Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why flames Come out ouf the exhaust??

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    The proximity of the tip to the extractor system will also play a part in making the tips unusually hot. Matra, how did I do?
    For non-cat cars and normal fuels the flame at tip is more to do with the oxygen available.
    Not a lot of air in the pipe so it won't burn.
    It's true that shorter pipes mean hotter gas and more likely to self-combust on meeting air.

Local trade show had a new 'must have' for the boy racers
    it was an injector into the tail pipe and a spark generator.
    Screw it into the last couple of inches of the pipe, plumb the fuel to it, and wire it to a switch. Press the switch and it squirts a small amout of fuel and ignites it to get "realistic flames" from the exhaust
    Kids in baseball caps all seemed to have one clutched in their hands !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

you mean flames like this .....
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are two reasons why this could happen, one is the ecu and the car itself is old which could lead to mistakes in the valve timing, the exhaust cycle starts before the combustion cycle is over and the hot gasses created during the combustion process shoot out the back of the muffler

The other reason is that the car is installed with an anti lag system which lowers turbo lag. When a driver lifts off the throttle on a turbocharged car the turbo is still spinning pumping more and more air into the intercooler, the blow off valve then opens to release all this pressure or else the compressed air will shoot back the other way stalling the turbo. when this happens the turbo's slows down since there is less exhaust gas to spool it up. when the driver accelerates again he will experience huge lag since the turbo will have to wait till it gets back to its original speed. Rally cars cant afford to have this type of handicap expecially since they are fitted with an air restrictor. Instead when the driver lifts off the throttle during cornering the valves are opened early and combustion of the fuel/air mixture keeps the turbo spinning. This system although extremely effective is very damaging for the turbo exhaust manafold and the engine itself, that is why they are not outfitted on street cars, well along with the fact they are so loud you will be charged with disturbing the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by stratos
    you mean flames like this .....
    yep just like those flames ...

No turbo, short exhaust and I dont think they have cats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

ok heres how it works

ok i didnt read the whole thread but if this has allready been said ime sorry ok the v8 supercars u go on about is becouse there running straight through exhaust running at the temps they run it ignights the unburnt fule witch comes out of any engine if the exhaust had a cat it couldent do this becouse a cat burns all the fule to lower the hydrocarbon lvls

RE: Pure NOS

Quote Originally Posted by bballmikey105
    Flames come out of the exhaust if you run it on pure nos. It can ruin the engine though.

i hope ur not serious about that if u ran pure NOS u would blow up th engine
    it actually comes from when the gas does not burn completely in the cylinder and is still burning when it comes out of the exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by nrcafootball68

it actually comes from when the gas does not burn completely in the cylinder and is still burning when it comes out of the exhaust
    ok first off this thread was closed like a month ago ...

2nd you CANT run an engine on NOS, its not combustable

and yes the misfires are caused by either a valve opening too early or unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust, neither of these things is normal and if it happens in your vehicle take it to a mechanic for maintenance as soon as possible

Did you guys see the movie 2 fast 2 furious? If you did, remember that seen were 4 cars are racing down the street at night and each car has a flame coming out of the tail pipe the same color as the cars paint? Any ideas how they did that?

Taz.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

this thread was closed a week ago,lol. btw......ya wouldn't think they made the flames out of the exhaust through computers while the cars were goin at 20-25mph? like the first movie. + you can always put those flamethrowers in the back like in an episode of "pimp my ride" where they put'em at the exhaust tips of an old mustang.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Did you guys see the movie 2 fast 2 furious? If you did, remember that seen were 4 cars are racing down the street at night and each car has a flame coming out of the tail pipe the same color as the cars paint? Any ideas how they did that?

Taz.
    George Lucas.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by nrcafootball68

Nitrous oxide is an Oxidizer. You wouldn't "blow up the engine" if you ran it pure, because it can't burn by itself. You would just spray something completely useless into the combustion chambers.

Do a little research before you misinform people while trying to correct them...

flames often appear when racing cars downchange. The engine is running fast, whereas the throttle is actually closed (just after the obligatory downchange blip when racing), this means cylinders won't be filled optimally. It takes more time to burn the smaller amount of mixture and when the exhaust valve is open the mixture is still burning. Of course a hot exhaust exacerbates all this glorious infernal mayhem! If we were all driving open exhausts we'd hear popping every time we lift off the throttle, using the engine as a brake.

I tried to put the flames down to ignition timing, although I cannot see when it would ignite too late, as ignitions are equipped with vacuum retardation (is this the correct term?) and centrifugal weights.

If someone has a better suggestion, please tell us.

I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 08-06-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pretygirl View Post
    I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.
    Delete the white text spam? Oh, sorry.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information