Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2007

F1 2007

Theres been alot of developments the last few days that have shaped next years season for F1.

According to Autosport, JPM will be entering NASCAR with his former CART team, abandoning any chance of furthering his F1 career and perhaps strengthening Lewis Hamilton's shot for the spare McLaren seat.

At the US GP, Jarno Trulli was rumoured to be on the verge of a new long term deal with Toyota. Whilst Toyota seem happy to put Gascoyne as the sacrificial lamb for their teams troubles, at least theyre aiming for continuity with ther drivers. RS remains on a long term contract with Toyota.

DC looks set for at least 1 more year at RBR. Whilst nothing is confirmed, Christian Horner has repeatedly stated his support for DC, and his desire for Klien to up his game. Ultimately the driver with the most points in the coming months will be retained, with the other seat possibly going to STR stablemate Liuzzi, or another driver. Massa and Kovalainen could play strongly depending on how RB manage their engines as well.

The tug of war for Raikkonens services continues. Just as it seemed certain he would be going to Ferrari, rumours persist he will be joining Fisichella at Renault. Whilst it seemed Fisichella's resigning happened mid year, it is now assumed Briattore put pen to paper as soom as Alonso's McLaren deal emerged. The sticking issue seems to be whether MS continues to race for 1 or 2 years. Recent speculation had him continuing for at least 1 year, which didnt seem to play favourably with Raikkonens move to Ferrari, despite constantly saying his team mate wouldnt bother him. In any case, it doesnt look like he'll be staying with McLaren.

Webber could also be set for a change of scenery. Whilst SFW's option on his services for '07 continue to run out, links to Renault continue to emerge although more is being said of SFW opting for another driver, than Briattore placing Webber in Renault, perhaps a sign of where Raikkonens negotiations are leading. Whilst many people assumed Rosberg had been signed to a multi year Williams deal, its been revealed its only a single year deal for now, but SFW is believed to be highly impressed with the younng rookie and will sign him for a new deal. If Webber leaves, the seat could go to Wurz. Whilst it seemed JPM had been offered the seat by SFW, Wurz is believed to have signed for Williams last year from McLaren with a future race seat in mind.

Heidfeld is secure at BMW, but some movement could arise over the second seat. Villeneuve's contract is up at the end of the year, and whilst he has displayed some inspired driving so far this year, some competition could come from young stablemate Robert Kubica, whom BMW rate extremely high.

Both Honda and Barrichello are secure at Honda, although 3rd driver Davison could be farmed out to Super Aguri. Whilst his driving skills are highly rated within the team, his race opportunities have been scarce, and Honda have even prevented his progress at times to retain his services. Sato looks set to retain his SA seat.

Midland F1 amongst its ongoing negotiations with potential buyers have expressed an interest in retaining Albers. It is unknown whether Monteiro will be retained.

Toro Rosso is keen on continuity, and is set to keep Speed to continue his development. Despite interest from the A team, Gerhard Berger has stated his intentions to keep Liuzzi as well.

The drivers market isnt the only thing to change.

Already Suzuka has lost the Japanese GP to the rejuvenated Fuji circuit. Some hope remains that Suzuka will return however, perhaps under the Pacific GP guise.

Whilst Spa was left out of this years calender, it looks set to return next year.

The Second GP's in Germany and Italy are under threat. Whilst Imola will be upgraded for next years race, a more immediate threat lies for either Hockenheim or Nurburgring. Either could be dropped in favour for the returning Spa, or the retained Suzuka, as the teams dont want to return to the hectic 19 race schedule. Rival GP's from Mexico, Russia and other countries are emerging as well. A solution could be found with a yearly rotation between tracks for the GP.

The race format itself looks likely to be changed as well. Whilst nothing is confirmed, it is believed teams are in favour of compressing the current schedule over the Saturday-Sunday, whilst allowing Friday as an open test day, increasing exposure to the fans. A compromise would be met with a drastic decrease of in-season testing, in the hope of drastically reducing costs in that area.

Bridgestone will be left without a competitor with Michelins withdrawel as well. Whilst the control tyre rules wont take effect until '08, it is believed Bridgestone will be asked to supply 2 specifications of tyre to the whole grid, as opposed to 2 specifications to each team. It is hoped this will prevent any preferential treatment or advantage gained in that area.

So what are peoples thoughts?
    I am the Stig

Talking about 2007 when we're still slap bang in the middle of '06?! Silly season gets earlier and earlier year by year!

In terms of the big teams it is obviously Schumacher's decision to retire or not that will be the biggest factor in where the likes of Raikkonen end up. He seems to be taking forever to make his decision, keeping on putting back his supposed 'deadlines'. I think that Schumi will try to go out as Champion if at all possible. At the moment he is lagging behind Alonso, but if Ferrari carry on their recent progress and Schumi can actually fight back and win the title from here then it will undoubtedly be Schumacher's (or possibly anyone elses for that matter) greatest ever achievement and he will probably retire in a shower of glory. If not there will be that ever present urge to continue until he regains his crown, so his decision might yet be a while in coming.

