Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: car problem

Join and ask on this forum: http://www.thirdgen.org/

just one thing i have to offer is possibly valve springs. I have seen them cause this before.

~Couch

Quote Originally Posted by NAASBC355
    just one thing i have to offer is possibly valve springs. I have seen them cause this before.

~Couch
    Valve float?
    All of the springs would have to be shot to cause the problem or it would run very rough.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Final solution, take it to a mechanic. You don't have to pay them to fix the car, just tell you what is wrong. You'll need a diagnostic computer to test some parts (like the mass-airflow sensor.) In the US you have a chain of auto-spares shops that allow you to use a diagnostic computer free of charge (apparently, I don't live there)

Update - today I found vacuum line disconnected, so I reconnected it and drove it for five minutes, right as I got home I noticed smoke coming out from under the hood, turns out the heater control valve that I connected it to was broken, and I had antifreeze boiling out everywhere.

I'm taking it in to a mechanic on monday, he's a friend of my dad so hopefully it won't cost much. But what do you mean about free computer use at mechanics? When we were fixing my mom's corolla, some mechanic charged us like $150 just to plug the car into a computer and reset the check engine light, when nothing else was wrong.

$150 to reset a sensor light... wow

when the mechanic fixes your antifreeze problem just ask him to check over the engine
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    But what do you mean about free computer use at mechanics? When we were fixing my mom's corolla, some mechanic charged us like $150 just to plug the car into a computer and reset the check engine light, when nothing else was wrong.
    Not at a garage, they are supposedly in a chain of auto accessory stores call autozone or something similar.

I want an update on this one...

Yeah Autozone should do a free diagnostic check. On some cars it is as easy as jumping two terminals with a paper clip and then counting blinks. Dont know about 'Maros though.

I agree with Hoot hoot, it sounds like ignition or your af sensor. I would advise joining that web site Slicks gave you, because chances are, someone has been there done that and it's an easy fix.

had no net for a week comcast went down... anyway, the car suddenly fixed itself on tuesday. I revved it at a light, to about 3500-4000 rpm, when I let the clutch out felt something click and it sounded completely different and worked fine for the next two days. Thursday it went into a mechanic for new tires, new cat-back exhaust, new brake rotors, and inspection.

That won't do the clutch any good.

all problem caused by ruined cat. apparently a baseball size piece of it came off and jammed the exhaust, that why i had no power. car wil be fixed tomorrow

Cats are ludicrously expensive. Have fun.

Just take the cat off and put a piece of pipe in it's place.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Unfortunately it's also in for inspection right now, therefore emissions... so i need the cat.

Luckily The mechanic's a friend and can get it done for $200 (its normally $800)

Thread Information