Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 722 Edition (C199) 2006-2010

Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 722 Edition (C199) 2006-2010

A new special edition of the SLR

New Mercedes-Benz SLR "722 Edition": Born on the racetrack

Stuttgart, Jul 10, 2006
    The new Mercedes-Benz SLR "722 Edition" has all the attributes of a thoroughbred racing car. Refined in numerous respects, this super sports car has more output, a tailor-made suspension configuration and a decidedly sporty interior.

A continuing tradition: the new model variant SLR "722 Edition" is a homage by Mercedes-Benz to the unforgettable victory won by the British racing legend Stirling Moss and his co-driver Denis Jenkinson in a Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR with the starting number 722 (indicating a start time of 7.22 a.m.) at the Mille Miglia in 1955. With an output of 478 kW/650 hp and a corresponding performance, the new super sports car, which goes on sale on July 11, will not only make the hearts of car enthusiasts beat faster.

The supercharged 5.5-litre V8 engine in the "722 Edition", which is hand-built in the AMG engine shop in Affalterbach, generates 478 kW/650 hp. The particular strengths of this high-performance engine are immediate response to movements of the accelerator, highly emphatic torque build-up and an unmistakable V8 sound. The performance figures are outstanding even for a high-end sports car: the "722 Edition" accelerates from standstill to 100 km/h in only 3.6 seconds, and 200 km/h is reached in just 10.2 seconds. The maximum speed (337 km/h) is above the 334 km/h previously achieved by the SLR.

Handling characteristics worthy of the racetrack are also provided by the sophisticated suspension, with 19-inch light-alloy wheels, a stiffer damper configuration and a ten-millimetre-lower body. Larger brake discs with a diameter of 390 mm ensure excellent braking performance.

Discreet visual modifications mark the SLR "722 Edition" out as special, in line with the wishes of the enthusiastic gentleman drivers and wealthy sports car collectors who make up the core target group. The modified front spoiler with an air splitter, as well as the rear diffuser, improve both the aerodynamics and contact pressure at high speeds, and reflect the transfer of cutting-edge technology from motor racing. At the same time, the use of clear-lacquered carbon as an extremely strong yet lightweight material symbolises the practicality of these technical features. Bucket-type sports seats upholstered in leather/Alcantara provide outstanding lateral support, while the grippier racing steering wheel with a hunting-leather lining, gearshift paddles and black carbon highlights lend a thoroughbred racing touch to the interior.

Exclusive "SLR. Club" for SLR owners

Before the sales release date, customers and selected guests will have the advance opportunity to appraise the new SLR "722 Edition". This is to mark the foundation of the worldwide "SLR. Club" at the Circuit Paul Ricard in Le Castellet, southern France. As an ultra-exclusive community of which SLR customers automatically become members, the "SLR Club" provides an attractive platform for outstanding events related to the SLR, as well as numerous other benefits. Another exciting feature is the club’s SLR Safety & Speed Academy, which offers special driver training courses and seminars. David Coulthard, Jochen Mass, Klaus Ludwig, Chris Goodwin and Christina Surer are among the highly skilled and well-known instructors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (469.4 KB, 164 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (546.1 KB, 151 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (504.5 KB, 98 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (755.2 KB, 248 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (514.4 KB, 146 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (630.4 KB, 64 views)
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Mercedes-Benz SLR "722 Edition" #2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (632.4 KB, 122 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (638.3 KB, 139 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (753.1 KB, 148 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (442.6 KB, 115 views)
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    It's a better product, yet it isn't a better SLR, no matter what type of badges and visual tweaks they put on this car. It's good for a modern supercar though, now hopefully we'll see more than just little visual tweaks.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

I just noticed there are some quite good POTD's in this group of pics

I love it.

It has made the SLR look much better- something I didn't think possible. Now they need to sort out the proportions...

they will probably supply it with a nav system. The original car had Denis Jenkinson sitting next to Moss and reading pace notes from two roles of paper. Now if such a system could only be supplied in this car, it would be true to its original, rather than just stealing the number. (Even then it will still remain an ugly car though)
    Last edited by henk4; 07-10-2006 at 09:05 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

continuing tradition... if that were the case, they'd have cut the roof off...

I can sum up this car in one word: meh
    ...Utah! Get me two...

It looks good...

Will they just make 722 of these SLRs?

I flippin love it, it's everything the car should have been anyway!

The interior finally looks like it might come from a £300,000 car, it looks mean too rather than a bit soft - imagine you'd just put a deposit down on an SLR!

As for the sat-nav, just get Jenkinson to do the voice!
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    As for the sat-nav, just get Jenkinson to do the voice!
    sadly he's been dead for a number of years now
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I love it.

It has made the SLR look much better- something I didn't think possible. Now they need to sort out the proportions... -Want an Audi said that.

I agree that the SLR's proportions are a bit... funny. A fantastic GT, but It just doesn't have the looks to suit my taste.

Great that M-B remembers Sir Moss. He was one of the best, and hopefully they will get a Satnav system as ballsy as Jenks, if that's possible.

Hmmm... should have thought that one through a bit more and done some research.

Well, it needs something from the fifties...

"Lyeft at the roundabout, old chap!"
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    Great that M-B remembers Sir Moss. He was one of the best, and hopefully they will get a Satnav system as ballsy as Jenks, if that's possible.
    It was the fact that Sir Moss drove 722 around the world during the last couple of years which made the number really known all over the world. The car has now been retired into the new Mercedes museum for ever. They now use 656 (the Fangio car) for demo drives. Wait until the next SLR 656 version

Desperation for sales = whoring out classics.

Thread Information