Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mc Laren F1

An F1 road car here in the USA recently sold in less than a week for ~$1.6M USD with over 22,000 miles on the odometer.

>8^)
    ER

Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25
    No there isn't... It's truly a farce to think that it matters one bit.
    I'm sure you'd say that too when you woke up in the morning to find that "organised" thieves had kindly cleared out your garage for you, the contents bound for some shifty guys somewhere in Eastern Europe...

It does happen.
    Thanks for all the fish

I see you are a member of the overly paranoid crowd.

>8^)
    ER

Would you post someone's address and phone numbers without their permission?

It's not "paranoia", it's polite.
    Thanks for all the fish

An F1 road car here in the USA recently sold in less than a week for ~$1.6M USD with over 22,000 miles on the odometer.

>8^)
    ER
    Maybe so, but zoom 20 years from now.
    Which do you think will sell for more?
    A F1 with 22,000 miles or a F1 with 5,000?

Though this isn't a perfect Example, old C1 Gen. Corvettes sell better with low mileage. A better example would be the F50s I've seen sell through DuPont.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Cars are meant to be driven... people who own F1s should drive them

I reckon in 20 years they'll be worth nothing....

"So, $5m eh.. and where am I going to get the fuel from?" It could happen.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks

Fine - a challenge: Find his address and phone number. You already have a name and <gasp> a license plate. 3... 2... 1... Go!

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    Maybe so, but zoom 20 years from now.
    Which do you think will sell for more?
    A F1 with 22,000 miles or a F1 with 5,000?
    I'm not really arguing. I was simply suggesting that high (or higher than average) mileage on an F1 doesn't seem to be severely impacting resale value on an F1 these days. Gordon Murray built the car so it could be a usable supercar and that's just what some owners have chosen to do. I applaud anyone who gets out and uses their F1 - why spend so much money on the world's greatest driver's car just to let it sit. Your better off buying a painting if stationary art is what you are after.

>8^)
    ER
    Last edited by Peloton25; 07-16-2006 at 12:13 PM.

Maybe that's what some folks do. It happens in everything.

People buy lots of land like my family, and build nothing on them. They let everything build around them, and then sale the land.

It can happen in cars. Who knows how low the number of F1s will be in 2026. But what if someone who is interested in buying a McLaren does want to drive it? I'm sure he'll be more interested in the low mileage one than the higher one unless he really wants one. But I guess a big factor is at this point at only about 14 years of age, the McLarens haven't reach those $5 million marks yet. They're rare, but not old enough where mileage will play a role like it does C1 Corvettes.

Maybe this will help.
    Lot of land with nothing on it and nothing around it - $20,000
    Lot of land with nothing on it and a community around it - $90,000

1995 F1 in 2006 - $1.4 million
    Years pass, the car becomes rarer and rarer - $1.4 million++
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

5th Gear wasn't very polite then...

If you don't want the general public to see a number plate, don't drive with it. Let alone get a TV show to spread it around the world.

By a similar argument, you can find someone's phone number by looking in the phone book, and their address too.

Doesn't mean that it is ok post that information across the internet, or directly attract people's attention to it.
    Thanks for all the fish

What's the matter? Not up for the challenge? If it's really so easy to find someone's personal information from their license plate shouldn't you have an answer by now?

I really haven't done any of the things you are suggesting in regards to phone numbers or addresses. Now stop ruining a good thread over this silly debate.

>8^)
    ER

I really haven't done any of the things you are suggesting in regards to phone numbers or addresses. Now stop ruining a good thread over this silly debate.
    Just because you find the matter trivial, doesn't meant that it isn't important.

Some people seek to be in the "public-eye", others wish to lead a more private life.

I think it rather unfair that people should determine who has the right to this privacy based on what car they own

And, yes, it is rather easy to find that information - you only need to go to the DVLA with a half decent excuse...

Why should I answer your "challenge".

Even if I did get the information, I would never post it, so how would you know that I did or didn't get hold of it?

Respecting other people's privacy should be a common courtesy, which is why many people blur number plates in the first place.

And this isn't really a "good thread" either.
    Thanks for all the fish

on a more general note. If people bring cars to places where they are bound to be seen by enthusiasts or whatever, they take the risk that their cars will be shown on whatever medium. When I take pictures at club events supporting motor sport venues, I never go for the trouble of blanking the license plate. However I would only in very rare cases publish a picture of car shot random in the streets.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Just because you find the matter trivial, doesn't meant that it isn't important.

Some people seek to be in the "public-eye", others wish to lead a more private life.

I think it rather unfair that people should determine who has the right to this privacy based on what car they own
    Of course that's fair, which is why the owner (...and we'll call him "Mr Smith" to help protect his identity ) chose to appear in another clip on the McLaren F1 using his car which appeared on the Discovery Science Channel during an episode of "Ultimate Cars" here in the USA and on other channels around the world.

And, yes, it is rather easy to find that information - you only need to go to the DVLA with a half decent excuse...
    If that were true we'd have an owner's name by now for "R66 MCL" and "K66 MCL" along with a few others.

Why should I answer your "challenge".

Even if I did get the information, I would never post it, so how would you know that I did or didn't get hold of it?
    Fine.

Respecting other people's privacy should be a common courtesy, which is why many people blur number plates in the first place.
    Complete waste of time - doesn't protect them from anything.

And this isn't really a "good thread" either.
    Talk about being polite and courteous... That's not a very nice thing to say to our friend Hold_&.

>8^)
    ER

and sometimes he looks like this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information