Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 997 911 GT3 RSR 2006 - 2012

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i don't know what you mean by 'uncomfortable' though
    where did I used that word?
    the only thing I said is that (I don't thin) a GT3 isn't much more comfortable than an RS, 997 speaking, and for what I read.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    where did I used that word?
    the only thing I said is that (I don't thin) a GT3 isn't much more comfortable than an RS, 997 speaking, and for what I read.
    the GT3 is markedly more comfortable but perhaps not decisively so - the options are there, whereas they are not available in the RS.
    unless your RS hits a pothole and the impact jolts your front end suspension to the lowest setting
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

This doesn't have anything to do with comfort....but I drove a 996 once and didn't really like it at all...it felt heavy, didn't like the floor hinged pedals etc.

Conversely I loved driving my pals Cayman.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I suppose my choice would be, if bounded, between a Carrera S with some options for the interiors, or an RS.
    that's to say a comfy everyday fast car, or a track day weapon.
    even if I don't think I would go for Porsche at all.
    I would love to go Porsche in the future when I make money, squashed Beetle jokes aside.

I would definitely want to pick up a used 997 GT3. It'll definitely be cheap-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    This doesn't have anything to do with comfort....but I drove a 996 once and didn't really like it at all...it felt heavy, didn't like the floor hinged pedals etc.

a 996 GT3? i felt the exact opposite. i thought the steering was a bit light too
    hated the cayman, but then it was a base model with chicktronic. i expect a bit more power and a manual would make a nice difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I would love to go Porsche in the future when I make money, squashed Beetle jokes aside.

I would definitely want to pick up a used 997 GT3. It'll definitely be cheap-ish.
    i want to see what difference the DI makes
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 01-23-2009 at 07:05 PM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

i want to see what difference the DI makes
    Didn't catch you on that. You mean comparing the soon to be updated 997 GT3 to the old 997 GT3?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Didn't catch you on that. You mean comparing the soon to be updated 997 GT3 to the old 997 GT3?
    yeah, i want to see how it feels/what difference it makes with the extra power, if it's as smooth etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post

I had a 996 Carerra which was okay and then a 996 Carerra 4 which was a terrible car.

I've driven a Cayman S in both manual and chicktronic and I hated both of them. At best it felt like an Elise in snowboots.

I love the GT3 RS, the only problem is that unless I was driving directly to a track day or back from one, I'd feel ridiculous with that huge wing on the back. I'd feel like people were looking at me like, "Get lost on the way to the set of The Fast and Furious, did we?"
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I had a 996 Carerra which was okay and then a 996 Carerra 4 which was a terrible car.
    what made the carrera 4 terrible? i've never driven one.
    I've driven a Cayman S in both manual and chicktronic and I hated both of them. At best it felt like an Elise in snowboots.
    i liked that it was a felt slimmer/narrower and a bit more pointy but that was it really
    would love to see a GT3 version though, to see what they can do with the platform
    I love the GT3 RS, the only problem is that unless I was driving directly to a track day or back from one, I'd feel ridiculous with that huge wing on the back. I'd feel like people were looking at me like, "Get lost on the way to the set of The Fast and Furious, did we?"
    haha, i don't like the bent/warped look of the wing on the standard 997 GT3 - maybe the facelift will adopt something like the later model 996 GT3 wing

haha, i don't like the bent/warped look of the wing on the standard 997 GT3
    Same, it doesn't look racey like the RS wing. In fact the RS just looks a whole lot better in my opinion.

What was wrong with the C4 - poor AWD system, extra bulk or what?

By all accounts I've heard the Cayman is great car and a great handler - maybe no Elise but a bit more refined and luxurious no? It is not a looker in my books, but I think it's much better than the Elise which I consider one of the ugliest cars on sale.

What was your problem with the Cayman more specifically?

It's nice to hear from someone who's actually driven these cars.

By all accounts I've heard the Cayman is great car and a great handler - maybe no Elise but a bit more refined and luxurious no? It is not a looker in my books, but I think it's much better than the Elise which I consider one of the ugliest cars on sale.
    Cayman is much more refined than Elise which is barely civilized enough for a medium sized human to drive. Elise are bare bones glorified karts which rattle apart after a few miles. A few owners of them told me that after you receive one you need to get your wrenches and check every fastener.

Don't get me wrong...the Elise/Exige are among my favorites.

from what ive heard and seen. Alot people buy caymens' and make them into track cars. Ive heard nothing but possitive feedback from caymen owners.

Now as for the 997 GT3 RS, its a track car made "street legal". That car on the track is a monster. As a Street Car i dont know about that. Theres a reason why GT3 RS owners have a daily driver and drive there porsche GT3 RS more as a "club event", "car show" or "track day". Same as Ferrari, and Lambo owners...

these exotic race cars are not designed to be driven slow...

Quote Originally Posted by rezmoto View Post
    from what ive heard and seen. Alot people buy caymens' and make them into track cars. Ive heard nothing but possitive feedback from caymen owners.

Now as for the 997 GT3 RS, its a track car made "street legal". That car on the track is a monster. As a Street Car i dont know about that. Theres a reason why GT3 RS owners have a daily driver and drive there porsche GT3 RS more as a "club event", "car show" or "track day". Same as Ferrari, and Lambo owners...

these exotic race cars are not designed to be driven slow...
    there is a white collar, which I see on the road quite regularly, who droves as a daily drive an orange GT3RS. You can clearly see the tie and the briefcase trough the safety cage so, no more of this common stuff please.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Some pics of the 2009 RSR by Flying Lizard Motorsports.

Sorry for low-res.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information