View Poll Results: Who's side are YOU on, soldier?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lebanon and Hezballah's side.

17 21.79%
  • Israel's side.

26 33.33%
  • I don't know enough about each to make a decision.

11 14.10%
  • I hate both equally.

14 17.95%
  • This is all George Bush's fault.

10 12.82%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel vs. Lebanon THE POLL Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Well, whilst I guess it must be pretty galling for Americans to expect everyone to come along and "fix" their problems, it doesn't happen to other countries.

You don't get people expecting, say Italy or Norway, to come to the rescue for instance.

I suspect that it is largely because the USA's policies are very hypocritical/ double standard-ish.

They leap into the fray to "help" the people in one country, then do nothing when facing the same problem in another.

If America wants to wave the flag of "world Police" they can't just do it part-time; it is either all, nothing, or people whinging about double standards...

So long as it's only whinging that the USA suffers, and not bombing, I'm sure that America is strong enough and brave enough to survive without the need to go off in the corner for a little cry.

so your saying its either screw everyone no matter what, or help as many people you can even if it is harmful in many other ways? yeah thats alot better. I believe in picking your battles, now i dont think america is doing the best job at that, but really what are you going to do? And it is sort of hypocritcal coming from a country that follows pretty much no matter what, like thats making the world a better place. Sometimes its just easier to complain about someone else instead of doing something yourself isnt it?
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    so your saying...
    No.

I'm saying that if people want the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of complaints to stop then the options are:

1) Help everyone to the same degree
    2) Do nothing

Otherwise you're going to have to put up with some complaints, which isn't really going to ruin the lives of that many American's, is it?
    Thanks for all the fish

No.

I'm saying that if people want the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of complaints to stop then the options are:

2) Do nothing

Otherwise you're going to have to put up with some complaints, which isn't really going to ruin the lives of that many American's, is it?
    That is unrealistic and you know it.

You love to complain about the USA to the point where your arguments are as lame as the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia

You love to complain about the USA to the point where your arguments are as lame as the above.
    But Dino, you would also have to admit that you support the USA and George Bush towards the same extent.

I'm not "complaining about the USA", I am putting forward an argument.

If you can't understand that, that is your fault, not mine.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thus the 'damned if we do stick our head in, and damned if we don't'.

You're just covering the damned if we do side of it.
    erm no i am also covering the 'damned if we dont' because the USA is the most powerful contry in the world therefore they have the power to solve most problems...they insist on a war againest terrorism yet hundreds of victims are being killed by a country not an organization...what steps have they taken???
    none........
    CoventrySucks is completely right if you are going to help people then help so equally if you are not, then dont interfere...
    Dino your arguments are becoming lame not COventrySucks...
    Last edited by Clique; 07-16-2006 at 01:28 PM.
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

No.

2) Do nothing

uh ok, or maybe people should just understand that there are various factors to consider, and its not just a option 1 or 2 thing which is why its not always consistent b/c the factors arent always consistent. For example the outcome of helping one group of people or nation or whatever could be completely different then helping another and even more harmful, if the outcome of helping is worse than the outcome of not then why help? However, if the outcome of helping is greater than how could you as a conscientious human being not? And maybe people should realise that while a country may not always seem to be making what is the clear best decision you still have to weight the effects differently on each occasion. But then again like i said before its easier to just complain then consider more things.

Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    if you are going to help people then help so equally if you are not, then dont interfere...
    thats extremely short sighted, if only the world was that easy.
    Last edited by scottie300z; 07-16-2006 at 03:03 PM.
    You can call me scott.

I agree.

So you expect us to help South Korea and North Korea when they start crap with each other?

What does that do for us? Oh that's right, that pisses them off knowing they're ally is an allying with an enemy, so they both turn and attack us.

As Dino said, that's a lame argument, and you know it would never happen.

Clique, China is the most powerful country, not the US unless you deteremine that by who has how many nukes and who doesn't.

