Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My BMW 318i, Or 'Claudia', as she is known.

If i had the money's to spend on something like a 633 I'd be all over it. however we're looking at $5,000, Tops.

For that my friend has an E34 535i he's willing to trade Claudia for (he wants an E30 shell to use for a racing project). the only problem is i have no idea what condition this car is in. It's all just thoughts at the moment and for a while I might just enjoy claudias company
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Bonnevilles are sold in Rocket Hyper Drive?
    Yep. they're a special edition only sold in Eastern Neustria. Often with a Stuffed Koala and 15 Pounds of butter under the seat.

In case you hadn't noticed i'm yanking your chain.

I'm thinking you may be better off going w/ a used Aussie or American-like car. When cars get old, the amount of fixing you do rises exponentially. With an Aussie car, you can probably fix the thing w/ a hammer, for cheap.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    I'm thinking you may be better off going w/ a used Aussie or American-like car. When cars get old, the amount of fixing you do rises exponentially. With an Aussie car, you can probably fix the thing w/ a hammer, for cheap.
    a sledge hammer. wielded by a 12 year old.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I was thinking that - but i have champagne taste on a Beer budget. Which is most annoying.

I'm thinking of just getting claudia a New Engine and working from there......2.5 Inline 6 Anyone?

EDIT; just WHERE am i going to find a 12 year old....Clutch?

I'd guess that new engine and interior and paint by themselves would stretch your $5k limit. Conversely if add that to what you might sell your 318 for (maybe $2,500 - $3k?) you'd be almost at 635 level anyway

(I'm not recommending you buy this allhomes thing, just using it as an example of the folly of throwing an additional $5k at a $3k car)

I'd seriously be lucky to get $2k for claudia - the engine is pretty stuffed - one of the camshaft lobes has worn pretty badly, making it sound like a sewing machine.

I am thinking why should I throw good money after bad with Claudia, but then I think i get the car i want out of the deal, which can't be a bad thing.

What are your thoughts on the E34?

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    EDIT; just WHERE am i going to find a 12 year old....Clutch?
    i have a few in my other pair of pants.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I'd seriously be lucky to get $2k for claudia - the engine is pretty stuffed - one of the camshaft lobes has worn pretty badly, making it sound like a sewing machine.
    Before sale you could try an oil-change to a thick-spec 'my motor is rooted' Moreys-brand oil. I've used this stuff in the past & can vouch for its effectiveness at silencing rattly motors - at Supercheap I think. That and a thorough detail might do the trick?

I am thinking why should I throw good money after bad with Claudia, but then I think i get the car i want out of the deal, which can't be a bad thing.

What are your thoughts on the E34?
    Must say I'm tempted by E34s myself - a mate has a 525 Executive and loves it, although slow. But it's proven very reliable over 5 years. Personally I'd rather an E34 (or E32) over a 3-Series. Btw I recently saw what must be one of Australia's best E34 535 manuals on allhomes, a superb low-km example, he struggled to get $9k

If you don't mind autos, did you see that EF V8 Ford Ghia bargain I posted?
    Last edited by nota; 01-16-2007 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Before sale you could try an oil-change to a thick-spec 'my motor is rooted' Moreys-brand oil. I've used this stuff in the past & can vouch for its effectiveness at silencing rattly motors - at Supercheap I think. That and a thorough detail might do the trick?

Must say I'm tempted by E34s myself - a mate has a 525 Executive and loves it, although slow. But it's proven very reliable over 5 years. Personally I'd rather an E34 (or E32) over a 3-Series. Btw I recently saw what must be one of Australia's best E34 535 manuals on allhomes, a superb low-km example, he struggled to get $9k

If you don't mind autos, did you see that EF V8 Ford Ghia bargain I posted?
    I'm open to all suggestions - it just needs to be reliable, preferably a little sporty and good value. I've set my limit at $5,000 plus whatever Claudia is worth.

an EF might not be a bad idea, but a V8 one i'd never get insurance for. Ever.

As much as i'd like to own a BMW i think it is perhaps out of my price range....Couple this to upcoming Uni <Fingers crossed - Uni offers tomorrow> and other stuff and it's likely i'm going to be poor for a long time.

She might need more than a detail - Her front and rear seats don't match although a vacuumn might not go unnoticed - i found 3 month old Chips under my seat the other day

DOUBLE EDIT; thoughts on this one? Mercedes W123 230e
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 01-16-2007 at 05:55 AM.

'm open to all suggestions
    ALL suggestions? You might regret that
    http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vc&i=1342020683

Here's that EF again .. in Dad's name, on his insurance?
    http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vc&i=518696699

Affordable fun car for a young bloke?
    http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vc&i=550289704

Mate I'm still kicking myself after missing a 280E W123 with only 130,000kms (just like new throughout!) for a mere $3,000-ish. The 230s are a bit of a slug .. but you could do worse than that Cooma car. Possibly a cheap Merc yeah, but I'm biased of course (my Merc 380SE cost a paltry $3k)
    Last edited by nota; 01-16-2007 at 06:10 AM.

Are you looking to sell

I'd hit that Panel van SOOOO hard

and the entire point of the vehicle is to be in my name and as such for me to earn the no-claims bonus and stuff for it. so my dad wouldn't be keen on me putting his no claims bonus on the line with a V8 Not that i'm a nuts driver. my mother wouldn't let me have one anyway, bless her.

Capri? three words - Kath and Kim. if that didn't wreck it's reputation nothing will.

I laughed at the EF advert - "Sold due to Second baby about to drop". Hope they pick it up

And i've yet to regret any move i've made in my life - other than telling my dad not to worry about the rattle in the Car we were about to buy

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    i love those old 6 series, been trying to find the alpina version without success
    There's no such thing as Alpina versions, but Alpina aftermarket kits, so every 635 counts .

I'd love to have a 6 series. One of my favourite all time cars.
    But it you want something cheaper and with the same kind of class, try the E34. They are way cheaper and still they're great looking inside and out.
    If it wasn't for petrol being more expensive than gold here, I'd definetly have a 535i.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Are you looking to sell
    Sorry no, and wife still regrets selling her trusty W126 280SE (bought for $2k)

Speaking of which ..http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vc&i=144617990

I'd hit that Panel van SOOOO hard
    (
    Know how you feel, if accurately described it's good value too. I fondly remember my 3 y/o XA 351 4speed van in wonderful Wild Violet (met purple) which my girlfriend used to call 'the purple passion pit'

I'm in the hunt for a car myself, usually cruise the marts every weekend

http://www.canberracarfair.com.au/pr...w.aspx?vid=542

http://www.canberracarfair.com.au/pr...w.aspx?vid=593

Inspected this 5speed manual myself, incredible condition for that mileage
    http://www.canberracarfair.com.au/pr...w.aspx?vid=820

Sporty 5speed with low kms and bonus oversteer-into-pole feature as-standard on these Commodores
    http://www.canberracarfair.com.au/pr...w.aspx?vid=647

Too may to list ..

Thread Information