Thread: Road America – Track Advice

Road America – Track Advice

I am thinking about taking the family to Road America next month to check out some Speed World Challenge and ALMS racing.

Just wondering if anyone else has been to the track.

If so I was wondering if the in field parking was worth the extra $25, and also any recommendation on where to sit during the events?

--
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

I have been to Road America a few times and I would say in-field parking probably not worth the extra $25, there's plenty of places that are outside and you can be pretty close to any of the pedestrian bridges as it is.

Where to stand, I have never been in the grandstands there actually... My personal favorite, from a picture-taking standpoint is Canada Corner. You can see the cars coming at you, break, take the corner and then excelerate through a small chicane uphill. I also like Moraine sweep, get a feel for how fast they really are going, and then my other favorite spot is the inside of turn 5.

Here you can sit on a big hill see the cars turn into it and head uphill.There is also a beverage/food stand right there. Then you got the Carousel. Thats a pretty nice high speed turn.

The whole thing is that I love RA and have always enjoyed a day out there, the other thing is though is I have never attended a race there, always was there for practice or qualifying, so then we could get a paddock ticket and walk closer to the garages and see the work areas, which might impress your kids. I went to ALMS two years ago with my dad and had a blast.

Yep, turn 5 is very nice, but less so if you want to take pics, as most of the time it is against the light, unless you go straight up the hill. direction Toyota bridge, or start working from the inside of the corner. The proximity to the paddocks makes it also interesting, as you can easily take a stroll there in between races.
    (we were there in 2002 and had a free parking ticket)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thanks for the feed back guys, I will scope out the areas you guys suggested.

How is the sound level, do you think it will be to loud for a 1 year old? I want to get some ear protection for him, but I am not sure how long he will put up with that.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor
    Thanks for the feed back guys, I will scope out the areas you guys suggested.

How is the sound level, do you think it will be to loud for a 1 year old? I want to get some ear protection for him, but I am not sure how long he will put up with that.
    ear plugs are always advisable, also for those over 1 year old
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information