Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peugeot 205 1983-1998

Peugeot 205 1983-1998

Peugeot 205

The Peugeot 205 was a supermini car produced by the French manufacturer Peugeot from 1983 to 1998.

It was declared 'Car of the Decade' by CAR Magazine in 1990. It also won What Car?'s Car of the Year for 1983

History
    The styling of the 205 is often thought to be a Pininfarina design, however Gerard Welter claims it as an in-house; Pininfarina only styled the Cabriolet. It is often credited as the car which turned Peugeot's fortunes around. Before the 205, Peugeot was considered the most conservative of France's "big three" car manufacturers, producing large saloons such as the 504 and 505. The genesis of the 205 lay within Peugeot's takeover in 1978 of Chrysler's European divisions Simca and the former Rootes Group, which had the necessary expertise in making small cars including the Simca 1100 and Hillman Imp.

Early 205s used the X engine (commonly nicknamed the Douvrin "Suitcase Engine") from the older Peugeot 104, although these were later (1987-1988) replaced with the newer XU and TU-series engines, which were of PSA design. Engines ranged from 954 cc to 1905 cc engine displacement, in carburettor or fuel injected petrol and diesel versions. Its use of the now standard PSA Peugeot Citroën suspension layout of MacPherson struts at the front, with torsion bar suspension rear suspension, that debuted in the Peugeot 305 estate, was a key ingredient of the success of the 205. This is fully independent using torsion bars (Torsion spring) and trailing arms. It is very compact and was designed to minimise suspension intrusion into the boot, giving a wide flat loadspace, while providing excellent ride and handling.

It was launched on 24 February 1983, with British sales beginning in August that year. Shortly after its launch, it was narrowly pipped to the European Car of the Year award by the similar sized Fiat Uno, but ultimately (according to the award organizers) it would enjoy a better image and a longer high market demand than its Italian competitor.

The diesel models employed the XUD PSA Diesel inline-four engine, lifted from the Citroën BX which was introduced in September 1982. These XUD engines has a capacity of 1769 cc (XUD7) and 1905 cc (XUD9) and are closely related to the XU5 and XU9 petrol engines in the BX16 and BX19 of the time respectively, as well as the engines later used in the 205 GTI 1.6 and Automatic (also 1.6) and GTI 1.9 respectively (other Peugeot/Citroën [PSA] products, such as the 305 and Talbot Horizon as well as the BX, used the XUD9 1905 cc Diesel engine of the same capacity as the 205 GTI 1.9 and Citroën BX 19 petrol engined models). The XUD7 (and XUD9) Diesel Engines were world-beating and so petrol-like that many buyers were won over by petrol car performance combined with diesel economy.

There were also various versions intended for commercial use, such as the two-seater XA-series. There was also the "205 Multi", a tall-bodied special version on XA or XE-basis built by independent coachbuilders like Gruau and Durisotti. Gruau called their XA-based two-seater version the "VU", while the five-seat XE-based version was called the "VP". Durisotti began building the 205 Multi in 1986; it was called the "205 Multi New Look".

The DTurbo and the end of an era
    In 1991, the 205 DTurbo was launched with a powerful, turbocharged version of the 1769 cc diesel engine. This was considered to be the diesel equivalent of the GTi models; a trend in giving diesel engines more powerful engines followed.

The 205 was an instant hit, and the styling parameters that it set were echoed in every Peugeot model that was to follow. The exterior styling was never face lifted or significantly altered in its 15-year production run. There was a dashboard redesign for the 1988 model year, and in late 1990 the 205 received new door design and cards, clear front indicators, new 'smoked' rear light clusters, single point petrol injection and catalytic converters were introduced, to meet the new 1992 pollution limits. The engines were continuously updated, with the new "TU" engines introduced in 1988.

The Peugeot 205 was discontinued in the United Kingdom in 1996, 205s have been known to be registered as late as August 1996, putting them on a: "P" plate, late 205 models are easily found registered in 1995 which puts them on an: "N" plate; both models are generally found sporting the "Style" or "Forever" brandings with decals on the doors and wings with a "205" decal on both doors. It is believed that the 1996 model 205s are most commonly found in two colours consisting of either Red or a Metallic Blue/Grey, the metallic colour more seldom seen than the Red - but both cars on a: "P" plate are quite rare. The single biggest visual difference between very late 205s (1993 on) and earlier ones, is the deletion of the black louvred plastic panel between the rear lights on the tailgate. It's just painted body colour.

In continental Europe, 205 production was gradually slowed down following the introduction of the joint replacement models, the 106 (1991), and 306 (early 1993). The Peugeot 205 was still offered in the "Sacré Numéro" and "Génération" models until the end of the production in 1998, the last models were GLD 1.7 configuration and were sold in Argentina. Most of the later European versions were only sold in France. Due to the pressure from the market, the company finally built a direct replacement in the 206, which was launched in 1998. 5,278,050 Peugeot 205s have been sold, and a significant percentage of them were still in circulation as of 2009. As of January 2014, there are now fewer than 14,000 on the road in the United Kingdom, compared to the peak high of 374,773 as of December 1994.

GTi (the 205 GTi has its own thread in the Hide-Out)
    The 205 was first available as a GTI in 1984 (the same year that the three-door bodystyle debuted) and was initially powered by a fuel injected 1.6 petrol engine. The 1.9 GTI was launched in 1986 and the 1.9 engine was also used in the GTI version of the larger 309.

