Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: The VE Commodore IS HERE

At least the GTS has some differences that are'nt purely superficial. I'd much rather buy a vehicle with bonuses(MRC) than a vehicle with deleted options.....simplified i know, but it's late and i'm 'tanked'.

Motor mag said that Magnetic ride control didn't do all that much to the GTS's ride at all.

In fact if you pick up the latest edition of Motor, the review pitching the GTS and GT against each other is quite good. (IIRC the GT did a 5.6!! only 0.3 off the GTS!!)

The GT was still beating the GTS in some ride elements, they said it was more comfortable aswell. They had a series of quotes from people after they looked at the cars, the majority saying that the GT still looks nicer than the GTS. And this is only a GT, not a GT-P.

The GTS won the comparo, of course, but reading the article it felt like the GT was going to win. Especially since its 10 grand cheaper. It surprised me at the end of the article, they only said that the price 'gave the GT points', and then totally dismissed it. The GTS won because it was a "more advanced package" or something. Well duh, why not compare it to a GT-P if you want a better package?? (Although they did state that the GT was used instead of a GT-P because it wasn't supposed to be a comparison between models, rather just a rough idea of how the GTS compares. It didn't stop them from treating it like a full blown comparison though.)
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Theyre always like that though. I remember one time, i think it was Wheels this time, could only get their hands on a Senator rather than a Clubsport, and still let the different spec and price levels influence the decision. Between say a GT and Senator, or GT and GTS then its fair enough, but trying to base the E series against the BF2's with 2 mismatched models is hardly the way to go.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by caz_375
    At least the GTS has some differences that are'nt purely superficial. I'd much rather buy a vehicle with bonuses(MRC) than a vehicle with deleted options.....simplified i know, but it's late and i'm 'tanked'.
    Ive come to the conclusion FPV never intended to throw everything they had at the Force models, and that they simply want the nameplate established for 18 months time.

Along with that theres rumours of an up specced F6 called F6 Tempest that for now will probably just have upgraded suspension, seats and brakes.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Motor mag said that Magnetic ride control didn't do all that much to the GTS's ride at all.
    Did you read the article at all?

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOR Magazine Dec. 2006 Issue
    Even with the MRC track setting turned off, the GTS hunkers into the road with superior balance and grip. It sits, slices into the corner more precisely and hangs on with noticeably more mid corner speed. Select 'track', and the GTS steps up another notch. On a tight, closing-radius third-gear corner - which was second in the GT - you can confidently throw the GTS in and feel the damping get stiffer and stiffer as the cornering loads increased. It's surprising how hard you can steam into corners, turning in while trail braking to keep some weight over the front tyres, and then roaring out the other side. The front grips tenaciously on turn-in, and the rear stays hooked up on exit with nary a slide.
    IIRC the GT did a 5.6!! only 0.3 off the GTS!!
    It did, and a 13.9 1/4. The GTS ran in 5.4 and a 13.4 (Both were auto, with the GTS only having 1100km on the clock and feeling a little stiff, whilst the GT had 12,000km up.) Also, interesting to note that the GT did 15.1L/100km, whilst the GTS only did 12.3L/100km!

The GT was still beating the GTS in some ride elements, they said it was more comfortable aswell.
    I'd be interested in the ride in the R8 compared to the GTS, IIRC the GTS is stiffer than it is.

They had a series of quotes from people after they looked at the cars, the majority saying that the GT still looks nicer than the GTS. And this is only a GT, not a GT-P.
    But one of them also said "Holdens are just Vauxhalls and the only good place for one is in a ditch."

The GTS won the comparo, of course, but reading the article it felt like the GT was going to win. Especially since its 10 grand cheaper.
    They actually mentioned at the start that it wasn't a straight comparo because of the price difference

It surprised me at the end of the article, they only said that the price 'gave the GT points', and then totally dismissed it.
    That's what MOTOR always does. Start the final paragraph where they make their final conclusion by listing all the good points of the loser, then basically going the other one was best. The Cayman v M3 comparo is a classic example.

The GTS won because it was a "more advanced package" or something. Well duh, why not compare it to a GT-P if you want a better package??
    I really doubt testing the GT-P would've changed the result, the GT-P pack just adds more options, nothing that would've made it a more advanced package.

Although they did state that the GT was used instead of a GT-P because it wasn't supposed to be a comparison between models, rather just a rough idea of how the GTS compares. It didn't stop them from treating it like a full blown comparison though.
    MOTOR's Final conlusion: "The GT is more comfortable than the GTS, the ZF self-shifter is smarter and smoother and it scores point on price in this comparison, but the GTS is a much more advanced package. The Clayton clan has developed a hugely capable car that's as close as you could get to a road going V8 Supercar, with a magical 6.0-litre V8 that feels like it could belt around Bathurst all day."

