Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why do people who dont like vtec ... dont like vtec?

Personally I like the VTEC system and most of it's variants but I don't see it as the best system out there.

I consider BMW's Double VANOS and Valvetronic to be the best system of valve adjustment. It beats all other systems in every aspect.

VTEC is good but if really needs a good upgrade. I hope that Honda will soon figure out how to get a smoother transition and better optimisation. As of now they have one cam setting that is good from 1200-3000rpm and when it switches (around 5-6000rpm) the cam is optimised for about 5500-6800rpm. They need to make a system that is effective from idle to redline (as BMW have).
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Its interesting then, that Honda has claimed higher hp/l figures than either the E46 M3 or latest M5
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    Personally I like the VTEC system and most of it's variants but I don't see it as the best system out there.

I consider BMW's Double VANOS and Valvetronic to be the best system of valve adjustment. It beats all other systems in every aspect.

VTEC is good but if really needs a good upgrade. I hope that Honda will soon figure out how to get a smoother transition and better optimisation. As of now they have one cam setting that is good from 1200-3000rpm and when it switches (around 5-6000rpm) the cam is optimised for about 5500-6800rpm. They need to make a system that is effective from idle to redline (as BMW have).
    It's a good thing YOU consider the vanos system better than any other, i hope you can show me your numbers on a bmw car with more Hp/L than an Honda, only the M3 could get close to the S2000 and only that... close.

Also don't you think Honda and Toyota cost a bit less than a BMW but offer the same engine technology? (if not better)
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Well Honda and Toyota probably sell more cars than BMW. Considering Honda stick some form of VTEC in almost all their cars, that seriously helps in recovering development costs.
    I am the Stig

A high revvy 4 cylinder engine still hurts my ears, only for that I wouldnt take one even if the technology is so good.

ever driven a DC5 ITR?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower
    not necessarily...higher engine size tends to have more weight and fuel consumption. I know because Vtecs have high revs may not neccarily be true but if ur not racing keep them at low revs and ur good.
    You plain and simple wrong. Gearing and weight have the most to do with it. Why do you think a 500hp 7L Corvette can better in gas milage on the highway than the S2000? The S2K is so peaky it must use big gearing to make up for it, while the Z06 practically sits at idle pulling along just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    You do understand that not everyone is looking for a late 90's American 'muscle-car' carrying 300+hp out of a blown V8 right?
    Yeah, and even less people are looking for special olympics kind of performance either.

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    the number of cylinders has little effect on power output, i can easily name some 4 cylinder engines that put out more power then v6s or even some v8s
    Would those 4 cylinders happen to be turbocharged or from the same year as the V6 or V8?
    and specific output DOES matter, if you're into racing, the class you're in is often dictaed by engine size, so a 200hp 2L engine is much better then a 200hp 3L engine, and a smaller engine can be placed in a smaller vehicle which means lower weight, a crucial factor in performance
    Smaller dispalcement does NOT mean smaller engine! For god sakes! Ill use this comparison AGAIN. The Northstar is 4.4L, while the LS7 is 7L, and you guessed it, the LS7 is SMALLER, and LIGHTER.
    HP/L is still irrelivent when it comes to comparisons, thats what Im getting at.
    this is why an s2000 which only has 240hp can outperform say a 350z which has 40more horses
    No, weight and gearing is why, not displacement.
    you could argue that well the engines are so small their potential is far below that of a bigger displacement engine with less techy stuff. and you'd be right, displacement is king when you're talking about ultimate power, but i'd still rather have an engine which already has vtec, and 4 valves per cylinder, then a big block v8 which doesnt, as you can easily increase displacment by boring the engine, or going for forced induction, but it's nearly impossible to add a variable timing system or 4 valves per cylinder onto an engine which wasnt designed with it
    Well for starters, OHV engines are now comming out with VVT. There are also kits for OHC concersions. And as I said before X amount of power is X amount of power, no matter where its coming from. And if a small block V8 is going to be cheaper, more powerful, have much greater potential, and be barley larger and heavier than a peaky 4cylinder than the answer should be clear.

my dad got a honda accord v-tec... and its very good to drive in at low speed and rpm... it can take alot of rpms standard.. thats what i like about vtec..
    Walk down the river

- Cause the river dont run...

why doesn't Honda make a V8, apart form their F1 car? (well, apart from the fact they don't have a model to put it in lol)
    it'd be pretty cool, definately something different
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

What's not to like???

The great thing about variable valve/timing systems is that they give you the best of both worlds. Smooth low RPM operation and the associated economy and less wear and tear to the valvetrain and high RPM power. Most of the time the engine is in economy mode which is also geared for better torque than an engine purely geared for high RPM; additionally, variable intake manifolds aid this duality along. A butterfly valve routes air through longer intake runners benefitting torque at lower RPM and opens up to allow a short and direct path at high RPM.

VTEC: a dual personality that wasn't possible in N/A engines before Honda started VTEC, smartly others followed.

Yeah, fanboys are a buzzkill no matter what they're fanning...no "replacement for displacement" or the "my technology will overcome all physics and reason......."
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99

you're kidding right ?? bmw's system is one of the worst on the market
    double vanos does nothing except phase the timing of cams, and valvetronic has a complicated gearing system to actuate the valves, which becomes horribly inefficient at high rpms (which is where variable valve timing nets the most gains)

honda's i-vtec, toyota's vvtl-i and porsche's variocam plus are both better then bmw's by far

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Well Honda and Toyota probably sell more cars than BMW. Considering Honda stick some form of VTEC in almost all their cars, that seriously helps in recovering development costs.
    who cares what the reasoning is, we just want to know which one's better, and as of yet no one has given any proof to refute my claim of honda's being one of the best on the market, if not THE best considering toyota only has their vvtl-i engine in the corolla xrs and porsche's cars are way out of reach by most people

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    why doesn't Honda make a V8, apart form their F1 car? (well, apart from the fact they don't have a model to put it in lol)
    it'd be pretty cool, definately something different
    The next NSX reportedly has a V-10. How big that engine will be, I don't know. Just wait a couple years and you'll find out.

Honda is a company that is more biased towards family cars than sports cars, so the V-8 is definately out of the question. I wish they did make more sports cars though. If the V-10 is true, than it'll do fine for me.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 07-19-2006 at 10:32 AM.

Thread Information