Rallye (the Rally has its own thread in the Hide Out)
    From 1988 to 1992 Peugeot produced another variant of the 205, the 205 Rallye, which was engineered and produced by Peugeot–Talbot sport. This edition of the 205 was positioned as a cost effective alternative to the 205 GTI, retaining its sporty character, but being less expensive to buy or maintain.

info: wikipedia.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 12-05-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Peugeot 205 #2
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 12-05-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Strange that such a successful car wasn't posted before.
    Here is a photo of our former Peugeot 205 1.9 XAD, Yes its a Diesel

Pretty heavy engine in such a small car.
    Yes it was in poor shape, but we bought it for only 400 euro's.
    Last edited by Duell; 07-26-2006 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duell
    Strange that such a successful car wasn't posted before.
    It was wrongly posted on the "request" thread.
    400€ for that 205 is still cheap, no matter the condition. Those engines were oldfashioned but though.

I'd love a 205 GTi 1.9. I bet you could have SOOOOOO much fun with one of those
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    I'd love a 205 GTi 1.9. I bet you could have SOOOOOO much fun with one of those
    There's not a huge difference from a 1.6 to a 1.9. The 1.6 is a more keen revver and sounds more nervous too. They're both amazing cars.
    I would also like a Rallye 1.3 with the original double Webers.

At last! your first Hide-out thread, Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    There's not a huge difference from a 1.6 to a 1.9. The 1.6 is a more keen revver and sounds more nervous too. They're both amazing cars.
    I would also like a Rallye 1.3 with the original double Webers.
    I've got a 205 XT with 1.3 or 1.4 engine with double Webers! But I don't know if that's a rallye version. It got 89bhp ore something like that. Still, it go's quite well. Friend of me has got the 205 gti 1.6, that's fun as well.

When driving my 320i it is not for sure, that I can drive away from the GTI. Better performance from the engine, but I have a need of bigger balls when it comes to tight cornering. Even fast cornering there is a obvouisly difference.

I'm not that found of FF cars, and actually don't like french cars in general (except for the old real french cars) but being a french FF car, I have to admit, I really like this one. The looks and handlig of it.

Well, I think noone does hot hatches like the french. I'm a big fan of RWD, yet I love the french hot-hatches: the 205 GTI, the Renault 5 GT Turbo, the Clio 16V and Williams and all following Clios Sport are great cars and huge fun. And they are BMW threatening fast too.
    We have an hardcore 205 GTI owner here at this forums. Black300ZX has 2 or 3 GTI's stripped-out and in race spec. His father races them on rally-cross competitions and he beats pretty much everything with the 205's.

Quote Originally Posted by McLareN
    At last! your first Hide-out thread, Hugo
    Says who?
    But I have contributed with pics to threads made before...
    Last edited by McReis; 07-28-2006 at 02:47 AM.

Well, I think noone does hot hatches like the french. I'm a big fan of RWD, yet I love the french hot-hatches: the 205 GTI, the Renault 5 GT Turbo, the Clio 16V and Williams and all following Clios Sport are great cars and huge fun. And they are BMW threatening fast too.
    We have an hardcore 205 GTI owner here at this forums. Black300ZX has 2 or 3 GTI's stripped-out and in race spec. His father races them on rally-cross competitions and he beats pretty much everything with the 205's.

Says who?
    Don't forget Mustang and his Pug 205...

It's funny, Peugeot seem to have lost their way. They were the original gods of the hot hatch, I mean, the 205, 309, 106 GTi/Rallye, and the 306 GTi-6 & 306 Rallye... and then they went bad no hot 307, a totally disappointing 206 GTi, a letdown GTi-180, and now a 207 GT Turbo with... well, not very much going for it at all.

Good to see Renault are still following the values that made it a main player.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Don't forget Mustang and his Pug 205...

It's funny, Peugeot seem to have lost their way. They were the original gods of the hot hatch, I mean, the 205, 309, 106 GTi/Rallye, and the 306 GTi-6 & 306 Rallye... and then they went bad no hot 307, a totally disappointing 206 GTi, a letdown GTi-180, and now a 207 GT Turbo with... well, not very much going for it at all.

Good to see Renault are still following the values that made it a main player.
    Mustang has already his face hangin on the walls of UCP living room, inside a golden frame, by his rallying achievements, shunts and bad posts.
    That's not a case of the 205 being good. James is crazy enough to be a fast driver. Wich doesn't mean David's father isn't also a good and crazy driver. He is!

In fact the 206 GTi was a let down, wich is a shame, as the standard 206 was a great drive and a good looking car in my opinion.
    The 207 will have another GT Turbo. This time a 2.0. Lets see how good i can get. But it's hard to beat the purity of the Clio's N/A engine.

Mustang has already his face hangin on the walls of UCP living room, inside a golden frame, by his rallying achievements, shunts and bad posts.
    That's not a case of the 205 being good. James is crazy enough to be a fast driver. Wich doesn't mean David's father isn't also a good and crazy driver. He is!

In fact the 206 GTi was a let down, wich is a shame, as the standard 206 was a great drive and a good looking car in my opinion.
    The 207 will have another GT Turbo. This time a 2.0. Lets see how good i can get. But it's hard to beat the purity of the Clio's N/A engine.
    I intend to get myself in there now

The 206 is probably one of the best-looking hatches ever made, the 180 even more so... just a shame, that's all. The 207 is fugly- no amount of bhp can change that!!

Let's not forget the Megane 225...

Saw a Clio 182 Cup the other day, looked fabulous.

Says who?
    Says the search engine

I allready drove as a passenger with the 5 GT Turbo, really an amazing car. Had a R5 GT for sale a few weeks ago, and there is now a Clio Williams edition for sale. But it's with a 1.8l instead of the 2.0

Peugeot 205 #4

Thread Information