Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why flames Come out ouf the exhaust??

Why flames Come out ouf the exhaust??

How u doin pplz.
    Ive just been wondering why some racing cars have flame comming out of the tip of the exhaust.

I know a bit about why that happens, (a rich fuel and air mixture, and something about the valvetiming) but dont know exactly what takes place.

WHAT exactly happens that causes the flame to be seen at the end of the exhaust tube.
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

Flames come out of the exhaust if you run it on pure nos. It can ruin the engine though.
    boobs

Quote Originally Posted by bballmikey105
    Flames come out of the exhaust if you run it on pure nos. It can ruin the engine though.
    I hope you're not serious about this reply...

im not completely sure, but I know that some ppl (not race cars...) burn gas outta their exhaust directly....

all it is is the burn process isn't complete when the gases suppose to be exhausted (i don't even know if thats a really word hahaha). any way thats the reason why you see the flame at the end of the exhaust. all cars do it a bit, but most cars aren't moving enough fuel through for the burn to last long enough to be seen at the end of the exhaust. i hope thats what it is

Basicly the flames come out when your car does give the engine to much fuel and it cant burn all in the engine and when it comes out of the exhauste the "cold" air makes it's density to grow and it ignites from the heat of your engine exhaust.
    -I live my life a quater mile att a time.
    -It dose´t mater if you win by an inch or an mile, wining´s wining.
    -It dosen´t mater if your car goes 0-60 in 5s if you can´t drive it to the max.
    -I fell the need......the need for speed.

Bytw you can make the flames come out on older or newercars(more difficult) by cuting the spark of for an milli second.

But it does it on Need For Speed Underground (Which is such a cool l33t megaa game) so it must be true you don't know anything my Dodge Neon on it goes mega fast with the flames out of the exhaust so ur wrong sahhaaaa

LOL its true if you use nos there comes flmaes out of the exhaust because of the fact that Nitrous oxide is made up of 2 parts nitrogen and one part oxygen. During the combustion process in an engine, at about 572 degrees F, nitrous breaks down and releases oxygen. This extra oxygen creates additional power by allowing more fuel to be burned. and this means that you will se flames from the exhaust because your car will pump more fuel and som will not ingnite in the engine. (i think this was why i hope im right and not showelling BS)

Like rally cars, they do it a lot! The 6R4 used to do it a lot to *sniff* before it was put up for sale *weeps uncontrolably* i loved that car.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

rally cars do it because of their ALS (anti-lag system) which basicaly dumps fuel into the turbine which ignites, expands and spins the turbo to eliminate lag. the fuel is still burning as it comes out the exhaust
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

well the V8 Supercars quite often are shown with flames coming out of the exhaust pipe, but i always used to put it down to the engines using street 98 octane petrol rather than a special race blend. after reading most of the replies here im having to reconsider my reasoning
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7
    rally cars do it because of their ALS (anti-lag system) which basicaly dumps fuel into the turbine which ignites, expands and spins the turbo to eliminate lag. the fuel is still burning as it comes out the exhaust
    megotmea7 is right...

Check out this LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed
    How u doin pplz.
    Ive just been wondering why some racing cars have flame comming out of the tip of the exhaust.

I know a bit about why that happens, (a rich fuel and air mixture, and something about the valvetiming) but dont know exactly what takes place.

WHAT exactly happens that causes the flame to be seen at the end of the exhaust tube.

1. Well if your a ricer , then you probably have a "flamethrower" (which they used on the cars in 2f2f)
    2. If you are using a high compression engine what low octain fuel, it could misfire.
    3. if you are using "Top Fuel" (nitromethane) in your engine, then the combustion is still occuring after the exhaust cycle, and out of the tail pipes. (I really really really dought this is the case )

Sorry if I repated someone elses reason, I have not read any responces yet
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

My ten cents worth. I beleive it to be no more than the combustion of unburnt fuel being ignited by extremeley hot exhaust pipes. In racing cars the pipes are fairly short so when rich mixture is dumped in during decelleration, it reaches the air fairly quickly and ignites due to the heat. The proximity of the tip to the extractor system will also play a part in making the tips unusually hot. Matra, how did I do?
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information