Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: car problem

car problem

I just got this '91 camaro z28, my first car, its got 100,000 miles on it but the engine was rebuilt 8,000 miles ago.

Thing is, its not making any power. It runs alright, engine sounds fine, except for a slight tap at start, exhaust and makes a popping noise at idle, but oil the cars generally been well taken care of. Since this is my first car and the first manual ive driven, i don't know if it was like this when i got it a few weeks ago, but i'm about 95% sure it wasn't

Its not making any power at high rpms, acceleration stops at 3500 rpm for example i can floor it in third gear and it will accelerate to 60-65 mph and 3500 rpm, after that the engine keeps working but there's no acceleration.

Any ideas what could cause this? is it an engine or a transmission problem?

the engine keeps going up of 3500 rpms but the speedo gauge stops? sounds like a bad clutch break-in, or just an old clutch.(its slipping, not engaging when it gets too much power)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

That sounds about right, if the engine refuses to rev anymore after 3500 (misfireing and such) then it could be an ignition problem.

I have reason to think someone did this on purpose to stop me from going fast - so where would someone change something to cause this to happen?

btw just found out my somethings wrong with front suspension and my parking brake cable just broke, I'm not very happy right now and I cracked front spoiler going over bump at an intersection today

damn bumbs... i feel your pain, the roads around where i live are, how should i say it... shit!

every couple feet you hit a pot hole
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Someone bought a lemon... take it to a good garage, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Someone bought a lemon... take it to a good garage, methinks.
    More like a normal used older car.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Take it to a dyno, get it tuned there.

Do the revs continue to rise past 3500rpm?

You should have someone pay attention to it. It sounds like sometyhing is wrong, but maybe not something major. There could be many things wrong with it, including the aforementioned clutch not giving the contact you need. You could also have a problem with whatever "mass air flow" system you have on that car. It will start choking the engine at higher revs because its not maintaining a vacuum, in other words, its leaking. My Ford did the same thing after 150K and it was an easy fix. In fact, giving my "car talk" first impression, thats what I bet it is. All the plastic/rubber bits start to wear out and they just have to be replaced. Its not too expensive. Take it to a good mechanic with the intention of a tune up and tell him whats wrong, get a list of problems, prioritize the list and get to work paying the guy to get to work! This is how it works in the non-mechanic world. I have plenty of "estimate" sheets to prove the method works! (I'm kidding around!)

'the engine keeps working' ... hmmm ... you mean the revs keep climbing? Does it go ok in 1st gear (i.e. you can fly away from a stop light ok) but start misbehaving towards the higher gears?

If (IF IF IF) that's the case, TheOne is almost certainly right. There's not much that can cause that kind of behaviour, and a slipping/worn clutch is almost certainly the problem. The higher the gear, the worse the problem is. If it's bad, you'll even start getting slip in 2nd gear when you floor it. If it's just starting to go, only in top gear.

Try easing the power on very gently on the motorway at about 65mph and you should find the clutch will bite if you're very gentle and you can still wind up speed.

New clutches are usually not too expensive, but might be a bit steep on a Camaro. I wouldn't know. Also with some cars you need to lift the engine out to change the clutch, which doubles your labour bill. My Ford Sierra was like that. Also, don't change the clutch for nothing. Get a second opinion from a good garage - and don't forget, it could just be oil on the clutch so it might be worth riding it out for a few weeks and seeing if things improve. It's not a dangerous fault, so it doesn't hurt to leave it if that's what it is. The worst that'll happen is the slip will get worse.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

If there is oil on the clutch I'd rather fix it now than leave it until the engine/gearbox seizes up. But thats just me.

was gone all day yesterday and most of today- to answer some questions, the revs don't rise past 3500 ever unless its in neutral. It make low end torque fine but power drops off really steeply after 3000 rpm and by 3500 it just stops rising at all. also i have no money- anything done on the car will most likely be done by me and my dad

Ah, won't be the clutch then!
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

Look at the mass airflow sensor, and the ignition system. Both can work at low revs but then cause problems under load.

Thread Information