Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 997 911 GT3 RSR 2006 - 2012

The GT2 engines will be 4L and have been for some time I think.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Wait, why has displacement gone up, but torque is the same and power went down? I could see dropping the power but getting more torque or at a lower RPM, but this doesn't really make sense. Regulation changes?
    IIRC the power is restricted by the rules.
    then the torque could be the same but available at a larger range of revs.

apart from that, I don't like the new front.
    Still it's a racing car so it's not its main purpose to be pretty.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

It's a very cool car and the GT3s (road and race) are the only Porsches left that get me excited. Unfortunately most of the time spent in this car will be watching the taillights of Ferrari 430s
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (high-res 4900*3300)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    It's a very cool car and the GT3s (road and race) are the only Porsches left that get me excited. Unfortunately most of the time spent in this car will be watching the taillights of Ferrari 430s
    Yes, Ferrari kept up with Porsche's upgrades in 2008 so I suspect the RSR will see more tails this year.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    IIRC the power is restricted by the rules.
    then the torque could be the same but available at a larger range of revs.
    Autoblog said they optimised the torque curve so I think you've got it bang on Leon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    A 4L flat-6 would have to be in some sort of - I think it's called - subframe as it isn't well suited to being stressed to the best of my knowledge. Aren't the new LMP1 regs gonna be for 4L engines?
    AFAIK the LMP2 engine aren't supposed to be stressed if it's production based?
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Are GT3s still in production for the road?
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by togos452 View Post
    Are GT3s still in production for the road?
    i thought they stopped until the facelifted model.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

tbh, I think the standard GT3 is a little out of the market recently. it isn't that much more comfortable than the RS, being also slower. it's not as cool as the RS, but still more expensive than a Carrera S. I think I didn't even saw a GT3 or maybe only one or two since 2006, while I saw at least 10 (different) RS in the same period.

tbh, I think the standard GT3 is a little out of the market recently. it isn't that much more comfortable than the RS, being also slower. it's not as cool as the RS, but still more expensive than a Carrera S. I think I didn't even saw a GT3 or maybe only one or two since 2006, while I saw at least 10 (different) RS in the same period.
    Actually, an optioned up Carrera S (with all the performance bits and the wing, etc.) last time I did it came to around $3,000 less than a GT3. So, why would you have an optioned up Carrera S when you could have a GT3 for a little bit more?

I would choose the GT3. The RS is a little crazy and a little more expensive, so why bother? Although if you were giving me the RS for free, I wouldn't ever pass it up, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Actually, an optioned up Carrera S (with all the performance bits and the wing, etc.) last time I did it came to around $3,000 less than a GT3. So, why would you have an optioned up Carrera S when you could have a GT3 for a little bit more?

I would choose the GT3. The RS is a little crazy and a little more expensive, so why bother? Although if you were giving me the RS for free, I wouldn't ever pass it up, of course.
    I suppose my choice would be, if bounded, between a Carrera S with some options for the interiors, or an RS.
    that's to say a comfy everyday fast car, or a track day weapon.
    even if I don't think I would go for Porsche at all.

there are way more 997 GT3's around.
    for our club alone there's around 15 or so, compared to three GT2's and three GT3RS'.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    there are way more 997 GT3's around.
    for our club alone there's around 15 or so, compared to three GT2's and three GT3RS'.
    here is the contrary. on the other hand, I never saw a 996 GT3RS, and only a couple of GT3 (mk1 I think).

here is the contrary. on the other hand, I never saw a 996 GT3RS, and only a couple of GT3 (mk1 I think).
    yeah, only seen two 996 GT3RS, and possibly one extra at the porsche driver training club (couldn't tell if same car). the mk 1 GT3 (clubsports) are popular because they're cheapish - less than a new boxster. 996 GT3's in general are about as common as the 997's.

i don't know what you mean by 'uncomfortable' though

Thread Information