Thread: Parents, Rejoice!

Parents, Rejoice!

MATHEMATICIAN FINDS ANSWER TO TIMELESS QUESTION

As the nation sets off this week on its summer holidays, the back seats of family cars will ring to the sound of one of life’s great questions - ‘Are we nearly there yet?’

However, a mathematician has answered parents’ prayers and put a stop to the question for good. Professor Dwight Barkley, Department of Mathematics at the University of Warwick, has formulated an equation to calculate the exact time into a journey it takes for a child to ask ‘Are we nearly there yet?’

The equation takes the following form:

T is the exact time at which a child first asks "Are we nearly there yet?"

to is the time you left the house

C is the number of children in the car

A is the number of activities to do

The equation, which was commissioned by Škoda to help its customers better prepare for long summer car journeys, works by taking into account the length of time since leaving the house, the number of activities available and the number of children in the car. It illustrates how the length of time until a child asks the question will increase with the number of activities on offer and the number of children in the car.

Commenting on the triumph, Professor Dwight Barkley explained, "Mathematics can help answer many of life’s questions and this equation can be a fun way to think about the problem of keeping children entertained on a family car journey."

Catherine Bell, Head of Press and PR for Škoda UK, comments, "We assisted the research to better understand the relevant factors to consider before embarking on a long holiday trip. We are always thinking about how the family car can improve the lives of our customers, which can be seen in the new Roomster, which launches in September."

The equation has been devised to coincide with the launch of Škoda’s brand new Roomster model which has been fitted with numerous useful and clever creature comforts which help to entertain children.

The ideal family car for long journeys, the space inside is second to none. Following along the lines of a compact MPV, the Roomster will appeal to purchasers of small family hatches, and caters for both the driver and passengers to ensure maximum levels of comfort. With large windows throughout for an airy, spacious feel and raised seats, children have the best possible view outside to help in playing I-Spy or car bingo!

The Roomster’s contemporary design allows four or five seater configurations meaning you can invite that extra playmate for your child, while the vast amount of space extends to the boot which, with a volume of between 450 and 530 litres - amongst the largest in its class - you can pack in every single activity to follow the equation!

However, if you can’t wait until September, Škoda’s current range of models - the Fabia, Octavia and Superb – are all available now and will transport you and your family to your holiday destination comfortably and safely, with bags of space for your luggage.

T was always equal to t(o)....no need for the rest of the formula
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The answer will still always be NO! though. A timeless classic such as NO! would never end. Plus with the advent of DVD players and stuff, kids will never need to ask the question anymore.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

is everyone in this forum on drugs. these threads are senseless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    Matra's gone. As he left he kicked UCP of a proverbial cliff.

And your contributions to make this forum a better place are incredibly valued?

You seem to be lacking the "funny bone" and can't tolerate a little humour...

EDIT: Ladies and gentlemen, exhibit A: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=21331
    Last edited by Sauc3; 07-21-2006 at 10:00 AM.

i was pointing out that there are a load of silly threads. why the hell does that result in a person attack from you.

i was pointing out that there are a load of silly threads. why the hell does that result in a person attack from you.
    And I was pointing out that you're incredibly quick to blame others for faults that don't even exist. All the while, you're creating the same kind of threads, not pointing out what you would like to improve OR helping improve the site in the way you would like.

Hey, maybe I just didn't phrase that correctly the first time. Your first post in this thread wasn't exactly proper and all kind hearted either now was it.

its brit humour. there tends to be no need for smileys to signify that it isnt supposed to be serious. maybe i shouldve put '' after it but most people here understand us brits. I'm not blaming anybody for anything I'm simply pointing out the fact that there are a few recent threads that seem realy weird (a.k.a 'on drugs'). I ran the photo competitions for..well..a long time. Thats contributing?. I dont think the site needs improving other than the mod-situation which I've given up on due to the lack of understanding on the matter. Anyway, I'm here mostly to read the latest news I'm not a full time member i dont have that good a post-to-date ratio. I just come, read, maybe make comments. Other than the misunderstanding in terms of my first post, I dont think there are any real issues as concerns my membership.

Basically, threads like these have always been part of these forums, and most likely always will be. Just because they're not 'brit humour', doesn't mean that they can't be appreciated for the funny side.

In reply to the photo comp, I have no doubt to the appreciation of everyone, myself included, for those. The thing is, that was then, and this is now. NOW you're complaining about things on the forums, and you don't seem to be attempting to do anything about it. I still don't fully understand your argument about the moderators, nor am I going to discuss it right now because this is not the time nor place (plus, I need to go to sleep).

Basically, I'm not attempting to "personally attack" you, merely pointing out that your complaints weren't entirely well grounded or well placed.

Goodnight.

Ok calm down guys. Frig, lets all make order here. I'll be honest, I made some stupid threads too, but yeah, we have to keep order. At least while Matra is gone. I hope he comes back soon though.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed
    Ok calm down guys. Frig, lets all make order here. I'll be honest, I made some stupid threads too, but yeah, we have to keep order. At least while Matra is gone. I hope he comes back soon though.
    Don't make out like he's some sort of king... we don't need one member to stay on track. Use some initiative... and send me my ****ing fortune cookie

Thread Information