Now if it's true that Kimi has agreed in principle that he will drive Ferrari IF he is guaranteed the #1 seat (ie not teamed with Schumacher) then it seems almost certain that he'll swap seats with Fernando. That will mean that young Kovaleinen will be without a race seat for a second season in a row, so I think it's likely Renault will try their hardest to get him into a race seat at somewhere like Midland/Torro Rosso and blood him for when/if Kimi eventually moves to Ferrari.

Personally I really hope that Jacques Villeneuve keeps his seat at BMW. Lord knows we've waited long enough but he's finally showing the form of a true former champion. It'd be a shame to see him go just as it all finally seems to be coming together for him, and to be honest I think BMW would be daft to let a man of such experience and talent go. Especially as he is teamed with a guy who is for me the most underwhelming performer of the season so far - Nick Heidfeld. He had a great season at Williams last year, but he has not come near to recreating that form so far. He's lucky he signed a long term deal to basically become BMW's German poster boy for the next few seasons, otherwise I think he'd be the guy they'd be looking to ditch, not JV.

At Red Bull they've come out publicly and said that they will only be retaining the services of one of their drivers next season for some bizarre reason. On current form that will have to be DC, leaving Klien out on his ear. Presumably that will be so that Liuzzi can come in to replace him, but that would be harsh as Klien has shown good potential these last couple of seasons and has been desperately unlucky with unreliability so far this season. Liuzzi for me has always flattered to deceive and is too accident prone for my liking. I'd like to see Klien given another year.

As for the changes to the calendar, I definitely think it's about time they got rid of the 2 GPs a year in both Italy and Germany. At the moment it sadly looks as though Monza is the most at threat with all the legal wranglings from the local government about noise pollution. I'd rather see Imola dropped as a) it's not even in San Marino and b) it produces dull, processional races. I've never seen what the whole "European GP" at the Nurburgring thing is about. I'd rather they left that as a sort of floating event where they could alternate each year between some of the less well loved GPs around Europe ('Ring, Hungaroring, Imola etc). It'll be a shame to see Suzuka go if indeed that is what happens. But from what I know of the Fuji track it has the potenial for some good racing I think, so it might not be the end of world.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I think Montoya set it all off signing for McLaren before the '04 season had even started

With so many young talents about to break in though, guys like Coulthard, Villeneuve and even MS are under threat. If they show even the slightest signs of getting slower, they'll be turfed out.
    I am the Stig

As for RBR either DC or CK goes out depending on performances. Biggest candidates for the seats are Robert Doornbos and/or Liuzzi. RD has a slight privilege since he knows horner from F3000 well and performs more than excellent in practice's.

I dont really see Dornbos playing heavily. He might get Liuzzi's STR seat if he graduates to the A team however
    I am the Stig

Webber movements

RPM has just finished here on TV, Ch 10 (god love em), and according to Peter Windsor, Red Bull are extremely keen to get there hands on Mr Webber's services for next year, which may be a good thing, being that they may have the Renault engine, and an Adrian Newey chassis... When does SFW's option on Webber have to be taken up by? I heard end of July, am I wrong?
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Schuey and his hot Schue Shuffle (not)

Another very strong rumour revealed by Mr Windsor is that Schumacher has reportedly signed for 2 years at Ferrari, and his team mate WILL be Massa. Looks like Kimi to Renault now, or possibly a swap of drivers between team Macca and team Reggie, taking their respective drivers from this year back for next year.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Threads merged.

I have trouble acknowledging Peter Windsor sometimes. I think it was Planet-F1.com that said MS was extremely lucky at the Monaco qualy press conference as it was Peter Windsor asking him the questions, and he apparently kisses the ground MS walks on. Some of the stuff he writes for ITV.com can seem pretty biased at other times as well.
    I am the Stig

Thanks FPV, i wanted to keep those seperate, hense the two seprate threads, but out would ya. Its not your right to do that, just to kick your thread along, long after it stalled. Good work.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Get over it, and drop the attitude whilst youre at it.

Its alot easier for others to navigate this way.
    I am the Stig

No its not, just fills ur thread out, I want them seperate, you dont have the rite to move em. you get over it
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    No its not, just fills ur thread out, I want them seperate, you dont have the rite to move em. you get over it
    Stop acting like a child. He is a moderator and he HAS the right to merge any threads he wants to.

You on the other hand do not have the right to give any orders to anyone. He decided the threads were better of merged and you have to respect that.

You can disagree, and share that disagreement with the others (wich you have), and if your right some other mod will step in.

As far as the subject goes... I think there has been to much emphasis on the seaosons to come, the rules to come, the driver lineups to come and not enough of the current season! This season is turning out to to be very tight and promises a lot of drama in the end. Evrything else is just politics...
    Last edited by ZeTurbo; 08-01-2006 at 04:17 PM.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Fair enuff. I noticed Jacque got the arse today...
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    Fair enuff. I noticed Jacque got the arse today...
    Huh? He will be replaced for one race, because he has not fully recovered from his off at Hockenheim.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Ive read that he might not be seen for the rest of the season, that kubica will more than likely take the seat. Has more to do with problems at HQ than the crash. Maybe he, as I have, have ruffled too many feathers.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Thread Information