Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Greenpeace vs SUVs

The second (public) reply from Greenpeace to my email...

Dear Peter,

I would like to apologise unreservedly for the technical error which caused your email to take thirty years to be delivered. For my younger readers, I should explain that a 2CV was a primitive form of motorised transport popular in the middle of the last century. If any Greenpeace supporters still own one of them, they may be interested to know that Beaulieu Motor Museum is currently holding an exhibition of 2CVs, including the original 1939 prototype, and so it probably is a very good time to sell. Remember who tipped you off, eh?

Ok, so we can now say with certainty that Greenpeace activists have problems understanding irony

Regarding 'where the real problems are', whilst aviation is the fastest growing source of greenhouse gas emissions, road transport will continue to be a far larger source for a good few years yet.

A man who obviously takes time over his research... Energy Bulletin reckons that pollution caused by flying is, a its current level, causing twice the damage that cars and power stations on the ground do. I'm not even going to go in to how much more is being done already by car firms while aircraft operators still fly 30 year old planes!

Still, if it makes you feel any better, I was acquitted of charges arising from an aviation protest last week. Rather spookily, the exact same charges are currently being threatened by a certain ex-membership secretary...

Hmm, no it doesn't, because given the way Greenpeace usually make their point heard I'm pretty sure it would have been ill-conceived, excessively vicious and a right pain in the arse for passengers and the poor suckers that work for the people causing all the problems

Finally, your hurtful and wounding accusation that I write like a 'foot-stamping stroppy teen'.

Guilty as charged on that one, I suppose.

Something to be proud of?

I do try to sound mature, serious and sophisticated, Peter, honestly I do. Sometimes, when I'm writing about the biggest mass-extinction in history, the accidental genocide we're inflicting on Africa or the destruction of every coastal city and community in the world, I really feel that I'm getting there, but when I'm writing about the Mitsubishi Warrior ("It's Hard") or a Range Rover that can't go off-road, I just regress horribly. Sorry. In future I shall model myself more closely on the restrained, thoroughly adult work of professional motoring journalists.

Right, so it's ok to slag people off and not actually know what you're talking about so long as it can only have an impact on the method that most people use to get around, to work, get kids from school and so on.

I have no problem with people taking the piss, but only when it's done with wit and humour... not "he's a wanker... HAH fu*king HAH"

If you can send me a piece about the Warrior ("It's Hard") which doesn't sound just a bit juvenile, I shall gladly post it as a useful example for all the aspiring Motoring Journalists and Editors out there.

Best wishes,

Graham

Conclusion: Narrow-minded, mediocre journalist needs to get a clue and do some research.

I would have sent this to Greenpeace direct, but seen as they didn't have the common courtesy to let me know that they'd be lambasting my perfectly reasonably voiced concerns in such public fashion... I couldn't be arsed.
    Last edited by MrKipling; 08-07-2006 at 04:57 AM.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    I would like to apologise unreservedly for the technical error which caused your email to take thirty years to be delivered. For my younger readers, I should explain that a 2CV was a primitive form of motorised transport popular in the middle of the last century. If any Greenpeace supporters still own one of them, they may be interested to know that Beaulieu Motor Museum is currently holding an exhibition of 2CVs, including the original 1939 prototype, and so it probably is a very good time to sell. Remember who tipped you off, eh?

Ok, so we can now say with certainty that Greenpeace activists have problems understanding irony
    You are obviously having the same problem
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

No I wouldn't say that... I just have a problem with people being facetious!

Wait, wait ,wait hold on...CO2 the gas that cars make and send into the air...accounts for...hold it...0.01% of all greenhouse gases, and it is the most abundent man made gas. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    No I wouldn't say that... I just have a problem with people being facetious!
    that is running around the issue he may have had that same problem with you....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    that is running around the issue he may have had that same problem with you....
    Yeah I spose so.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Wait, wait ,wait hold on...CO2 the gas that cars make and send into the air...accounts for...hold it...0.01% of all greenhouse gases, and it is the most abundent man made gas. Nuff said.
    I think CO2 accounts for ~ 0.01% of the entire atmosphere, not just greenhouse gasses.

And I don't think that you can really argue that it isn't a problem because it is a relatively small concentration, if, arguably, a 0.02% CO2 led to the death of everything on the planet...
    Thanks for all the fish

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    some good points there, but why draw Greenpeace' attention to old cars?
    I agree...and don't draw too much attention to the classics! I love those, and would like my loophooles to remain intact, thank you

I can see what you mean, though. Many times I have seen something where I agree with the basic premise of it, and even find it amusing, or technically well made, yet find it to be something that would probably alienate more people than it attracts. It gets like that with anything where people lose sight of the cause because they are so blinded by their zeal and/or hatred towards something. This is but one more (and thankfully, comparatively minor) example of it.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information