Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIA ban on vertical wings

FIA ban on vertical wings

FIA has banned the vertical wings which BMW introduced at the last GP at Magny Course.
    To me it always looked like they had plans to install a rubber band between the wings and turn it into a catapult, to deal with annoying cars that did not want to move...
    FIA saw it differently though and mentioned that they would spoil visibility. BMW has accepted..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    FIA has banned the vertical wings which BMW introduced at the last GP at Magny Course.
    To me it always looked like they had plans to install a rubber band between the wings and turn it into a catapult, to deal with annoying cars that did not want to move...
    FIA saw it differently though and mentioned that they would spoil visibility. BMW has accepted..
    Why don't they ban wheels too? I mean they help the cars move, so that can't be good can it?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    That's a bunch of BS. It's not like BMW is winning races or destroying the competition with them.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Why don't they ban wheels too? I mean they help the cars move, so that can't be good can it?
    haha your avatar looks like the cat that is sitting right beside me when she was a kitten

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    That's a bunch of BS. It's not like BMW is winning races or destroying the competition with them.

similar contraption was banned before too....noting the wing that sticks out of Arrows for Monaco a few years back....I am more surprised they were able to use them for 1 race.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    similar contraption was banned before too....noting the wing that sticks out of Arrows for Monaco a few years back....I am more surprised they were able to use them for 1 race.....
    That's correct, I think last time they banned them because of security reasons...
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    Any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    haha your avatar looks like the cat that is sitting right beside me when she was a kitten
    Its happycat! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Any pictures?
    Go here: http://www.f1-grandprix.com/photos/tyrrell_98.jpg

Edit: Another pic here: http://www.motorsport.com/magazine/f...s&D=2002-02-25

Also found this at galeforce.com:

"X-wings banned for safety reasons
    [2-May-1998-20h05 CET] - The FIA has officially banned the sidepod mounted X-wings ("pingouins"), which have sprouted on most cars this season, for safety reasons.
    Quoting the case of Jean Alesi (Sauber), who lost one of his X-wings during a pit-stop during the Argentinian Grand Prix, as evidence, the FIA said that these wings were not only dangerous during pit-stops but also had potential to cause injury to the driver or spectators if they were ripped off during a crash. "
    Last edited by magracer; 07-25-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    Zag when they Zig

Arrows had a wing installation much like the BMW's, except on top of the 2 fins there is a small wing that span across it.....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

arrows & jordan's contraption can be found here: http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=125702
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

They should ban Williams to get them out of the way, they are has-beens.

Some of the sh*t the FIA does in the "interest" of sport baffles me... this actually make sense - the wings in question are/were right in front of the driver - it had to obstruct the drivers vision.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

In other news...

This week the FIA have also banned a high-tech damping system developed by Renault and subsequently adopted by other teams for contravening Article 3.15 of the Technical Regulations. Not entirely sure what this system was doing to break the rule as it's something under the skin which is pretty much impossible to get a good look at. Pitpass.com didn't say which other teams actually use the system but suggest that the Michelin runners would be more likely to be affected by the ban. Not good news for the likes of Renault and McLaren as Bridgestone's performance in the last month or so has really given the likes of Ferrari and Toyota a huge edge over the competition. This could further hamper the already struggling Michelin teams.

Full story here - http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=28765
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

BMW tested winglets like on the Hondas and they fell off

Thread Information