Thread: AMD Buys ATI

AMD Buys ATI

It's been a rumour for several weeks, but now it's confirmed: AMD buys ATI. What implications is this merger going to have for the hardware market?

NEW YORK -- July 24, 2006 --AMD (NYSE: AMD) and ATI (TSX: ATY, NASDAQ: ATYT) today announced plans to join forces in a transaction valued at approximately $5.4 billion. The combination will create a processing powerhouse by bringing AMD’s technology leadership in microprocessors together with ATI’s strengths in graphics, chipsets and consumer electronics. The result: A new and more formidable company, determined to drive growth, innovation and choice for its customers, particularly in the commercial and mobile computing segments and in the rapidly-growing consumer electronics market. Combining technologies, people, and complementary strengths, AMD plans to deliver in 2007 customer-centric platforms for the benefit of customers who want to collaborate in the development of differentiated solutions.

AMD’s acquisition of ATI will position the new company to deliver innovations that fulfill the increasing demand for more integrated solutions in key market segments while also continuing to develop “best-of-breed” discrete products that empower customers to choose the combination of technologies that best serves their needs. In 2008 and beyond, AMD aims to move beyond current technological configurations to transform processing technologies, with silicon-specific platforms that integrate microprocessors and graphics processors to address the growing need for general-purpose, media-centric, data-centric and graphic-centric performance. Thus, the combined company intends to empower its customers to create their own unique products and solutions within an open-innovation ecosystem free from artificial barriers to customer success.

“ATI shares our passion and complements our strengths: technology leadership and customer centric innovation,” said AMD Chairman and CEO Hector Ruiz. “Bringing these two great companies together will allow us to transcend what we have accomplished as individual businesses and reinvent our industry as the technology leader and partner of choice. We believe AMD and ATI will drive growth and innovation for the entire industry, enabling our partners to create differentiated solutions and empowering our customers to choose what is best for them.”

“This combination means accelerated growth for ATI, and broader horizons for our employees,” said Dave Orton, President and CEO of ATI. “All of our product lines will benefit. Joining with AMD will enable us to innovate aggressively on the PC platform, and continue to invest significantly in our consumer business to stay in front of our markets.”

“Windows Vista will deliver incredible advances in the user experience as a result of advancements in graphics integration and performance,” said Jim Allchin, Co-President of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services Division. “We’re excited by the potential of what AMD and ATI can deliver together to enhance the Windows Vista experience for our customers even further.”

Under the terms of the transaction, AMD will acquire all of the outstanding common shares of ATI for a combination of $4.2 billion in cash and 57 million shares of AMD common stock, based on the number of shares of ATI common stock outstanding on July 21, 2006. All outstanding options and RSUs of ATI will be assumed. Based upon the closing price of AMD common stock on July 21, 2006 of $18.26 a share, the consideration for each outstanding share of ATI common stock would be $20.47, comprised of $16.40 of cash and 0.2229 shares of AMD common stock.

AMD anticipates it will finance the cash portion of the transaction with a combination of cash and new debt. AMD has obtained a $2.5 billion term loan commitment from Morgan Stanley Senior Funding, Inc. which, together with combined existing cash, cash equivalents, and short term investments balances of approximately $3.0 billion, provides full funding for the transaction.

ATI has received an opinion from its financial advisors that the transaction from a financial point of view is fair to its shareholders. The transaction was unanimously approved by the board of directors of each company. The transaction is subject to ATI shareholder approval, Canadian court supervision of a Plan of Arrangement, and other regulatory approvals including merger notification filings in the United States, Canada and other jurisdictions, as well as customary closing conditions. In the event that the transaction does not close, ATI has agreed to pay AMD a termination fee of $162.0 million under circumstances specified in the acquisition agreement. The transaction is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2006.

About AMD
    Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is a leading global provider of innovative microprocessor solutions for computing, communications and consumer electronics markets. Founded in 1969, AMD is dedicated to delivering superior computing solutions based on customer needs that empower users worldwide. For more information visit www.amd.com.

About ATI
    ATI Technologies Inc. is a world leader in the design and manufacture of innovative 3D graphics, PC platform technologies and digital media silicon solutions. An industry pioneer since 1985, ATI is the world's foremost graphics processor unit (GPU) provider and is dedicated to deliver leading-edge performance solutions for the full range of PC and Mac desktop and notebook platforms, workstation, set-top and digital television, game console and handheld device markets. With fiscal 2005 revenues of US $2.2 billion, ATI has approximately 4,000 employees in the Americas, Europe and Asia. ATI common shares trade on NASDAQ (ATYT) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (ATY).
    Last edited by Cotterik; 07-24-2006 at 05:33 AM.

I don't like this merger so much. I love AMD processors but I hate ATi graphics. Hopefully they won't force us to use both or use neither like so many other companies have done in the past.

Guest Guest
    until i went pci-e i loved ati, but since pci-e came out their cards have been... ununspired, i just hope that AMD provide some performance incentive to getting ATi

I don't know about you guys, but in America, AMD is a joke. Most of the people here use Pentium processors, AMD is usually found on the budget pc's. And I agree, Nvidia video cards are better than ATI.
    Last edited by gt4forever; 07-24-2006 at 06:12 AM.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gt4forever
    I don't know about you guys, but in America, AMD is a joke. Most of the people here use Pentium processors, AMD is usually found on the budget pc's. And I agree, Nvidia video cards are better than ATI.
    until Conroe AMD was the best processor make unless you wanted your pc to double up as a toaster, they were in budget pcs because intel were cheap to big companies like Dell, but didnt offer the huge savings to the little people, plus they taught the public clock speed is all, who would you buy? a 3.0 Ghz Celeron or a 2.5 Ghz FX-60?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    until Conroe AMD was the best processor make unless you wanted your pc to double up as a toaster, they were in budget pcs because intel were cheap to big companies like Dell, but didnt offer the huge savings to the little people, plus they taught the public clock speed is all, who would you buy? a 3.0 Ghz Celeron or a 2.5 Ghz FX-60?
    gosh, i had no idea. i really meant pentium 4, not celeron, which is a piece of crap

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gt4forever
    gosh, i had no idea. i really meant pentium 4, not celeron, which is a piece of crap
    i know, but im ephasising the point, people think clock speed is everything when it isnt, the P4 was never an "amazing" chip

thanks for clearing that up mate.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    i know, but im ephasising the point, people think clock speed is everything when it isnt, the P4 was never an "amazing" chip
    It was and still is the amazing uber-hot chip that seems to overheat a bit too much.

Intels aren't great, and not even the Conroe. How much do you suppose AMD would beat Intel when their 65nm comes out to compete with the current 65nm Intels, considering Conroe isn't much faster than AMD's 90nm? It's gotta be a joke that Intel managed to pull that little performance on 65nm and 90nm.

I really thought Pentium D was a joke when tests show that they weren't even close to an average single-core A64.

And people aren't gonna switch from nVidia just because AMD now owns ATi, the great 8-series is yet to come in a short time.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Personally I've always had a thing for ATi over Nvidia (I'm running on Nvidia now not by choice) due to so many bad experiences with the older 2000-2002 era cards which was like a black plague of problems for my beige box (yes I converted to mac also, but back in 2001 lol). Anyway, point is, Nvidia scarred me for life. All the ATi offerings I've sampled have always been of high quality and f*ing fast. Also, Intel's Core 2 Duo and Woodcrest chips are gonna go throw the ball back into AMD's court cos they r gonna kick arse (dual and quad core respectively), with the initial Core Duo's raising the bar already. Either way, our CPU future looks bright!

Thread Information