM.
    Zag when they Zig

He won't last a year. He's too much of a prima donna for NASCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77
    He'll do just fine. Especially with the new wing setup.
    "That's the first time I've been unhappy to have a bird on my face."

-Jenson Button after having a bird hit him during a preseason practice

I don't really like Montoya so I am pretty happy to see him go, but to NASCAR, thats weird!

It makes me think though, during the USGP broadcast on Speed, they were talking to Jeff Gordon and he said he would love to go to F1, and he did trade paint with JPM a couple years back....but there is still no chance of Gordon coming over, is there? Not that I want it, but it'd be weird if JPM and Gordon switched.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77
    it just means jeff gordon will have met his match.
    You can call me scott.

I think its a hugh step in the right direction for nascar and Juan both. Nascar is lacking a driver of a different race before this. Does this mean that F1 is no longer the best racing series in the world maybe so.
    Last edited by rev440; 07-09-2006 at 02:07 PM.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    I think its a hugh step in the right direction for nascar and Juan both. Nascar is lacking a driver of a different race before this. Does this mean that F1 is no longer the best racing series in the world maybe so.
    I don't think that it makes Nascar better than F1 if a driver who isn't good enough for F1 at the moment moves to Nascar...

But for JPM it might be the final decision. As far as I've understood, it's not very easy to move from Nascar to the international series raced on twistier circuits(?).

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark
    I don't think that it makes Nascar better than F1 if a driver who isn't good enough for F1 at the moment moves to Nascar...

But for JPM it might be the final decision. As far as I've understood, it's not very easy to move from Nascar to the international series raced on twistier circuits(?).
    I think hes plenty of a driver its just hes seeking a more competive racing series. I dont think it would be that hard for him to switch to any race series hes proved himself as a good driver in F1, Champ, IRL, and soon Nascar.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

He also could go back to Indy cars. JPM always seems to go wherever the money is at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    I think hes plenty of a driver its just hes seeking a more competive racing series..
    JPM and his manager have been desperately trying for months to find him a seat in F1, he reportedly offered to drive for free for Red Bull. The fact is nobody wants to take a gamble on him when there are so many other quality drivers around in F1 at the moment. NASCAR is clearly his back-up option once he realised there was nowhere left to turn in F1.

Does this mean that F1 is no longer the best racing series in the world maybe so.
    Why do you try and turn every thread in the Racing Forums into a "NASCAR's better than F1" thread. It's a dead-end debate that we've been through many times. There is no "best"/"greatest" series, it's a matter of personal preference, end of.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    ...he reportedly offered to drive for free for Red Bull.
    That is news for me, besides I did read (today) that reportedly Frank Williams did offer him a drive. I was just guessing that not being able to secure a seat in a competitive seat he rather go elsewhere where he has a shot at being champ. I only wish it had been WTCC, but I guess there is more money in NASCAR.
    Zag when they Zig

Thread Information