Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche CGT crash last year LAWSUIT SAYS CGT TOO FAST!!!!!!!

Porsche CGT crash last year LAWSUIT SAYS CGT TOO FAST!!!!!!!

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/co...608_466074.htm

Quote:
    CLAIMS ABOUT THE CAR

The claims about the Carrera GT itself are likely of most interest to us. Whether there was a mechanical issue with this particular car, or whether the Carrera GT design is inherently unstable, are matters that are best left to the engineers to debate.

But the claim that the Carrera GT is too hot to handle is something that all of us can think about. And this isn't just Porsche's problem. Clearly, the same claims can be made against other supercars, such as the Ford GT, the Enzo, and a host of others. A quick Internet search will locate sites whose function is to display photos of wrecked supercars, typified by www.wreckedexotics.com. It isn't hard to conclude that many of these cars are sold to owners who have far more cash than driving skill. And it's probably realistic to assume that these owners are not going to recognize their limitations and will succumb to the desire to drive these cars "the way they were meant to be driven," sometimes with disastrous consequences for themselves and others.

Should the manufacturers be required to qualify owners before selling these cars to them? How are they supposed to determine qualifications? And should they automatically be held liable when they sell supercars to owners who can't handle them?

McClellan says, "No, Porsche should only be liable because this car was defective." But then he adds, "It is defective, however, if the risks of its design outweigh the benefits. If its power and handling characteristics make it too dangerous for the average driver without training or instruction, then it is defective. Porsche should be liable because it sold a defective vehicle to Ben Keaton

This could change the way Manufactures make cars and sell them. If they win this lawsuit against Porsche saying the cars too fast or too hot to handle expect manufactures to put more technology like non-defeatable TC in cars, madatory driving school before cars can be sold, and maybe even less powerful cars.

This could change everything.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

I think a very likely outcome of this, especially if this is successful and even potentially so if it isn't, is that manufacturers will just pull out of the US market. So the foolishness of this guy and the mistakes made by the officials and the driver of the Ferrari will ruin it for everyone else.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

This is like the lawsuit where a lady sued McDonald's after she spilled coffe and burned her lap, saying the coffe was "too hot".

To keep it from getting too much press, I'm willing to bet Porsche will settle out of court.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

This make me angry, very angry. I HATE stupid people. WTF THE CARS TOO FAST?!?!?! THEN BY A FREAKING YARIS OR SOMETHING!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    This is like the lawsuit where a lady sued McDonald's after she spilled coffe and burned her lap, saying the coffe was "too hot".
    I dunno, I think there will be backlash of manufacturers against stupid lawsuits, this is a perfect oppertunity, Porsche can make an example out of this imbicile.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

people like that just piss me off. its not the driver of the cars fault, its obviously the ferrari driver's fault. if i were that person, i would just sue the ferrari driver for being a dumbass
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE
    (UCP'S biggest Zonda fan)

Stand up next to a mountain, chop it down with the edge of my hand. Pick up all the peices make an island over there
    Jimi H...

Stone him?

Btw suing a super car company for making incredibly fast cars is like suing is like suing gun makers for making guns that could Fire Projectiles because it was "a potentially deadly defect"
    Last edited by kko; 07-11-2006 at 09:55 PM.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

2. There are design defects with the Carrera GT that make it a poor-handling car, mainly tail-happy.
    CGT poor handling? STFU.

Well then it would only seem logical if he also sued Lamborghini, Bugtti, McLaren Cars, Pagani, Saleen, Ford, GM, Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes-Benz/Chrysler, Noble, Ultima, Radical, Ariel, Caterham, Peugeot, Aston Martin, Caparo, Ferrari, Gumpert, Koenigsegg, Lingenfelter, Hennessey, NISMO, Gemballa, RUF, etc. etc.

If you can't drive, then don't buy a 500,000 dollar supercar.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    If you can't drive, then don't buy a 500,000 dollar supercar.
    He shouldn't have even bought anything over $30k.

And this is so true.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.jayp.net/humor/gates.htm
    Let's see if I understand how America works lately...

If a woman burns her thighs on the hot coffee she was holding in her lap while driving, she blames the restaurant.

If your teenage son kills himself, you blame the rock 'n' roll music or musician he liked.

If you smoke three packs a day for 40 years and die of lung cancer, your family blames the tobacco company.

If your daughter gets pregnant by the football captain, you blame the school for poor sex education.

If your neighbor crashes into a tree while driving home drunk, you blame the bartender.

If your cousin gets AIDS because the needle he used to shoot up with heroin was dirty, you blame the government for not providing clean ones.

If your grandchildren are brats without manners, you blame television.

If your friend is shot by a deranged madman, you blame the gun manufacturer.

And if a crazed person breaks into the cockpit and tries to kill the pilots at 35,000 feet and the passengers kill him instead, the mother of the deceased blames the airline.

I must have lived too long to understand the world as it is anymore. So if I die while my old, wrinkled butt is parked in front of this computer, I want you to blame Bill Gates, OK?
    Last edited by NuclearCrap; 07-11-2006 at 10:53 PM.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

A few words to Porsche:
    No.1: Only sell fast cars to people who know how to handle fast cars (ever heard of a test drive?)
    No.2: Don't sell it to a mentally retarded lawyer, who will sue a company just because his pencil broke (LMAO).

The ladies clearly upset her husbands dead, she feels that a law suit is necessary. Although there was a similar suit in the early 90's where Porsche got sued for selling the Turbo to amateur drivers resulting in a faulty combination and therefore making them prone to injure and or death. OH and basically Americans never want to admit its their fault, its always everyone elses. Well at least thats how the immature act.

This woman's husband must've known that passengers weren't allowed, so he would've gotten in the car against the rules. I wonder if it'll get thrown out due to that.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Shouldn't the Ferrari driver, the flagman, and/or Keaton himself be liable for this accident? Blaming Porsche is just f*cked up.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Thread Information