Couple of points in the comparo: GTS has very slightly better brakes, GT's are very good, "but the HSV provide just that dash extra confidence." Also, the BOSS engine weight and positioning still works against it a little in the handling department, and you need to keep it higher up in the revs (4000-6000rpm) in spirited driving, whilst the LS2 works better down low, though the better ZF box would bring a little of that disadvantage back, the GM 6spd wasn't too keen on downshifting in manual mode.
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 11-10-2006 at 08:30 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Along with that theres rumours of an up specced F6 called F6 Tempest that for now will probably just have upgraded suspension, seats and brakes.
    Probably trying to recoup some costs from the Drif6, would be pretty cool as that things mental.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    I'd be interested in the ride in the R8 compared to the GTS, IIRC the GTS is stiffer than it is.
    IIRC theres just the 3 settings across the range; comfort, performance and track, with the Senator the only one getting comfort. Ive heard HSV invested a fair bit into MRC, but i guess it wouldve been nice to have perhaps all models with the 3 settings, as well as perhaps a wider range. Cant complain too much though i suppose.
    I am the Stig

Probably trying to recoup some costs from the Drif6, would be pretty cool as that things mental.
    Drif6 was a advertising write off for fpv when i was at the dealership we had $30k (odd it was a bit more then that) of holdens money for advertising and thats just a large dealership in canberra.

Thats just my opion on it anyways we got that much for being a large dealership in canberra i could only imagine what fpvs advertising budget is.

havent been in here in a while (4 months 1 day and 3 hours and 15 mins if the date in my user bar is right) so instead of reading everything im going to state my own opions........ARNT the hsv models ugly yuk! I saw an r8 in the flesh and i was waiting for the pig nose at the front of it to sneaze. But to their defense on paper all hsvs seem to be a quantum leap in nearly every direction more punch,more brakes and for something completly diffrent a big emphisis on handeling which is fantastic. Apparently a number of punters are complaining about the lack of grunt especially in the GTS models and a MAJORITY dont even care about the new suspension

And isnt the SS a nice looking car (imo ) and i was recently went on a test drive thanks to a a friend of mine and I must say this car is a major development over pervious SS' ive drivan (VT holden 8,VY pannel van and a VZ) sharper shifts,better brakes,nice interior etc but the 2 major things that stood out in my mind the way the thing drove while SS' are sharper then the average they had a kind of bland feeling this thing was responsive to the road and the other brilliant point the lusture the new motor had! it had a great feeling to it and a birlliant feeling of urgency when the foot was planted and didnt have the same delay the genIII had for power down.

Id still rate my 03 wrx drive above this thing (now way this things going through the roundabout as fast as the wrx could lol) but its for reasons of personal prefernce as a package i liked the feel of the wrx over the VE despite an obvious deficeny in alot of areas the WRX still has a more raw feeling that is sorely missed with alot of modern performance cars (VE lacks in this feel still does ok just doesnt feel the way i like it) But I will say fairly soon i may be in the market for a new car and this car is a definite must test for such a time.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

This type of testing ir more normal compared too the last test i seen.

VE SSV Vs FPV GT & Chrysler SRT8. Hardly a fair comparisons there but noone said a word.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Did you read the article at all?
    No. IIRC There was something adverse written about MRC.

They actually mentioned at the start that it wasn't a straight comparo because of the price difference
    The only reason I picked up the magazine was because the front cover was dominated by "HSV vs FPV".
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

No. IIRC There was something adverse written about MRC.
    Nope. They weren't too happy about the ride, but no complaints about the MRC
    – Hunter Thompson

Nope. They weren't too happy about the ride, but no complaints about the MRC
    It's the opposite too the VE sporty s, It's build for performance all out not comfort with sporty side they want too brake your poor nads driving it

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    It's the opposite too the VE sporty s, It's build for performance all out not comfort with sporty side they want too brake your poor nads driving it
    IMO they missed out on a massive opportunity to rectify an ongoing criticism of HSV's being too harsh for day to day. Only the Senator has a "Comfort" setting whilst the GTS and R8 simply amplify the stiffness.
    I am the Stig

IMO they missed out on a massive opportunity to rectify an ongoing criticism of HSV's being too harsh for day to day. Only the Senator has a "Comfort" setting whilst the GTS and R8 simply amplify the stiffness.
    Maybe the SV6-SS---V are set just about more too the softer side they see the hsv's as bone breakers. The old VZ ss was as hard as the hsv's.
    I'd like a senator flick that gizmo button and hit the track.. I wonder how many drive with it on always?.

The R8 doesn't have the MRC....i got the impression from a few of your posts that you thought it did. Apologies if i'm wrong in my assumption

Thread Information