Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JIDE Barchette

JIDE Barchette

The JIDE was designed by Jacques Durand (hence the name after the initials) and was basically a similar car to the Alpine A110, using a 1300 (later 1600) cc Renault Gordini engine, but in this case placed in front of the rear axle, taking the layout of the Matra Djet.
    The car was introduced in 1969 and the prototype, driven by Henri Rimaudiere, beat several Alpines and Porsche 911s during a national rallye. Also Jean Ragnotti had been using JDs in his early life.

Even taking into account its sporty successes, production never reached high levels and ceased in 1974. Production figures vary. Several cars were present at the Le Mans Classic in June 2006, and total production figures given there were 140, 150 and 200 respectively, whereby obviously nobody cared about the differences. It is a rare car though, so it is nice to have a few presented here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 07-25-2006 at 01:40 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thanks for the info Henk! I've been trying to find something other than a name on this thing for almost a year now. But it's all been in French. ANy idea what kind of chassis it had?

Why is it called the Barchette if it's a coupé?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    My pics from Eifel Rallye 2006 part1
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    My pics from Eifel Rallye 2006 part2
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Quote Originally Posted by bruxell
    Thanks for the info Henk! I've been trying to find something other than a name on this thing for almost a year now. But it's all been in French. ANy idea what kind of chassis it had?
    http://www.chez.com/debrito/Index.html

It looks like it had a central girder chassis, not unlike the Lotus 47 or the front engined Elan.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Sweet! Now all I have to do is learn to read French (Fourth times a charm ) and figure out how much they cost. Then find one, pay for it, and ship it to California only to figure out that I don't fit and that I can't sell it because everyone over here thinks it's a kit-car! It's the perfect plan...

Sweet! Now all I have to do is learn to read French (Fourth times a charm ) and figure out how much they cost. Then find one, pay for it, and ship it to California only to figure out that I don't fit and that I can't sell it because everyone over here thinks it's a kit-car! It's the perfect plan...
    sounds a bit self destructive....(just tell me what you want urgently like to see being translated ), and please whatever you do, don't put an LS2 behind the seats...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    sounds a bit self destructive....(just tell me what you want urgently like to see being translated),
    I guess the most important thing would be to know how many survive, and if there is an established market for them. The production years fall under DOT and EPA exemptions for smog and safety. If there’s any information on the size of the car that would be of interest, as well as chassis and suspension systems (The chassis layout seems to have already been covered –thanks for that!). Also, what is that SCORA that keeps popping up wherever the JIDE is mentioned? It looks similar; maybe it’s a variant. Thanks in advance for anything you can provide!
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    and please whatever you do, don't put an LS2 behind the seats...
    As for the LSx, I like it just fine where GM has already seen fit to put it.

I guess the most important thing would be to know how many survive, and if there is an established market for them. The production years fall under DOT and EPA exemptions for smog and safety. If there’s any information on the size of the car that would be of interest, as well as chassis and suspension systems (The chassis layout seems to have already been covered –thanks for that!). Also, what is that SCORA that keeps popping up wherever the JIDE is mentioned? It looks similar; maybe it’s a variant. Thanks in advance for anything you can provide!

As for the LSx, I like it just fine where GM has already seen fit to put it.
    OK, lets go one by one. The Scora is obviously another car designed by Jaques Durand, more info here.

http://www.chez.com/debrito/Index.html

click on Entree, then again entree and then you'll find a link "scora". If you then click on competiton results for various years yuo'll get to see it, it looks like a wider version of the Jide.
    Last edited by henk4; 01-23-2007 at 01:16 AM.

now for more info on the Jide, click on Jide (about where you clicked for SCORA), then you'll get to see a page with a a.o. a picture of the dash. Underneath is a link to "characteristiues" and if you open that, you'll see much more about sizes and so.

Wow! That thing is SERIOUSLY small! Light too! Am I reading the page right when I see that it uses not only Renault motors, but also suspension? At only 1400lbs the JIDE must fly with a Gordini engine. The chassis looks like a modified perimiter frame with a central backbone; it's almost like the current Corvette chassis in some ways (sshhh, don't tell Slicks).

Wow! That thing is SERIOUSLY small! Light too! Am I reading the page right when I see that it uses not only Renault motors, but also suspension? At only 1400lbs the JIDE must fly with a Gordini engine. The chassis looks like a modified perimiter frame with a central backbone; it's almost like the current Corvette chassis in some ways (sshhh, don't tell Slicks).
    well, it is basically a kit car, and French people are small....and yes the front suspension is based on the Renault 8 Gordini, while the rear suspension uses the R12 Gordini (Front Wheel driven) front suspension. ("Train avant" and "Train Arriere")
    Last edited by henk4; 01-23-2007 at 03:33 AM.

It seems very well conceived and developed for a kit, at least the level of say, a Ginetta. Well beyond that of any American kit of the period like a Fiber-fab. Thanks for your help deciphering all of this. I ran into video of one of these a long time ago on a French hill-climb page and I’ve been wanting to know more ever since.

Here you have a cutaway drawing of the Jidé.
    Nice French racers, extremely agile, but they change hands at premium prices nowadays.

Thread Information