Page 529 of 536 FirstFirst ... 29429479519527528529530531 ... LastLast
Results 7,921 to 7,935 of 8037

Thread: Show off your latest purchases here!

i'm trying to buy an E9 coupe of some sort at the moment. it's bloody impossible - considering importing one if any of you chaps know of a straight one?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Ordered a set of this(Bridgestone RE-11A in 255/40/17)

Because I did this to my current tires...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Rubbed the arches or under-inflated edge roll over ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I was running probably 45-46 PSI on those...

It is tire roll over though, but thats pretty much unavoidable running in stock class on a strut car with no front camber help. The track layout yesterday probably doesn't help. There was a segment where you go from a 5 cone slalom into a maybe 50ft skidpad(right hander) where you do a full circle around, the lot we setup at had a slope across where the pad is so it's not only a full circle, its also off cambered. Then after that its another right hand sweeper. So the left front takes a beating, especially already pretty worn ones like mine....

You can sorta gauge the course layout from the vid...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26bp9r1pSCc"]Evolution Performance Driving School Phase 1: 2013 Pontiac Silverdome - YouTube[/ame]

We drove that course 24 times...

As a reference, most of the autoX courses from the non-SCCA clubs is about 30-40 sec, and each of those autoX you get about 4-5 runs per event. That course for the class was a 33-35 sec course for me(started at 35 then I was able to get it down to mid 33). So Its about half a season worth of autoX in a day, on mostly hot tires(usually you don't run that often consecutively). So it was pretty abusive for a day.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

45psi ? yikes, that's a lot.
    Needing to rotate turns on runs. Only time I've had really warm day in comp (Scotland!) we were swapping each run and dropped tyre pressures to reduce the stress.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Well 6 years of trackday and Euro 'ring trips and 3 years of sprint/hillclimb competitive use and it finally has had enough of racing

Was getting more difficult when really warm and on full power "flatshift" but a missed change has made it now ok for road use but just wont go into second on at 9000 without double de clutching. My fault for a missed gear change in Sundays event. Max revs in 3rd then hitting second, locked up the rears, nearly spat me off and doing the math revved the engine out to over 13000 rpm. Thankfully no valves to bend and I wasn't going to waste time trying for another gear so just pushed on ! Check out the pics thread tho for what happens when you then go out for another run constantly double declutching changes and short shifting. That works on race circuits, but on sprint tracks you just run out of time to do all the things

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    45psi ? yikes, that's a lot.
    Needing to rotate turns on runs. Only time I've had really warm day in comp (Scotland!) we were swapping each run and dropped tyre pressures to reduce the stress.
    Don't really have the time to do that in that particular event. Lots of runs, no cool down and really sorta lacking on the tire front already...

Remedy is here though...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Thankfully no valves to bend
    So this isn't your valve?

And for purchases, 7 of these variety. abv ranging from 16.0% to 16.9%. They are $9 each. 30th birthday party coming and these I will pass out to unsuspecting partygoers aka, friends.

"Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

I have used that pic before and have actually had folks ask me how I got on with repairs
    Sarcasm is lost on some !!

Send us one of those beers and I'll drink to you on your b'day. Even come on Skype to sing you a drunken rendition of Happy Birthday in my best broad Scots

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Don't really have the time to do that in that particular event. Lots of runs, no cool down and really sorta lacking on the tire front already...
    Yeah, guess we're better with 30-40 mins between runs we get time to tinker ( or maybe that's a bad thing !! )

Interested how you find the RE-11s.
    Never found the Bridgestones particularly good on the RX-8 despite them being original supply

I am curious too. For that class of tires this season is pretty hotly contested with Bridgestone, BFG, Yokohama, Dunlop and Hankook all coming with a product for the general purpose(street tire classes in autoX is where they are pretty popular in). BFG's new "Rival" is I think the tire to have, but its a pretty dedicated design that I've read to have noise and wet driving issue. Since I don't have a seperate set of summer wheels whatever I run is whatever I drive with normally, so some streetability is important to me. My old Michelin hit that balance pretty well but since I am planning to do more autoX this year I figure I try the more performance oriented tires. RE-11 gets good review for noise and wet traction among that class of tires, the new RE-11A has a more dedicated compound for cold tire performance that's pretty crucial for normal autoX, so I figure I give that a go. Plus its $130 cheaper than BFG...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Mounted...

www.fsae.utoronto.ca

hmmm quite a rounded shoulder once fitted.
    looks like good choice for FWD or fronts.
    Definitely be trying low pressures on the rears to try and maximise lateral footprint shape.
    Be intrigued to see your wear pattern once competing.
    Good luck with them, always a bit of a stab-in-the-dark with tyre changes. Not just for car but what driver likes/is used to. Kumhos definitely changed my driving style and comfort to gain the extra speed.

Yep, probably will take some events to find the ideal pressure balance and level...

Also would be interested to see if it rubs....lol
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Sony 60 inch EX640 HD TV.
    42" Pioneer plasma relegated to the front room. It has served with honor but I needed less cable, more HDMIs and of course you get internet connectivity, media player and HD.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information