By both your standards, if I see a person being mugged, I should help neither, and let the person by mugged, or be killed, right?

Terrific, America will need to remember this when and if the UK ever asks for help.
    Nope, your on your own.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

I'm not "complaining about the USA", I am putting forward an argument.

If you can't understand that, that is your fault, not mine.
    Yeah right.

I can see the USA with all it's wealth choosing your #2 option which is 'do nothing'.

That's a ridiculous option, and if you can't see that it's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    thats extremely short sighted, if only the world was that easy.
    theres nothing short sighted about what i said... if you are going to help resolve world issues then resolve them by treating all parties equally and fairly... if you are not going; then dont interfere b'coz this will just make the situation worst, as one side will have the backing of the most powerful nation on the earth....which i think must be itimidatiing for the other party invovled...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Like Convetry, you're saying I should equally help 2 fighting nations only to find they would both turn on me?

Again, terrific logic.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Besides, no country does anything equally, but we always get the double standard...it just doesn't work that way and it can't.

That's a ridiculous option, and if you can't see that it's your problem.
    Err... Those two options are specifically stupid to contrast the complaints earlier in the thread that the USA is oft accused of doing too much/ not enough.

If you want those accusations to stop, those are your two options.

Obviously they could never be practical, therefore you'll have to put up with the accusations, but as all these accuastions do is slightly dent one's patriotic fervour, it isn't really too much of a burden to face, considering the alternatives.

Regardless of whether I "hate" the USA or not , it is clear that there is a constant criticism of the US comes in for.

Other countries don't face these criticisms; what are they doing to escape it that the USA isn't?

Are they "helping" the Rest Of World the same, but in a different way, or are they doing so little that no one notices or cares?

And, on a more personal note, even if I did "hate" America - why is that a problem?

It doesn't hurt anyone, it doesn't impede your daily life; if you have a genuine counter argument to a criticism made, apply it.

Making derogatory remarks isn't suddenly make me drop my life in Britain and move to Anytown USA and found a combined apple pie & gun shop, is it?
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    theres nothing short sighted about what i said... if you are going to help resolve world issues then resolve them by treating all parties equally and fairly... if you are not going; then dont interfere b'coz this will just make the situation worst, as one side will have the backing of the most powerful nation on the earth....which i think must be itimidatiing for the other party invovled...

and in some situation perhaps that intimidation might be the best way to solve the problem, may not always be but you cannot say it will never be, and therefore short sighted. B/c you cant come to every situation like you have every other situation, b/c you may miss some important things that a specific situation may be dealing w/ over another, and therefore once again, short sighted.
    You can call me scott.

Err... Those two options are specifically stupid to contrast the complaints earlier in the thread that the USA is oft accused of doing too much/ not enough.

If you want those accusations to stop, those are your two options.

Obviously they could never be practical, therefore you'll have to put up with the accusations, but as all these accuastions do is slightly dent one's patriotic fervour, it isn't really too much of a burden to face, considering the alternatives.

Regardless of whether I "hate" the USA or not , it is clear that there is a constant criticism of the US comes in for.

Other countries don't face these criticisms; what are they doing to escape it that the USA isn't?

Are they "helping" the Rest Of World the same, but in a different way, or are they doing so little that no one notices or cares?

And, on a more personal note, even if I did "hate" America - why is that a problem?

It doesn't hurt anyone, it doesn't impede your daily life; if you have a genuine counter argument to a criticism made, apply it.

Making derogatory remarks isn't suddenly make me drop my life in Britain and move to Anytown USA and found a combined apple pie & gun shop, is it?

We deserve some criticism for certain things...but in many ways we've spoiled the world in what it expects of us...that's our fault for being way to giving in many cases.

Other countries don't face these criticisms because they don't do near half of what we've done.

You can bash America all you want to, just do it with a coherent argument...to often your distaste for America clouds your thinking.

Thread Information